Fresh satellite photos for bike path conditions?

Old February 11th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Fresh satellite photos for bike path conditions?

On 2017-02-10 16:27, sms wrote:
On 2/10/2017 1:08 PM, Joerg wrote:
While there are plenty of services for motorists to find out about road
closures there is next to nothing for cyclists. Right now I need to know
whether a particular section of the American River Bike Path (north of
Lake Natoma) is still closed or not. There was a major rock slide on
Jan-22. Park service sites are generally unhelpful because there are
hardly any current status notifications and inquiries remain unanswered.

Is there a really up to day and free site with sateliite images detailed
enough to find out if the big boulders are still blocking the path? Must
have date stamp, else it's of no use.

Or maybe there is the outside chance someone reading this rode
Sacramento-Folsom or vice versa this week and could tell.

I had the same issue with a bicycle trail that runs along a creek in
Santa Clara. There is no way to find out the status of it. They close it
when the creek is too high because the underpasses will be flooded.

Here as well but I often use my own judgement and plow through,
especially on the MTB. Even if the BB submarines.

They have gates on the multi-use trails here, and they close them if
they are worried about flooding. And they also close some when there's
an event at Levi's stadium.

f*ckin a$$holes

Couldn't agree more.

When a for-profit sports franchise owns a city, they can do this sort of
thing.

And now the City of Santa Clara is seeking outside public funding to fix
the illegal trail closures, when the stadium owners that should be
paying for this. They didn't get the money.

"The BPAC unanimously called the proposed STAC undercrossing project "an
innappropriate use of OBAG2 funds", in large part because Santa Clara is
only seeking funds for this because they themselves allow the trail to
be illegally closed during Levis Stadium events.

"It looks like we're trying to solve a simple operational issue with
costly infrastructure," said one BPAC member."

http://santaclaraca.gov/government/departments/public-works/bicyclist-and-pedestrian-detour-on-event-days

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2016/09/26/santa-clara-proposes-new-san-tomas-aquino-creek-trail-detours/
Old February 11th 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-02-11 03:05, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
J, gotta rain report ?

It stopped and we'll have sunshine for several days now. Good riding
weather. But I ride rain or shine anyhow so doesn't matter to me.

Notwithstanding my current state of decrepitude, I went for a ride into the country today and found that the worst parts of my route were the bike lanes through a rural area and a separate MUP close to home on my return trip. The problem was blow-down and gravel drifts. We "sand" our streets with gravel that gets pushed off into the bike lanes. It accumulates enough to make it dangerous or at least unpleasant.

The MUP was mandatory because the adjacent road is shut down due to construction. The last time I rode it, there was a big tree down across the trail, so I had to do some hiking. That had been removed, and the major obstacle today was dogs and people. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikepo...7658677112598/ (Tryon Creek Trail).

People who let their dogs wander off leash on a busy MUP should be shot, particularly when it is now the only route for bikes (a fact that is clear from all the detour and watch-for-bikes signs).

The city is looking at many $M for repairs to the roadway after the multiple freeze-thaw snow-pocalypses we've had this year. Whatever flavor of asphalt we use, it clearly cannot stand up to a rough winter, even a short one. The roads are riddled with pot-holes now. I wanged into one so hard the other night (it was dark, raining and the pot hole was filled with water) that it rotated my bars downward -- and they were torqued per spec. I haven't bother looking at my front rim yet. It's a CR18 that I just threw on -- a pretty beefy rim, so it's probably O.K.

BTW, riding my flying pig commuter bike every day sure makes my not so light Roubaix-with-fenders feel like an F-1, although I'm still not dialed in on that bike and don't know if I'll ever really like the front-end geometry.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 11th 17, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 2:10:26 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 13:08:28 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

While there are plenty of services for motorists to find out about road
closures there is next to nothing for cyclists. Right now I need to know
whether a particular section of the American River Bike Path (north of
Lake Natoma) is still closed or not. There was a major rock slide on
Jan-22. Park service sites are generally unhelpful because there are
hardly any current status notifications and inquiries remain unanswered.

Is there a really up to day and free site with sateliite images detailed
enough to find out if the big boulders are still blocking the path? Must
have date stamp, else it's of no use.

I looked but didn't find anything. Plenty of weather satellite
imagery, but the resolution is insufficient to see riders or trail
obstructions and washouts. Even the new GOES-16 satellite won't do
it. Most counties have road closure web sites, but those only include
roads, not trails.

