No lights, dark clothing, no reflectives, no street lights.

Old October 20th 14, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default No lights, dark clothing, no reflectives, no street lights.

On 20/10/2014 09:21, Peter Keller wrote:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:41:29 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 19/10/2014 16:31, Judith wrote:

"TMS320" wrote:
"JNugent" wrote
On 18/10/2014 22:58, TMS320 wrote:
"Cassandra"
"TMS320" wrote:

And as Phil Lee says, most drivers don't have a clue about HC
rule 170 (as adequately demonstrated by Cassandra).

Although even the most retarded of cyclists are fully aware of
Rule 176. They simply choose to ignore it

There is a big difference between drivers causing danger to others
and cyclists disobeying rules. Do not to confuse the two.

Cycling through a red traffic light isn't causing danger to others?

It might. Depends on how it is done. But not in my experience as
driver and pedestrian onlooker. There are much bigger sharks in the
sea to worry about.

A Bournemouth cyclist has been jailed for 12 months following an
incident in which he rode through a red traffic light and collided with
a nine-year-old girl, leaving her with a fractured skull and bleeding
on the brain

Nah... that can't be correct. Going through a red light causes no real
danger, you see.

It can't have been the cyclist's fault.

Obviously the Beak did not believe that.

Well... *I* know that... and *you* know that... but...

Old October 20th 14, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/10/2014 12:23, TMS320 wrote:
"Judith" wrote
"TMS320" wrote:
"JNugent" wrote

Cycling through a red traffic light isn't causing danger to others?

It might. Depends on how it is done. But not in my experience as driver
and
pedestrian onlooker. There are much bigger sharks in the sea to worry
about.

A Bournemouth cyclist has been jailed for 12 months following an incident
in
which he rode through a red traffic light and collided with a
nine-year-old
girl, leaving her with a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain

It's a shame it occurred and it is probably a fair punishment for a very
rare consequence.

So as long as the miscreant gets "a fair punishment", there's no need
for the law to act positively in order dissuade cyclists from putting
others at risk?

I don't image it provides any comfort to the 2 (at least)
people *a day* that are routinely KSI'd on the roads (and hardly ever
reported on) while trying to get about on foot.

What's the relevance of that?

You *are* aware that there is a large body of law which aims to prevent
such things, aren't you?

Or are you all for letting motorists (as well as cyclists) do exactly as
they please and only take action after a death or serious injury has
occurred?

Old October 20th 14, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/10/2014 13:32, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2014 13:21, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2014 13:01, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:58, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:54, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:23, TMS320 wrote:
"Judith" wrote
"TMS320" wrote:
"JNugent" wrote

Cycling through a red traffic light isn't causing danger to
others?

It might. Depends on how it is done. But not in my experience as
driver
and
pedestrian onlooker. There are much bigger sharks in the sea to
worry
about.

A Bournemouth cyclist has been jailed for 12 months following an
incident
in
which he rode through a red traffic light and collided with a
nine-year-old
girl, leaving her with a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain

It's a shame it occurred and it is probably a fair punishment for a
very
rare consequence. I don't image it provides any comfort to the 2 (at
least)
people *a day* that are routinely KSI'd on the roads (and hardly ever
reported on) while trying to get about on foot.

You mean the ones mown down by cyclists.

Cite?

They are not reported apparently.

Well here they a

Motor vehicles kill five times more pedestrians than cyclists, but
figures show risk of serious injury is similar relative to distance
travelled.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3986796.ece

And to put things in perspective (from the same article):

"Analysis of the past ten years of road casualty data by CTC showed that
cyclists killed 23 pedestrians in the decade to 2012 and seriously
injured 585.

In the same period, 3,330 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles and
46,081 were seriously injured.
Research by the City of Westminster Council last year found that, in
collisions between pedestrians and cyclists, 60 per cent of the crashes
were caused by the pedestrian."

You'd find something similar if analysing deaths of pedestrians in
accidents involving motor vehicles as well*, but that is never taken to
mean that it's "just one of theose things" about which nothing can or
should be done. As a result, we have a road network with many physical
features and behavioural constraints in order to reduce the number of
such incidents. Traffic lights (eg, pelicons or pedestrian phases at
junctions) are one of those.

