Feeding the Trolls?

Old December 23rd 16, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Feeding the Trolls?

With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers
Old December 23rd 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:57:53 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

Do AX cranks take an ISO axle or a short JIS?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 24th 16, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 14:57:51 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

I think that there are probably two major reasons.

(1) a deluded attempt to change the Troll's opinion or way of
thinking, or

(2) a method of demonstrating the author's brilliant thinking in his
rebuttal to the Troll's assertion.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 24th 16, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/23/2016 5:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:57:53 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

Do AX cranks take an ISO axle or a short JIS?

-- Jay Beattie.

Classic taper section. DuraAce AX was if I recall the first
quality crank with a short symmetric spindle, 107mm.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 24th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 4:49:09 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/23/2016 5:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:57:53 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

Do AX cranks take an ISO axle or a short JIS?

-- Jay Beattie.

Classic taper section. DuraAce AX was if I recall the first
quality crank with a short symmetric spindle, 107mm.

I never really liked the DuraAce AX, although I think of that crank every time I see one of these: http://lancasteronline.com/features/...456c9bfe8.html

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 24th 16, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 8:10:31 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
I never really liked the DuraAce AX, although I think of that crank every time I see one of these: http://lancasteronline.com/features/...456c9bfe8.html

-- Jay Beattie.

I spent years looking for a Dura Ace AX equipped bike or a Dura Ace AX groupset and got one no too long ago. I then had a a frame builder modify a Columbus SL frameset to take the Dira Ace AX groupset that I'd bought used. I really like the looks and function of it. If the AX spider and crank arm flowed together as they often do on more modern stuff that Dura Ace AX stuff would still look quite modern especially the draillers without the external cable housing that so many deraillers still need.

Cheers
Old December 24th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/23/2016 7:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 4:49:09 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/23/2016 5:02 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 2:57:53 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

Do AX cranks take an ISO axle or a short JIS?

-- Jay Beattie.

Classic taper section. DuraAce AX was if I recall the first
quality crank with a short symmetric spindle, 107mm.

I never really liked the DuraAce AX, although I think of that crank every time I see one of these: http://lancasteronline.com/features/...456c9bfe8.html

-- Jay Beattie.

Ouch. Yep, looks like DumboDrive to me too.

Old December 24th 16, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/23/2016 7:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 8:10:31 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
I never really liked the DuraAce AX, although I think of that crank every time I see one of these: http://lancasteronline.com/features/...456c9bfe8.html

I spent years looking for a Dura Ace AX equipped bike or a Dura Ace AX groupset and got one no too long ago. I then had a a frame builder modify a Columbus SL frameset to take the Dira Ace AX groupset that I'd bought used. I really like the looks and function of it. If the AX spider and crank arm flowed together as they often do on more modern stuff that Dura Ace AX stuff would still look quite modern especially the draillers without the external cable housing that so many deraillers still need.

Technically, you could probably fabricate an AX style wire
route guide for a modern changer and it would shift better
(less casing loss). Practically, modern gear casing is
pretty good so the game may well not be worth the candle.

Old December 24th 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

I think that there are probably two major reasons.

(1) a deluded attempt to change the Troll's opinion or way of
thinking, or

(2) a method of demonstrating the author's brilliant thinking in his
rebuttal to the Troll's assertion.

In some cases, the responses are not intended for the trolls reading, so
much as for others. We've seen that fake news gets readily accepted by
many people. If unchallenged, its acceptance would be even higher.

Admittedly, some of our trolls are so off the wall (not to mention foul
and abusive) that few would believe them, so response really isn't
necessary.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 24th 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 12/23/2016 4:57 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
With so many threads here being started or hijacked by Trolls I've often wondered why so many others persist in feeding the troll/ Why do you feed a Troll?

Cheers

Sometimes the trolls are entertaining... Not usually, but once in a while.

Mainly I stay because there's no moderation.
It's much preferable to the opposite--either done poorly, or even well.