The 10 commandments

Old May 24th 13, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default The 10 commandments

What commandments/rules would you offer to a novice who's just bought a
bike, to help them survive biking, particularly in the (sub)urban roads
landscape?

E.g.

1/ Thou shalt obey the road rules.

2/ Thou shalt ride as far left/right as practicable does not mean on the
edge, but more like 0.5 to 1m from it, probably in the left [right for
US, etc.] wheel tracks.

3/ Thou shalt prepare for other road users who might fail to give way.

4/ Thou shalt have lights for riding in foul weather, poor light and
after sunset.

5/ Thou shalt look behind and possibly indicate before moving further in
to the road, for example to move around an obstacle or to turn right [left].

6/ Thou shalt practice emergency stops in a safe place, and be ready to
employ if needs be.

7/ Thou shalt brake most effectively while traveling in a straight line.
Braking while cornering, especially in the wet is to be minimised or
not at all.

etc.

I'm considering what might be a useful sheet of info for anyone who buys
a bike (or helmet in this country).

Suggestions welcome.

--
JS
Old May 24th 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

James wrote:
[...]

Be predictable, visible and legal (in that order).
Old May 24th 13, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 23, 8:46*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Does "legal" not pretty much take care of "predictable"? And that
invisible thing... well, I've been working on it in the lab *forever*
and can't even seem to get close.
Old May 24th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

There is but one traffic law: "Thou shalt be predictable."

All else is commentary.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 24th 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 23, 7:21*pm, James wrote:
[...]

Thou shalt think for thyself, be responsible for thine own actions,
and considerate of thine fellow creatures.

Other than that, Ride Bike!

Old May 24th 13, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

James wrote:
[...]

Well, when driving, I tend to drive the speed of surrounding traffic, even
if they're speeding. That would be an example of predictable over legal.
As far as invisibility goes, you can come damn close if you want. Enter an
intersection beside a car, rather than between them. Wear dark clothes at
night and have no lights or reflectors. Come hurtling out of driveways onto
the road.
Old May 24th 13, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

James wrote:
[...]

I get it. Sorry. It was all good advice. Sorry. (So sorry... )

It's just that being predictable means doing what other people expect
of me, right? It's okay (and essential) to a point. But a *rule*?
Rule #1? Blech! What a way to live.

Being visible, sure - but you really mean consciously *extra*
conspicuous. That's fine on a case-by-case as needed basis; but do I
need to, like, say to myself, "Self, you can't wear that nice,
comfortable, smart-looking shirt that you like so much - unless you
put this dayglo vest on over it... because the onus is on you to be
'visible'." - What kind of way to live is that? (And where do you
draw the line? Is it up there around the full road crew PPE and
Christmas lights array? Is the slope even more slippery than that?
Can't I just anticipate that some drivers aren't as attentive as they
ought and be prepared to stay out of their autopilot subsystem's
crosshairs? If I wear the dayglo-striped vest can I then merrily
pedal along and don't worry about it?)

And legal... well, you just admitted to breaking your own *third*
commandment - in a high-powered, lethal-inertia vehicle.

Again, sorry - I'm workin' on it :-)
Old May 24th 13, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

James wrote:
[...]

I wish I hadn't sent (any of) that - argument withdrawls, I guess. It
was good advice.

Old May 24th 13, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 23, 7:21 pm, James wrote:
What commandments/rules would you offer to a novice who's just bought a
bike, to help them survive biking, particularly in the (sub)urban roads
landscape?

snip

etc.

I'm considering what might be a useful sheet of info for anyone who buys
a bike (or helmet in this country).

Suggestions welcome.

I would emphasize situational awareness. I think more important than
being predictable (whatever that is in any given circumstances) is
being able to predict, and knowing the limitations of same.

As for someone buying a helmet, I would advise them not to count on it
to save them, then loop back to #1 above.

Also, thou shalt take very good care of thine bike, and thine bike
will take comensurate good care of thou.

Old May 24th 13, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

James wrote:
[...]

The idea behind being predictable is to give others the best opportunity
to coexist in harmony.

While you're on the road with traffic, would you argue against be
predictable as a general rule?

Of course, if you leave the road and others don't have to accommodate
your being where ever you are, you can do pretty much whatever you like
I guess.

Being visible, sure - but you really mean consciously *extra*
conspicuous. That's fine on a case-by-case as needed basis; but do I
need to, like, say to myself, "Self, you can't wear that nice,
comfortable, smart-looking shirt that you like so much - unless you
put this dayglo vest on over it... because the onus is on you to be
'visible'." - What kind of way to live is that? (And where do you
draw the line? Is it up there around the full road crew PPE and
Christmas lights array? Is the slope even more slippery than that?
Can't I just anticipate that some drivers aren't as attentive as they
ought and be prepared to stay out of their autopilot subsystem's
crosshairs? If I wear the dayglo-striped vest can I then merrily
pedal along and don't worry about it?)

There is balance and moderation in almost all things. Visibility is one.

And legal... well, you just admitted to breaking your own *third*
commandment - in a high-powered, lethal-inertia vehicle.

Again, sorry - I'm workin' on it :-)

Keeping up with the flow of traffic is almost defensible.

--
JS