Ordering a Trek 5200

Old September 19th 03, 10:31 PM
Per Elmsäter

Default Ordering a Trek 5200

Jason Spaceman wrote:
After test driving various road bikes I am thinking about ordering a
2004 Trek 5200 from my LBS (they don't have a 2003 5200 in my size so
I have to order next year's model). The price should come out to
about $3500 Canadian, give or take a hundred dollars or so.

Would I be pushing my luck if I asked the dealer to knock a couple
hundred bucks off the price, or kick in a decent pair of pedals for
free (say Speedplay X2's or something)? It's been awhile since I last
bought a new bike, back in Sept. 1997 to be exact. And I remember
back then the shop knocked $400 off the price of the bike, mind you it
was near the end of the season when many shops usually mark down
prices anyways.

J. Spaceman

When you want to make a deal it will never come on the product you want. It
is on another product that somebody will dump the price because nobody is
interested. I doubt anybody will dump the price on a 5200 today.
Last year I wasn't looking for a Trek 5200 particularly and just happened to
run into one. The price was right and I bought it. Had I been looking for
one it would have cost me full price ;-(

Today I am looking for a Trek Fuel 100 frame ( 19.5" if somebody sees this )
and there are none to be had, in my part of the world anyway. So if I want
one I'll just haver to order an 04 and expect to pay full price. Of course I
will ask my LBS what his best price is before I close the deal.

--
Perre

Old September 20th 03, 12:56 AM
Gazoo

Doesn't hurt to ask!

--

"Kurd" ,net wrote in message
om...
Yes you would be pushing your luck. It's a new bike. Don't push your luck
with the sales guys and usually you get taken care of better by the

service
guys.

-kurd

Old September 20th 03, 04:44 AM
Stan Lipnowski

You can always try, but that's not a bad price in CDN$.
It doesn't hurt to try.
Let us know what happens
Stan

Old September 20th 03, 04:49 AM
Stan Lipnowski

My LBS is actually selling the 2004for $150 CDN LESS than the 2003 model
Stan
"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Robert Chambers wrote:

I don't know if I buy that they can't come up with a 2003 in your size.
They have little incentive to if they can get you to pay a few hundred
bucks
more for a 2004. I was ordering a new Trek 5500 towards the end of last
year and got caught in this little game for a while, too. I made it

clear
I was also looking at other bikes at other dealers and that it made

little
difference to me if I had to take a walk to the other store and get the
other bike. And the bike I wanted magically materialized from

somewhere.

I don't normally like to deal with my LBS that way, but they've been a
revolving door for personnel lately and my years of loyalty have come to
mean nothing to the bubble-headed kids they try to run the place with

now.

Bob C.

They checked with their computer and they had no 2003 5200's left. They

did
have a 2003 5900 on display that I took for a test ride, but it was too
small for me and even with an end of the season discount it would've been
out of my price range. So my only option was to order a 2004 5200 if I
wanted a Trek in my size.

The Trek web site lists the 2004 5200 as having a suggested retail price

of
$2749.99 US. Which comes out to about $3735.42 Cdn. Do dealers follow

the
suggested retail prices all that much, or do they tend to price items
lower?

J. Spaceman