This is for later as it doesn't do much for you today. There are
waypoint following drones that follow a series of lat-long positions
and photograph what they see along the route.
https://www.dronezon.com/learn-about-drones-quadcopters/drone-waypoint-gps-navigation-technology-explained/
Program it for the trail route and you'll have an accurate answer
quite soon. The catch is that most controllers I've investigated only
allow 128 waypoints, which will be a problem for long and twisty
trails. You might consider selling the info to the park service or
just posting the trail condition videos. Also, you'll need a
commercial FAA drone license to do this.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

fly a drone ?
Old February 11th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On 2017-02-11 03:05, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
J, gotta rain report ?

[...]

potholes ! incroyable. a blessing of the top 2 and Cal sorta....no potholes.....Healy Heaven.

what's with the Roubaix geometry ?
Old February 11th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

find the author callum

https://www.google.com/#q=sacramento+bee+bicycling
Old February 12th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 15:19:41 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

fly a drone ?

Well yes. You don't ride or drive a drone.

The "follow me" feature of many drones is popular among mountain bike
riders who want a record of their latest cycling adventure (or latest
crash):
http://mydronelab.com/best-pick/best-drones-that-follow-you.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=mountain+bike+drone+follow+me&tbm=vid

My scheme would require an autonomous drone (which requires an FAA
commercial license) as the drone will easly go out of range of the
controlling transmitter.

Old February 12th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

wrote:

fly a drone ?

Well yes. You don't ride or drive a drone.

The "follow me" feature of many drones is popular among mountain bike
riders who want a record of their latest cycling adventure (or latest
crash):
http://mydronelab.com/best-pick/best-drones-that-follow-you.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=mountain+bike+drone+follow+me&tbm=vid

My scheme would require an autonomous drone (which requires an FAA
commercial license) as the drone will easly go out of range of the
controlling transmitter.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

! I was working on this as a hazard or an accouterment with GPS n TV on bars.

the swell moves past .....

on the bike path

http://www.regionalparks.saccounty.n...s/default.aspx

there's a report area tho unclear which dept has control.
Old February 12th 17, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 07:47:01 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-02-10 16:27, sms wrote:
[...]

But if the gates are NOT closed and someone gets hurt you can bet that the hurt someone or their relatives will sue because the gates weren't closed. If that person had ridden around the closed gates and got hurt they'ed still sue and with many recent wins they'd probably win too.

Re. the case of closing gates; it looks like a dmaned if you do it and dmaned if you don't do it. Next thing you know municipalities will be saying it's not worth the hassels and close the trails entirely.

Cheers

It is mind boggling.

Granted it is a long time since I lived there but I have memories of a
self-sufficient people. Now apparently (from the posts here) they need
a nanny to tell them when the road is closed.

Or is that just in California ?

No, city folk, usually. Country folk is still (largely) like you
remember. The problem is a tort law "system" run amok. So people try to
make a buck when they screwed up and some ambulance chaser convinces
them that they can blame it on someone else with deep pockets. Because
of the ill-fated bounty method they are unfortunately allowed to offer
the financial risk to the suing party is zero. It shouldn't be.

I really do find it a bit humorous (in a sick sort of way). I recently
read a post on another site about a guy helping his neighbor by
welding something, I forgot what. Anyway, what appeared to be the
first response to his post was a post that cautioned him about helping
his neighbor as "if the weld should break he could sue you".

Whatever happened? I remember helping my neighbors when I lived in the
U.S.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 12th 17, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 12:31:19 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
Snipped
I really do find it a bit humorous (in a sick sort of way). I recently
read a post on another site about a guy helping his neighbor by
welding something, I forgot what. Anyway, what appeared to be the
first response to his post was a post that cautioned him about helping
his neighbor as "if the weld should break he could sue you".

Whatever happened? I remember helping my neighbors when I lived in the
U.S.

--
Cheers,

John B.

What happened was rampant frivolous itigation that awarded larges sums of money to the plaintiffs.

Cheers
Old February 12th 17, 09:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 21:48:31 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 12:31:19 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
Snipped
I really do find it a bit humorous (in a sick sort of way). I recently
read a post on another site about a guy helping his neighbor by
welding something, I forgot what. Anyway, what appeared to be the
first response to his post was a post that cautioned him about helping
his neighbor as "if the weld should break he could sue you".

Whatever happened? I remember helping my neighbors when I lived in the
U.S.

--
Cheers,

John B.

What happened was rampant frivolous itigation that awarded larges sums of money to the plaintiffs.

Cheers

It must be a horrible fate to live in a place where you are afraid to
help your neighbor. It wasn't like that when I lived there :-(
--
Cheers,

John B.