Gluele4ss tire patches

Old October 20th 16, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Gluele4ss tire patches

Has anyone had success with the glue less tire patches? The ones where
you just sandpaper the tube and stick the patch on without any tire
cement.

I seem to remember sitting on the side of the road some years ago,
with the rain pouring down and the damned patches wouldn't stick at
all... But that may very well have been the environment :-)

I'm not particularly concerned whether the patched inner tube will
still be holding air 1 year from now I am mainly concerned with
getting home that day. If the patch was air tight for, oh say 4 hours,
I'd be satisfied.

I have also read that some makes of these patches are better than
others but the only sort I have seen here are made by "SuperB" whoever
they might be.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 20th 16, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/20/2016 5:33 AM, John B. wrote:

Has anyone had success with the glue less tire patches? The ones where
you just sandpaper the tube and stick the patch on without any tire
cement.

I seem to remember sitting on the side of the road some years ago,
with the rain pouring down and the damned patches wouldn't stick at
all... But that may very well have been the environment :-)

I'm not particularly concerned whether the patched inner tube will
still be holding air 1 year from now I am mainly concerned with
getting home that day. If the patch was air tight for, oh say 4 hours,
I'd be satisfied.

I have also read that some makes of these patches are better than
others but the only sort I have seen here are made by "SuperB" whoever
they might be.

As with any rubber patching system, the abrasive is intended
to clean the surface, not to add surface area. Whether emery
or a steel 'cheese grater', wrap the tube across the back of
one hand, injury up, scuff lightly and blow off any
detritus. Apply clean patch firmly without contaminating
either surface with your fingers. To get a good idea of the
scope of the problem, try wiping a small area of an inner
tube with a volatile solvent such as lacquer thinner (or
actual tire buff fluid) and a clean cloth. The big smear of
black crud on your cloth is the stuff which keeps a patch
from proper adhesion.

All that aside, lower pressure fat tire riders seem more
satisfied with peel-n-stick than road riders. This may be
due to tire pressure or the larger tube section, I don't know.

A medical alcohol prep packet is a handy addition to a patch
kit.

Many riders just bring along a spare tube and do their
repairs later in a more conducive environment than by the
side of the road, in the rain.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 20th 16, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:

:As with any rubber patching system, the abrasive is intended
:to clean the surface, not to add surface area. Whether emery

That's not what the patching training I've been to taught me. (for
automotive and industrial tires, notbike) As I
recall, abraiding a tire to #2 texture doubles the surface area
avaliable for the glue to cross link with.

:A medical alcohol prep packet is a handy addition to a patch
:kit.

So is a cotton ball. Fluff it out, and drag it aroundthe inside of
the tire . It'll snag on the tiniest piece of wire sticking through.

:Many riders just bring along a spare tube and do their
:repairs later in a more conducive environment than by the
:side of the road, in the rain.

Certaainly my prefered method. I have a giant bottle of vulcanizing
fluid and a box of patches, and take my time. I used to collect a
couple tubes, but I get so few flats these days I don't bother.

--
sig 68
Old October 20th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/20/2016 6:33 AM, John B. wrote:

Has anyone had success with the glue less tire patches? The ones where
you just sandpaper the tube and stick the patch on without any tire
cement.

In about 2009 we were on a European trip with our Bikes Friday. I got a
flat in the rear and found to my dismay that I'd somehow forgotten my
usual patch kit. All I had was a glueless stick-on patch. I wasn't
very hopeful, but I used it.

It held until this year, when I finally got another separate flat in
that same tire. (The bike hasn't gotten much mileage in recent years.)
I think the glueless patch would still be holding if I hadn't had the
tube out to fix the new flat. The glueless patch peeled part way off
when the empty tube flexed at that location.

That may sound like an endorsement, but normal patches don't peel off if
you need to later patch a second hole. Based on that, I'd continue
using glueless patches only if there were no other choice.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-20 06:07, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:

:As with any rubber patching system, the abrasive is intended
:to clean the surface, not to add surface area. Whether emery

That's not what the patching training I've been to taught me. (for
automotive and industrial tires, notbike) As I
recall, abraiding a tire to #2 texture doubles the surface area
avaliable for the glue to cross link with.

:A medical alcohol prep packet is a handy addition to a patch
:kit.

So is a cotton ball. Fluff it out, and drag it aroundthe inside of
the tire . It'll snag on the tiniest piece of wire sticking through.

:Many riders just bring along a spare tube and do their
:repairs later in a more conducive environment than by the
:side of the road, in the rain.

Certaainly my prefered method. I have a giant bottle of vulcanizing
fluid ...

Interesting. How do you keep that from drying up? That is always my
problem. Just a few months after helping another rider fix a flat my
vulcanizing tube contents gum up, especially during summer.

... and a box of patches, and take my time. I used to collect a
couple tubes, but I get so few flats these days I don't bother.

Ever since switching to very thick tubes on my bikes flats are something
I no longer have to worry about. It is nice to be able to time an
arrival almost to the minute even after a 40mi ride, not needing to
factor in potential downtime for fixing a flat.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 20th 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Joerg wrote:
:On 2016-10-20 06:07, David Scheidt wrote:
:
: Certaainly my prefered method. I have a giant bottle of vulcanizing
: fluid ...

:Interesting. How do you keep that from drying up? That is always my
roblem. Just a few months after helping another rider fix a flat my
:vulcanizing tube contents gum up, especially during summer.

I screw the lid on, and store upright. It's not a tube.
It's a steel jar, with a screw on lid (with a brush
attached to it.) like this:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...4004/N0182.oap

the bottle in my office desk drawer is about four years old, and still
good.

--
sig 113
Old October 20th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-20 08:11, David Scheidt wrote:
Joerg wrote:
:On 2016-10-20 06:07, David Scheidt wrote:
:
: Certaainly my prefered method. I have a giant bottle of vulcanizing
: fluid ...

:Interesting. How do you keep that from drying up? That is always my
roblem. Just a few months after helping another rider fix a flat my
:vulcanizing tube contents gum up, especially during summer.

I screw the lid on, and store upright. It's not a tube.
It's a steel jar, with a screw on lid (with a brush
attached to it.) like this:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...4004/N0182.oap

the bottle in my office desk drawer is about four years old, and still
good.

Amazing. Maybe it's the high temps out here that dry things out. We do
not use A/C so in the summer my office can get to 95F. Which is fine for
me but the computer sometimes complains if it has to do heavy math a lot.

I wonder if it got better if I'd transfer in some CO2 from beer brewing
(comes out of the airlock).

Old October 20th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 17:33:29 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Has anyone had success with the glue less tire patches? The ones where
you just sandpaper the tube and stick the patch on without any tire
cement.

Sure, but you forgot one stop. See flame vulcanization:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennV0BVFZVw

(Notice how he leaves the gallon can of mineral spirits open while
setting fire to the patch).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 20th 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

****....SEZ HARDENS FOR USE IN 2 DAYS

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tubes

patches at bottom

Old October 20th 16, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 12:23:02 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
****....SEZ HARDENS FOR USE IN 2 DAYS

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tubes

patches at bottom

00000000000000000000

SWTF ? sez mix with egg batter cover cook at 450 ?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tubes