Brake pads for road bike (and maybe MTB)

Old December 16th 16, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Brake pads for road bike (and maybe MTB)

On 12/15/2016 11:00 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 12/15/2016 6:30 PM, Joerg wrote:
: On 2016-12-15 07:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
:
:
: I think the idea of carrying a spare set of pads makes great sense.
:
:
: Nah. Unless you are planning on a trek through the Himalaya mountain
: range. Even there you could probably get spares for the customary types.

:Well, the tourist we hosted had trouble finding replacement pads in
:Pennsylvania. It's hilly and some parts are surprisingly sparsely
opulated. But it's not the Himalayas.

:If you're running discs, why _not_ carry spare pads? Weight?

A pair of disk brake pads are about the size of a match book, and
might weigh 50 grams. If you've sensible configured your touring bike
so the front and rear tae the same pads, you only need one set.

Exactly.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 16th 16, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-12-15 07:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think the idea of carrying a spare set of pads makes great sense.

Nah. Unless you are planning on a trek through the Himalaya mountain
range. Even there you could probably get spares for the customary types.

Well, the tourist we hosted had trouble finding replacement pads in
Pennsylvania. It's hilly and some parts are surprisingly sparsely
populated. But it's not the Himalayas.

If you're running discs, why _not_ carry spare pads? Weight?

Gee. I even carry spare tubes and in the old days I carried complete
tires. :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 16th 16, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-12-15 09:45, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 2:35:14 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
Attention, bicycle related technical topic :-)

Due to the hills here we use lots of brake pads. My road bike has
Shimano 600 brakes. The original pads weren't that great and I am using
Koolstop Cross Dura. They work great but sure are expensive. It's also
kind of tough to find out which curent replacement rubbers fit.

I ride rain or shine. Which other lower cost brands are good all-weather
pads for caliper rim brakes?

In case anyone has info where to obtain ceramic (motorcycle grade) brake
pads in BB5 size that would be nice. My MTB brakes are hydraulic. In
2014 I bought a box full from Vktech at $3/pair. Came from China, best
pads I ever had and lasted almost 1000mi/pair. Now that I've used all of
them they are non-stock everywhere :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

These are "semi-metalic" whatever that means: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Bike...bbu1p4v_NwI8Ow

The ones Jay pointed out are what I really like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-Bike...-/380980112869

I saw them during a web search, have to get an EBay account. Amazon used
to carry all this stuff as well but that's no longer the case.

Old December 16th 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-12-15 07:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think the idea of carrying a spare set of pads makes great sense.

Nah. Unless you are planning on a trek through the Himalaya mountain
range. Even there you could probably get spares for the customary types.

Well, the tourist we hosted had trouble finding replacement pads in
Pennsylvania. It's hilly and some parts are surprisingly sparsely
populated. But it's not the Himalayas.

If you're running discs, why _not_ carry spare pads? Weight?

Brake pads are very predictable. As I said I'd be carrying spares if a
trek through 1000mi Plus of largely uninhabited territory was at hand.
Otherwise my method is simple. Every time before I hop on the MTB I go
through a quick checklist like pilots do. Because my life could depend
on it. One item is a peek into the caliper slots for which I have a nice
flashlight near the bikes. If the pads are worn too far I swap them out.
Online they cost $5 or less so it's not a high Dollar item.

Gee. I even carry spare tubes and in the old days I carried complete
tires. :-)

I do carry a spare tube because those can blow a hole all of a sudden,
when a flimsy sidewall fails again.

Old December 16th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2016-12-15 07:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I think the idea of carrying a spare set of pads makes great
sense.

Nah. Unless you are planning on a trek through the Himalaya
mountain range. Even there you could probably get spares for the
customary types.

Well, the tourist we hosted had trouble finding replacement pads in
Pennsylvania. It's hilly and some parts are surprisingly sparsely
populated. But it's not the Himalayas.

If you're running discs, why _not_ carry spare pads? Weight?

-- - Frank Krygowski

Hey there Frank, remember that you're talking to the guy who won't
cary the extra few ounces of a multi-tool with chain breaker in it
but will spend time looking for a nail, a rock to hit it with and
another rock toallow the pin of a chain to go into whenever he wants
to fix a chain.

Cheers

Carve some out of camel dung perhaps?

--
JS
Old December 16th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-12-15 07:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

No, no, must be buffalo dung.

No kidding: A guy who, as a cost reduction measure, used Nigerian beer
as brake fluid in his car was asked why not beer from his home country
Kenya. "Nigerian beer brakes better".

Old December 16th 16, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 1:43:06 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

No kidding: A guy who, as a cost reduction measure, used Nigerian beer
as brake fluid in his car was asked why not beer from his home country
Kenya. "Nigerian beer brakes better".

Are you sure that wasn't a comment regarding gas?

brake pads too low mark Techniques 9 September 26th 10 09:50 AM
question about Kool Stop Dual Compound Mountain Pads on my Road Bike Jose[_2_] Techniques 6 June 3rd 09 05:44 AM
Kool Stop road brake pads refills in Bris? [email protected] Australia 2 July 25th 06 04:46 AM
brake pads for Nashbar road shoes? [email protected] Techniques 4 March 4th 05 08:33 PM
Best V-brake pads? thumbie Techniques 4 December 17th 04 04:01 PM