Brake lever cable pull question

Old March 20th 15, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon S Aysdie

Default Brake lever cable pull question

Hi,

I still have side pull brakes on all my road bikes. (Suntour Superbe, Dia Compe BRS 400, and Cane Creek 200 SL, for example.) I also have been using bar-end shifters, and therefore I never needed anything but "standard" Diacompe BRS 400 (AGC 251), "old" Shimano, or Suntour brake levers. I think the lever-brake combinations I've mentioned are well-matched on the cable pull issue.

I would like to change to "brifters," specifically the Microshift Centos. But for a long time, brifters have been coupled to "dual pivot" brakes. I do not own a single pair of dual pivot brakes, and any buying dual pivot brakes as light as the Cane Creek 200 SL add about double what I would need to spend. I'd like to keep using the 200 SL brakes.

So my question is about the cable pull of modern brifters compared to levers like the AGC 251, for example. Does anyone know how well modern brifters match to "old" side pull brakes (short reach)? Or, am I in for the cost of dual pivot brakes along with the brifters?

Thank you.
Old March 20th 15, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/20/2015 2:22 PM, Simon S Aysdie wrote:
[...]

No compatibility issues.

Universal classic sidepull:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr.../taylor12b.jpg

DiaCompe 500G sidepull:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ERGOHOL3.JPG

Weinmann Vainquer centerpulls:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/HETCHINS.JPG

DiaCompe cantilevers:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/VOLPERGO.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 22nd 15, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andy - does Yellow Jersey sell a set of brake type flash cards ?

Old March 22nd 15, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon S Aysdie

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 12:45:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Andrew. You are a human gold mine.

Old March 22nd 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/03/15 05:22, Simon S Aysdie wrote:
[...]

My pub bike has Campag Veloce brifters and Suntour GPX brakes. Works
fine, including the original brake pads!

http://www.velomech.ch/images/parts/...px-bremsen.jpg

--
JS

New use for bicycle brake lever and cable. Jeff Liebermann Techniques 1 March 9th 14 04:53 PM
Brake lever ID and cable routeing vote! [email protected] Techniques 4 November 16th 06 01:43 PM
Drum brake cable pull meb Techniques 4 April 25th 05 07:21 AM
FA: Hayes cable-pull disc brake LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m Marketplace 0 February 13th 05 04:19 AM
How to install shifter cable on Ultegra brake/shift lever? Kevin General 5 August 5th 03 05:37 PM