Trucks parking in bicycle lanes

Old December 8th 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Trucks parking in bicycle lanes

On 12/8/2016 2:00 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 12-08-2016 15:09, sms wrote:
For anyone unfamiliar with U.S. traffic laws, if a road is posted as
"No Stopping," whether or not there is a bicycle lane, you can't stop
and make deliveries, stop to take a phone call, stop to eat lunch, or
stop to take a nap. No stopping means no stopping.

Where have you been? Don't you know that every vehicle has a little
button that makes any spot a legal parking space? It's the one with the
little triangle on it.

"But my flashers were on officer."

The way it was explained to me is that since a vehicle can't enter a
bicycle lane except to turn into a driveway or another street, even
stopping in a no parking bicycle lane would normally be illegal.

But if a line of cars making a turn into a driveway enters the bicycle
lane and stop there for a long period of time, with their engines
running and the driver in the car, the police don't consider that
parking, it's just stopping. So the cities began changing "No Parking"
to "No Stopping."

Bicycle lanes are not a place for delivery trucks to park to make
deliveries, no matter what Frank thinks.

---

Old December 8th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12-08-2016 15:09, sms wrote:
[...]

But Frank never said such a thing.

However, that won't prevent Scharf from making that assertion over and
over, for eternity.

What I said was merely this: "OTOH, it doesn't look very difficult to
merge left and pass..."

Was that hard to understand?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 8th 16, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/8/2016 4:46 PM, sms wrote:
On 12/8/2016 1:36 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 1:06:19 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:

snip

Or were you being sarcastic and we are all too dense to realize it?

Regulations requiring deliveries to be made off-street at the back of
a business have basically crushed American business. You and your
liberal political class friends can just shove those regulations up
your Lycra-clad a****!

-- Bubba.

Darn liberals!

But in this case, it's the bicycle lane that is in the back of the
business. So it would be more accurate to say:

Regulations requiring delivery trucks to make deliveries off-street,
without being allowed to park in no-stopping zones, have basically
crushed American business."

I am amazed that people are actually defending the right of trucks to
stop in no-stopping zones, that are also bicycle lanes, and put cyclists
in danger, in order to avoid having to drive around to the delivery
area. Actually nothing amazes me anymore when it comes to Frank.

And with similar accuracy, I'll ask: Scharf, have you stopped beating
your wife?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 8th 16, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

logical absurdity, fallacious ect, red herrings strawmen and obfuscation may support you stewardship of the public good but itsnot gonna hold water here.

Old December 8th 16, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

see what happens ? SMS is a number Nazi....1+1=2

2+2=4 1,1,0,1,1 = no puede entrar

the hell with the English tort system !

**** its Pope Urban allover again.
Old December 9th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 9:40:32 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 9:11:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 5:17:08 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
http://oi68.tinypic.com/23kw8d3.jpg

I talked to the truck driver who was upset that I took a picture of his
truck and calmly explained to him that parking illegally in a bicycle
lane that is signed "No Stopping" was endangering cyclists like the one
in the picture. He was not happy about this explanation and began
verbally abusing me. I kept my cool. It's a terribly designed shopping
center and it's hard to do deliveries so trucks do this all the time.

I sent the photo to the sheriff's captain and our Public Works director
(a cyclist). I guess because I take office tomorrow I have a little more
influence now and got responses from both very quickly. They are going
to talk to the business owners and increase enforcement, and next year
they are going to begin working on a physical barrier which is really
the only practical solution since you can't expect the police to
constantly be monitoring the situation.

Traffic calming is one of my big pet peeves (of which I have a great many).

---

Bicyclists who believe that other people should not make a living are one of the problems of why they are held in such low esteem. What you meant is that YOU might have been slowed down and wait for traffic to pass the truck before proceeding. My how respectful of you towards other people's jobs..

So if you're "making a living," you don't have to obey parking regulations and traffic laws? So those illegals in their trucks can buzz you on the canyon road if they're making a living? Next time I'm pulled over by a cop for a traffic infraction, I'll say, "but I'm making a living!" It's kind of like diplomatic immunity.

-- Jay Beattie.

If you're making a living you should be given the room to do so by cyclists and pedestrians. Stores cannot exist without deliveries and if you don't have merchandise you do not have stores.
Old December 9th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/7/2016 8:36 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

It doesn't surprise me that Scharf is a "protected cycle track"
advocate. Sheesh.

And it doesn't surprise me that Frank advocates for illegal parking in
bicycle lanes.