[* I have collided with two pedestrians in a little over forty-two years
driving. In either case, the fault was entirely the fault of the
pedestrian, though I am happy to report that due to my vigilance and
quick responses, no significant injury was caused either time.]
Old October 20th 14, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 20/10/2014 20:53, JNugent wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:40, TMS320 wrote:
"Peter Keller" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:02:14 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

"TMS320" wrote:

And as Phil Lee says, most drivers don't have a clue about HC
rule 170 (as adequately demonstrated by Cassandra).

Although even the most retarded of cyclists are fully aware of
Rule 176. They simply choose to ignore it

There is a big difference between drivers causing danger to others
and cyclists disobeying rules. Do not to confuse the two.

Cycling through a red traffic light isn't causing danger to others?

It might. Depends on how it is done. But not in my experience as
driver and pedestrian onlooker. There are much bigger sharks in the
sea to worry about.

(BTW, I know you struggle with sort of thing so I shall point out
here
that the last sentence is a metaphor not a change of subject.)

So you firmly believe that there are no safety implications for anyone
else if cyclists break every road safety law in the book, especially
the ones about traffic lights?

Another example of you making something up out of nothing. You really
don't understand metaphors.

Pardon? What does a metaphor have to do with the danger of bicycling
through traffic lights?

I would have thought that you, of anyone, might realise. It is a metaphor
concerning the total set of hazards one has to cope with on the roads.
The
hazard of a cyclist going through a red light? It's deep in the
noise.

So it's not dangerous?

And not illegal?

And obviously said cyclist has no consideration for the safety of
pedestrians who may be crossing during the green man phase.

---

Old October 20th 14, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 20/10/2014 12:54, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/10/2014 12:23, TMS320 wrote:
"Judith" wrote
"TMS320" wrote:
"JNugent" wrote

[...]

You mean like the cyclist who cycled through the bus stop queue I was
waiting in tonight?

---

Old October 20th 14, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:40:00 +0100, "TMS320" wrote:

snip

I would have thought that you, of anyone, might realise. It is a metaphor
concerning the total set of hazards one has to cope with on the roads. The
hazard of a cyclist going through a red light? It's deep in the
noise.

Do you perhaps mean the noise of the cyclists shouting "Coming through - get
out of my ****ing way"?

Old October 21st 14, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

"TMS320" wrote:

[...]

I fail to see any connection between sharks in the sea and red traffic
lights.

Old October 21st 14, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:27:41 +0000, Cassandra wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:23:03 +0000 (UTC), Peter Keller
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:04:28 +0000, Cassandra wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:45:43 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 18/10/2014 22:58, TMS320 wrote:
"Cassandra"
On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:36:08 +0100, "TMS320"
wrote:

And as Phil Lee says, most drivers don't have a clue about HC
rule 170 (as adequately demonstrated by Cassandra).

Although even the most retarded of cyclists are fully aware of
Rule 176. They simply choose to ignore it

There is a big difference between drivers causing danger to others
and cyclists disobeying rules. Do not to confuse the two.

Cycling through a red traffic light isn't causing danger to others?

Don't worry, all liability is removed from the cyclist provided they
shout "I'm not stopping, get out of the ****ing way"

Please, take me to this "****ing way"

As a cyclist you'll spend most of your time in it

And loving it!
Do you know what I would do in a ****ing way? Do you know whom I might
find in a ****ing way?
Old October 21st 14, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:33:34 +0000, Cassandra wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:02:57 +0100, "TMS320" wrote:

"Cassandra" wrote
On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:58:59 +0100, "TMS320"
wrote:

And as Phil Lee says, most drivers don't have a clue about HC
rule 170 (as adequately demonstrated by Cassandra).

Although even the most retarded of cyclists are fully aware of Rule
176. They simply choose to ignore it

There is a big difference between drivers causing danger to others and
cyclists disobeying rules. Do not to confuse the two.

So in summary if you hit a cyclist jumping a red light its the drivers
fault for not looking properly.

You appear to be trying to suggest that all road crashes occur as a
result of red light infringements and there is no other cause.

No, I'm suggesting jumping red lights is dangerous both to psycolists,
innocent pedestrains and qualified road users.

Ai wud thinc tht jamping redd laits iz awlso verry daenjerus too kars nd
lories awlso.

Although poor comprehension skills would explain why psycholists
interpret the Highway Code in a manner that suggests English or common
sense isn't their first language

Yew mait bi rite.