List of stores that allow bikes inside?

Old October 16th 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default List of stores that allow bikes inside?

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 07:11:39 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

I like to hear some music or listen to news
(hearing about traffic jams is kind of practical) when traveling.

There have been times when I wished that I had a scanning radio on my
bike. For example, last Saturday, when I stopped at the emergency
room to drop off an old magazine and found the loading zone for the
walk-in door completely full of police vehicles.

But I'm glad that the car radio has a big button in the middle that I
can push to turn the radio off after I start the motor. (The other
driver gets nervous if there isn't any annoying racket.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old October 16th 16, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

I like to hear some music or listen to news
(hearing about traffic jams is kind of practical) when traveling.

There have been times when I wished that I had a scanning radio on my
bike. For example, last Saturday, when I stopped at the emergency
room to drop off an old magazine and found the loading zone for the
walk-in door completely full of police vehicles.

Sounds like a drug bust.

But I'm glad that the car radio has a big button in the middle that I
can push to turn the radio off after I start the motor. (The other
driver gets nervous if there isn't any annoying racket.)

When I reach boring stretches of trail or long steep hills I like to
listen to Bluegrass, African Reggae or, when on the home stretch towards
a brewpub, Irish Folk. Occasionally that strikes up a conversation with
other riders. "Hey, cool, that's where my old folks came from".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 17th 16, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:00:13 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Sounds like a drug bust.

The last time that happened, someone had crashed his car while
fleeing.

That's an amusing story: many of the police and sheriff vehicles had
left their engines running, so I could barely hear myself think, and I
had been out later than expected.

Just as I was parking my bike, my phone rang:

"Hello"

"Where are you?"

(shouting over the racket) "I'm at the emergency room and there are
cops all over the place!"

Then I retreated around the corner so that we could hear each other, I
explained, and he said that he'd heard (on our home scanners) an
incident that could explain what I was seeing.

Those guys were from all over the place; I *think* that the cars I saw
last Saturday were all from this county.

Old October 17th 16, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-10-16 00:31, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:34:01 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-10-14 18:23, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:43:07 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

This hose clamp has the same color as the headset aluminum and is now
hidden behind a custom MP3 player holder. Another item you cannot buy
for bicycles in a robust enough fashion. Many riders have commented
"Neat! Where did you buy that? ... "You can't. My mountain bike buddy is
a machinist and made it" ... "Oh".

A custom MP3 player? My goodness... "Oooooh! I can't go riding today,
I didn't get to download the last Great Hit".

Nowadays I even have one on the MTB. For boring trail sections or for
some long uphill slog on a road.

Effete is a word that you know, isn't it.

Do you have a radio in your car? If so, why?

I don't have a "Car". I have a pickup truck and no radio. Never saw a
need for one.

Ok, that's hardcore. I like to hear some music or listen to news
(hearing about traffic jams is kind of practical) when traveling.

I've never found it necessary to have a noise maker along when I am
driving. I can watch the traffic, make plans, deliberate on what I
should do about some problem or another. All kinds of mental exercises
to keep myself amused.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 17th 16, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/16/2016 3:54 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 16:36:44 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/15/2016 2:59 AM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 22:34:17 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

On 10-14-2016 14:04, Joerg wrote:
I saw one of those from 3500ft right after opening my parachute. Driver
slowing down, staring into the sky at us, driver behind did as well ...
*CRUNCH* ... I was surprised how loud that crash sounded up there. Also
weird because of the delay of the sound versus seeing the accident.

Thinks bicycling is extremely dangerous, but does sky-diving.

Hmmm.

Actually, statistically, based on total numbers of jumps, nation wide,
versus numbers of accidents, Sky Diving is one of the safest sports to
participate in.

I'd like to see that data. I'm also curious about how "accidents per
jump" can be compared to other activities. (Hopscotch has lots of jumps
and, I assume, few accidents.)

This table
http://vehicularcyclist.com/comparat.html
claims that skydiving works out very bad in terms of fatalities per hour.

How else would one calculate the hazards of parachute jumping if not
by jumps. After all how many years, or parachute jumps, does one
accumulate 1 million hours of jumping out of airplanes?
The usual formula for falling in what the shy divers call a stable
position from 10,000 ft. is 1 minute. So your million hours
encompasses some 60,000,000 jumps.

Try http://www.uspa.org/facts-faqs/safety
for the rate per 1,000 jumps.

OK, using their 2015 figures (21 fatalities in 4.2 million jumps) and
assuming 1 minute per jump, I get 300 fatalities per million hours.
That's higher than the 126 fatalities per million hours in the table I
linked.

The table I linked was based on 1993 data, when (judging by the trend)
fatalities were probably higher. My bet is that the Failure Analysis
Associates' table was based on estimating something longer than one
minute per jump. Perhaps total time in the air from jump to landing?

But no matter; it doesn't seem that skydiving can be considered
extremely safe relative to other more common activities.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 17th 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It is a dangerous activity. A key message from my instructor was to stop
skydiving when you feel that you don't have any kind of anxiety before
leaving the aircraft.