Cost of decent new road bike?

Old April 4th 04, 09:04 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

Default Cost of decent new road bike?

Hello all,

I'm debating whether to upgrade my existing bike or buy a new one. How
much can I expect to pay for a decent new road bike? Decent meaning, as
cheap as possible given a few constraints:

1. If I buy a new bike, I want it to be durable. Given appropriate
babying, I'd like it to last 20 years or more.

2. Heavy is fine. I'm no racer. Steel chainrings? Sounds great to me.
Heavier and more durable wins over lighter (generally).

3. 7 speeds is fine. (It seems that nobody makes less than 8 anymore, so
that's fine too.)

4. Purchase would happen this fall or winter (need time to save).

Basically, I'm looking for a utilitarian, comfortable road bike that will
last me a long time and maybe take me touring sometime. What does such a
machine cost these days?

I see there have been many threads on the general economics of upgrading
vs. buying new, and I'm not interested in more discussion on that. I'm
looking to get a feel for what I'd need to spend on a new one, so I can
make an informed decision for myself.

Another consideration is that my existing bike has little chance of being
stolen given the paint scratches and 1983 technology, but a shiny new bike
would be much higher risk, esp. since I park it on campus with fair
regularity.

I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Reid

--
http://reidster.net

Old April 4th 04, 09:21 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm debating whether to upgrade my existing bike or buy a new one. How
much can I expect to pay for a decent new road bike? Decent meaning, as
cheap as possible given a few constraints:

1. If I buy a new bike, I want it to be durable. Given appropriate
babying, I'd like it to last 20 years or more.

If you're really expecting to get 20 years out of a bike, the amortized cost
becomes pretty darned low!

2. Heavy is fine. I'm no racer. Steel chainrings? Sounds great to me.
Heavier and more durable wins over lighter (generally).

Steel chainrings are generally an indication of something that's more
cheaply made and won't shift as well. They'll also be more difficult to
replace if they get bent, because they're typically thinner and don't just
"drop in" like aluminum ones do. You'll typically require a thin spacer,
which may, or may not, be easily found.

3. 7 speeds is fine. (It seems that nobody makes less than 8 anymore, so
that's fine too.)

If you're going to keep the bike around for a long time, 7 speeds may be a
legacy issue. 8-speed equipment is much easier to buy than 7-speed (many
more choices), and this will become more of a problem with time. If you go
8-speed, you have a lot more options down the road, since 8-speed equipment
is more readily adaptable to 9-speed, which, again, gives you that many more
options and allows you to keep it running longer.

4. Purchase would happen this fall or winter (need time to save).

Basically, I'm looking for a utilitarian, comfortable road bike that will
last me a long time and maybe take me touring sometime. What does such a
machine cost these days?

You might look at a touring bike, such as the TREK 520, which runs about
$1000. Or perhaps an X01 "utility"/cyclocross bike, for around $900.
Either one gets you very sturdy equipment, a well-made frame, lifetime
warranty on the frameset, and a company that will probably still be in
business 20 years from now.

I see there have been many threads on the general economics of upgrading
vs. buying new, and I'm not interested in more discussion on that. I'm
looking to get a feel for what I'd need to spend on a new one, so I can
make an informed decision for myself.

Another consideration is that my existing bike has little chance of being
stolen given the paint scratches and 1983 technology, but a shiny new bike
would be much higher risk, esp. since I park it on campus with fair
regularity.

Could be more trouble than it's worth (and more cost) trying to upgrade a
pre-STI, pre-dual-pivot-brake, pre-130mm axle spacing bike. And, if you've
got a lot of miles on it, there's always the chance that the frame is
approaching its lifespan as well (figure 35-50k miles for a frame, as a
rough rule of thumb; some last longer, some less).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 4th 04, 10:27 PM
Gooserider

"Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'm debating whether to upgrade my existing bike or buy a new one. How
much can I expect to pay for a decent new road bike? Decent meaning, as
cheap as possible given a few constraints:

1. If I buy a new bike, I want it to be durable. Given appropriate
babying, I'd like it to last 20 years or more.

2. Heavy is fine. I'm no racer. Steel chainrings? Sounds great to me.
Heavier and more durable wins over lighter (generally).

