WHY RECUMBENTS ARE UNSAFE IN TRAFFIC

Old February 20th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

Default WHY RECUMBENTS ARE UNSAFE IN TRAFFIC

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 6:34:20 PM UTC-6, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:18:12 PM UTC-8, Mike A Schwab wrote:
I have ridden 6 upright bicycles, and 4 different recumbent bicycles. Long wheelbase (26/26 in), Compact Long Wheel base (16/20 in), Short wheel base (20/26 inch under knee). Two with xtracycle.

Balancing on an upright is done by shifting your weight, track stands and jumping is possible. Balancing on a recumbent is done by steering under the center of gravity, track stands and jumping is not possible. The different balancing does take a little bit getting used to.

My recommendation a recumbent would a short wheel base (under knee). The amount of turning required to steer is a very tiny amount and a front wheel drive (cruz bike) is very adequate.

Off road? Fat tire recumbents should be ok for smooth, wide, even, moderate climbs. Maybe some rough spots. Narrow path won't allow for steering. Jumping and steep climbs are out.

Too short? Can't be seen on far side of car is true. Flags are available if you think you need it.

Dorky? Not really. Lots of people hate the tiny racing seats so the wide seats look comfortable.

How do drivers treat recumbent riders? Give them a lot more space, due to the unusual configuration and uncertainty of how the rider will behave.

Emergency braking? No need to move backward over seat in emergency braking since going over handle bars is impossible. Emergency turns? Usually not hard to do. Especially the shorter the wheelbase the quicker the turn..

For learning how to balance, I like to sit beside a chain link fence, grab with one hand, get feet in position, then try to center weight over bicycle (I. E. minimum sideways force on chain link fence). Then release and pedal away.

Sales of recumbents are too low for most shops to keep in stock.

It makes sense. Now, they are slow to take off, don't they?

I'll be waiting until they make one with internal gears so I can start on first, not unlike a car. Stop and go and recumbents are a bad combination. On an upright you throw your weight on it.

Due to the seat back, you can press on the pedals like for a leg press. On an upright you are limited to your weight. The heavier the bike, the slower the acceleration, just like a 7 kg race bike or a 25 kg beach cruiser.

I did a 3 speed chain ring, 7 speed freehub and 3 speed internal gear on an EZ rider. The when I maxed out the 3 X 7 cogs, I would shift the internal gear to high (overdriver) from medium (pass through) and would slow down due to higher friction, enough to go back to medium. For stops I would down shift the derailers but not to the bottom on level road (too rapid of pedaling on start up) and only used the low (underdrive) on hills.

I put a NuVinci internal hub on a Rans Formulae 26 and worked quite well. No losses due to planetary gears, worked quite well. Had front derailer locked on middle chain ring. Get some SRAM internal hubs if you want. They are ceasing production by summer.