4 those who thing road bikes are too delicate 4 rough riding

Old January 31st 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default 4 those who thing road bikes are too delicate 4 rough riding

Joerg has his trails but I bet guys like these can ride their road bikes there without any problems with the bike or busting stuff.

Kind of shows that not asll road bikes are those ultra-delicate machines that many think of them as being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Cheers
Old January 31st 17, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 12:29:19 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Joerg has his trails but I bet guys like these can ride their road bikes there without any problems with the bike or busting stuff.

Kind of shows that not asll road bikes are those ultra-delicate machines that many think of them as being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Cheers

This is not a new idea, Ridealot. Jobst Brandt used to go offroad on his road bike, and we might note he was there at the invention of the mountain bike, as was made clear in his obituaries -- see for instance the photo, description and links at http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/n...-jobst-brandt/ -- so Jobst could have switched to a mountain bike for rough riding, but didn't.

From an engineering viewpoint, I would say that a road bike, given that it is not built stupid-light, might actually have an advantage than a mountain bike because it is built lighter. People used to be amazed when they came into my racing workshop and saw mechanics pick up a whole Jaguar E-type front engine and suspension subframe in one hand, or an entire Lotus "space frame" (actually punched and folded flat sheet) chassis between two men (and one man could lift it, except it was awkwardly shaped). But the enemy of those was poor welding and poor steel and rust, not in the first instance stress, again because they were so light that they didn't self-destruct from their own weight.

And that reminds me, my own experience in chasses goes back to before composites, and I'd any day rather have steel than aluminum or even titanium. And not from Luddism. Good old Timoshenko probably spins in his grave, but I believe steel has an extra little margin of security over its textbook equivalent weight and distribution in any other rmaterial. I just feel more comfortable at speed on steel.

Andre Jute
....and in my book "Designing and Constructing Special Cars" I also made a convincing case for wood as a construction material even for cars: my 68ft yacht City of Germiston was moulded out of wood by my pals, all amateurs, survived two transits of Cape Horn and many icy storms in the Southern Ocean and monsoons in the Indian, and never leaked a drop or even creaked, Wood is another fabulous, but overlooked, construction material for bikes.
Old January 31st 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:35:22 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 12:29:19 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Joerg has his trails but I bet guys like these can ride their road bikes there without any problems with the bike or busting stuff.

Kind of shows that not asll road bikes are those ultra-delicate machines that many think of them as being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Cheers

This is not a new idea, Ridealot.Snipped

At least get the name right Troll, it's RIDESALOT not Ridealot.
Old January 31st 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 1:47:10 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:35:22 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 12:29:19 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Joerg has his trails but I bet guys like these can ride their road bikes there without any problems with the bike or busting stuff.

Kind of shows that not asll road bikes are those ultra-delicate machines that many think of them as being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Cheers

This is not a new idea, Ridealot.Snipped

At least get the name right Troll, it's RIDESALOT not Ridealot.

Such disproportionate anger at a constructive, knowledgeable contribution from an expert. What are you afraid of, Ridesalot?

Andre Jute
Boo
Old January 31st 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 6:34:03 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 1:47:10 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:35:22 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 12:29:19 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Joerg has his trails but I bet guys like these can ride their road bikes there without any problems with the bike or busting stuff.

Kind of shows that not asll road bikes are those ultra-delicate machines that many think of them as being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Cheers

This is not a new idea, Ridealot.Snipped

At least get the name right Troll, it's RIDESALOT not Ridealot.

Such disproportionate anger at a constructive, knowledgeable contribution from an expert. What are you afraid of, Ridesalot?

I have found out the same thing. I went from a full suspension 29er back to my CX bike. I cannot make some of the climbs that the 29er did but except for the really extreme climbs I'd much rather have the CX.

I too started from LONG before MTBs and went through the gamut to arrive back at where I started.