For anyone unfamiliar with U.S. traffic laws, if a road is posted as
"No Stopping," whether or not there is a bicycle lane, you can't stop
and make deliveries, stop to take a phone call, stop to eat lunch, or
stop to take a nap. No stopping means no stopping.

No Parking has a different meaning. You can actually stop in a no
parking zone. Whether or not you can stop in a no parking zone that is a
bicycle lane is not perfectly clear.

---

Absolutely the fastest way to destroy city centers is to hamper delivery of merchandise to stores. Do that and the malls open up outside of the city limits so that they can get enough land to deliver merchandise in the back. Apparently that doesn't bother you. But wait until you see it happen and a city fall apart and you'll know better. I've watched it happen to two local cities.
Old December 9th 16, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/7/2016 8:36 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

It doesn't surprise me that Scharf is a "protected cycle track"
advocate. Sheesh.

And it doesn't surprise me that Frank advocates for illegal parking in
bicycle lanes.

For anyone unfamiliar with U.S. traffic laws, if a road is posted as
"No Stopping," whether or not there is a bicycle lane, you can't stop
and make deliveries, stop to take a phone call, stop to eat lunch, or
stop to take a nap. No stopping means no stopping.

No Parking has a different meaning. You can actually stop in a no
parking zone. Whether or not you can stop in a no parking zone that is a
bicycle lane is not perfectly clear.

---

Two local cities fell completely apart by enforcing trucks stopping in front to make deliveries. One, Hayward, had the entire city center devastated with even the banks gone. And guess what started bringing the city center back? Allowing deliveries even on everything but the main street which is a transfer for a freeway and bumper to bumper almost 24 hours a day.
Old December 9th 16, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

"sms" wrote in message
news
http://oi68.tinypic.com/23kw8d3.jpg

I talked to the truck driver who was upset that I took a picture of his
truck and calmly explained to him that parking illegally in a bicycle lane
that is signed "No Stopping" was endangering cyclists like the one in the
picture. He was not happy about this explanation and began verbally
abusing me. I kept my cool. It's a terribly designed shopping center and
it's hard to do deliveries so trucks do this all the time.

I sent the photo to the sheriff's captain and our Public Works director (a
cyclist). I guess because I take office tomorrow I have a little more
influence now and got responses from both very quickly. They are going to
talk to the business owners and increase enforcement,

And if that doesn't work.................................

One trick is to inflate one of his tyres with a CO2 fire extinguisher. A
sticker of a bicycle picture on the bodywork near the doctored tyre gives
the ****wit a clue to why.

When I had a motorcycle with tubeless tyres, I couldn't afford a compressor,
or pay the tyre place to blow the tyre onto the rim. So I rigged a Schrader
adaptor onto the hose of a CO2 extinguisher. A gotcha that got me first time
around - the extinguisher has a syphon tube, so held the right way up - it
filled the tyre with liquid CO2..........which continued expanding, RAPIDLY.
The alloy wheel was creaking alarmingly, and the adaptor had frozen onto the
valve stem. Luckily I'd done it with no valve core fitted and managed to
free the adaptor before the tyre exploded. Turning the extinguisher upside
down inflates the tyre to a much lower pressure - but sufficient for tyre
bounce to overwhelm his suspension damping. Unless he's *TOTALLY*
brain-dead............it should be too undriveable to get as far as a
blow-out down the road.

You might be able to find a small CO2 extinguisher that can hide in a
rucksack, but you can also get motorcycle emergency tyre repair kits -
rubber wedges or "mushroom" to repair the hole, and a CO2 cartridge about
the same as for a soda syphon. They're not intended for use on an already
inflated tyre - so should provide a bit of entertainment.

Old December 9th 16, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/9/2016 11:20 AM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
news
http://oi68.tinypic.com/23kw8d3.jpg

I talked to the truck driver who was upset that I took a picture of
his truck and calmly explained to him that parking illegally in a
bicycle lane that is signed "No Stopping" was endangering cyclists
like the one in the picture. He was not happy about this explanation
and began verbally abusing me. I kept my cool. It's a terribly
designed shopping center and it's hard to do deliveries so trucks do
this all the time.

I sent the photo to the sheriff's captain and our Public Works
director (a cyclist). I guess because I take office tomorrow I have a
little more influence now and got responses from both very quickly.
They are going to talk to the business owners and increase enforcement,

And if that doesn't work.................................

snip

I need to behave.

---