Cambridge

Old July 31st 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
rowman

Default Cambridge

After spending an enjoyable weekend at the Cambridge folk festival. I
was shocked at the wrecks that the average Cambridge cyclist calls for
the want of a better name a bike. What is it about Cambridge that leads
the average cyclist to never use oil, change brake pads, make any
attempt to look around at road junctions and never wear a cycling helmet?

Rich
Old July 31st 06, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"rowman" wrote in message
After spending an enjoyable weekend at the Cambridge folk festival. I was
shocked at the wrecks that the average Cambridge cyclist calls for the
want of a better name a bike. What is it about Cambridge that leads the
average cyclist to never use oil, change brake pads, make any attempt to
look around at road junctions and never wear a cycling helmet?

The fact they've discovered they don't need to?

BTW are you new round here?

clive

Old July 31st 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
woollypigs

Hi, yeah i noticed that too when i was there a few weeks ago, i did
think that you could make a bomb there with a can of oil, spanner and
some break pads, but as they seem to educated people up there i guessed
that someone much have had that bright idea before but have failed
since the "wrecks" are still doing their runs around town.

the sound of a rusty chain still sends shivers down my spine ...

woollypigs

Old July 31st 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
rowman

Clive,

I though that the lack of maintenance was maybe down to a high crime
rate. i.e. don't bother if its going to get stolen/damaged. Another clue
was the almost total absence of quick release leavers?

I am a newish poster, returning to cycling after 20 years of rowing.

Rich

Old July 31st 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:22:00 +0100, rowman wrote:
After spending an enjoyable weekend at the Cambridge folk festival. I
was shocked at the wrecks that the average Cambridge cyclist calls for
the want of a better name a bike. What is it about Cambridge that leads
the average cyclist to never use oil, change brake pads, make any
attempt to look around at road junctions and never wear a cycling helmet?

They are clever enough to examine the functional requirements and
adopt them without falling for the same preconceptions that you have?

In my first year I didn't maintain my bike. In my subsequent years I
did without oilable bits or brakes entirely. At no time did I wear a
helmet.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 31st 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Smith

rowman wrote:
After spending an enjoyable weekend at the Cambridge folk festival. I
was shocked at the wrecks that the average Cambridge cyclist calls for
the want of a better name a bike. What is it about Cambridge that leads
the average cyclist to never use oil, change brake pads, make any
attempt to look around at road junctions and never wear a cycling helmet?

Rich

Endemic theft. Why bother maintaining something when you won't own it
for more than six months?

--
Chris
Old July 31st 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"rowman" wrote in message

I though that the lack of maintenance was maybe down to a high crime rate.
i.e. don't bother if its going to get stolen/damaged. Another clue was the
almost total absence of quick release leavers?

Nah, it'll be because the riding there isn't actually that strenuous, so you
can get away without bothering with maintenance. Cheap bikes tend not to
have QRs, and they're what get ridden a lot of the time.

FWIW I'm also perpetually disppointed at the standard of bikes in
Cambridge - but I do appreciate that it's not actually a real problem.

BTW are you new round here?

I am a newish poster, returning to cycling after 20 years of rowing.

1) Post replies in the body of your message, like wot I've done, not at the
top like you did.
2) Find out a little more about the effigacy of helmets before stating that
you're shocked that people don't wear bike helmets. www.cyclehelmets.org may
help you here.

cheers,
clive

Old July 31st 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike the Unshavable

"Clive George" writed in
:

2) Find out a little more about the effigacy of helmets before stating
that you're shocked that people don't wear bike helmets.
www.cyclehelmets.org may help you here.

Safer still, just don't mention the h word!

Old July 31st 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting rowman :
the want of a better name a bike. What is it about Cambridge that leads
the average cyclist to never use oil, change brake pads, make any
attempt to look around at road junctions

Anywhere in Cambridge is ten minutes away by bike and during most of those
ten minutes your speed will be limited by factors other than the
efficiency of your machine.

and never wear a cycling helmet?

Because they have the wit to know the things aren't any good.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Epithumia, July - a weekend.
Old July 31st 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
rowman

Mike the Unshavable wrote:
"Clive George" writed in
:

2) Find out a little more about the effigacy of helmets before stating
that you're shocked that people don't wear bike helmets.
www.cyclehelmets.org may help you here.

Safer still, just don't mention the h word!

I'll take your advice.