3. 7 speeds is fine. (It seems that nobody makes less than 8 anymore, so
that's fine too.)

4. Purchase would happen this fall or winter (need time to save).

Basically, I'm looking for a utilitarian, comfortable road bike that will
last me a long time and maybe take me touring sometime. What does such a
machine cost these days?

You have basically described a touring bike, or a cyclocross bike. Here are
some:

Rei Novara Randonee----$799

http://tinyurl.com/2uh9k

Jamis Aurora-------------$729.95

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/jamis/aurora.html

Trek 520-----$1099.99

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/520.jsp

Fuji Touring------$840

http://tinyurl.com/2c794

Of course, there's always eBay, if you do your research and know your
measurements. New bikes from Iron Horse(aluminum frames) are available there
for about $400 or so. Used bikes abound, and can be quite a deal, but caveat
emptor!

Mike

Old April 4th 04, 11:43 PM
Q.

"Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'm debating whether to upgrade my existing bike or buy a new one. How
much can I expect to pay for a decent new road bike? Decent meaning, as
cheap as possible given a few constraints:

snip
Basically, I'm looking for a utilitarian, comfortable road bike that will
last me a long time and maybe take me touring sometime. What does such a
machine cost these days?

I see there have been many threads on the general economics of upgrading
vs. buying new, and I'm not interested in more discussion on that. I'm
looking to get a feel for what I'd need to spend on a new one, so I can
make an informed decision for myself.

snip

For what it's worth, I've been looking into the Felt F80 myself, for around
$800. Most decent low end road bikes I've looked at fall in that price
range.
http://www.feltracing.com/2004_bikes/f80.html
Anything less and the parts get kinda rinky dink.

C.Q.C.

Old April 4th 04, 11:56 PM
Ron Hardin

My Huffys typically last 40k miles, the thing that does them in being
that enough parts _simultaneously_ need replacement that it's cheaper
to buy a new Huffy.

Huffy has a mail order parts department and getting replacements is
no problem.

My triple chainwheel plus bearings and axle runs about $15. The parts
are cheap, ie.

I happen to have an ``Ironman'' triathelon at the moment, which was
about $150 new, one of their upscale 1998 models. 8k miles a year,
year in and year out.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 5th 04, 12:10 AM
DDB

You're saying you put 8000 miles a year on a Huffy?!?!

I'm skeptical..........................

but even if you do ...damn that must hurt!!!

Old April 5th 04, 02:03 AM
David Reuteler

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, if that makes any difference.

do you ride in the winter? (and before you laugh i'm from minneapolis).
if you do i'd be partial to aluminum not least of all for aesthetics
once the salt gets to it.
--
david reuteler

Old April 5th 04, 02:58 AM
bfd

"David Reuteler" wrote in message
Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, if that makes any difference.

do you ride in the winter? (and before you laugh i'm from minneapolis).
if you do i'd be partial to aluminum not least of all for aesthetics
once the salt gets to it.
--
david reuteler

A bike that should meet all your concerns and you ought to consider is the
Rivendell Romulus he

http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_romulusframes.html

Alternatively, if you plan on doing more trails/offroad use, check out the
Atlantis:
http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_atlantisframes.html

Old April 5th 04, 05:32 AM
David Reuteler

bfd wrote:
A bike that should meet all your concerns and you ought to consider is the
Rivendell Romulus he

one minnesota winter would have that steel bike looking like an old schwinn
varsity. structurally i'm sure it'd be just fine, but aesthetically no.
my old cannondale weathered many a winter and looked reasonably good.

isn't rivendell in, like, the bay area? do they even have snow there?
--
david reuteler

True Cost of a Supermarket Bike Elisa Francesca Roselli General 41 January 25th 04 04:18 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM