Low VO2 Max: Am I doomed?

Old September 23rd 03, 12:48 AM
BianchiDude

Default Low VO2 Max: Am I doomed?

I recently got tested to find out what my VO2 Max is. Unfortunately, I
was disappointed with the results. I figured I would be in the 50-70
range, but as you can see by the results, I just barely cracked 50.

Age: 38
Height: 73"
Weight: 163
Resting HR: 55
Max HR: 170 (according the the VO2 Max test, I've measured 174 on
rides)
VO2 Max: 50.1
Anaerobic Threshold: 42.5
AT %VO2 Max: 84.8%
AT HR: 152 bpm
Max Watts during test: 350
Max Watts/Kg: 4.7
Test Duration: 14 min

The test was conducted on a stationary cycle with HR monitor and a
device to measure expired CO2.

Being that I train somewhat casually, but fairly hard (3-4 days a
week, 2 hilly group rides and 1-2 individual rides) at about 100 miles
per week, I am wondering if this is my true VO2 max. I've read that
VO2 max can be increased, depending upon how "fit" the subject is
prior to taking the test.

Assuming that this IS my true VO2 max, and being that my AT is already
at 85%, (I've been told that there is diminishing marginal returns
going up from here)is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away?

BTW, my sprint potential is looking good. I pulled a peak max of 1,100
watts on the 30 sec WinGate test, with a mean output of 710 watts.
This puts me at 14.0 peak watts/Kg.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

p.s. I'm going to test again next year to see what affect smarter
training will have on these numbers.

Dave

Old September 23rd 03, 02:54 AM
Michael Dart

"BianchiDude" wrote in message
om...
BTW, my sprint potential is looking good. I pulled a peak max of 1,100
watts on the 30 sec WinGate test, with a mean output of 710 watts.
This puts me at 14.0 peak watts/Kg.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I suggest you take up downhill mountain biking.

Mike - but I would if you had Lance's VO2 Max ;^)

Old September 23rd 03, 05:05 AM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
(BianchiDude) wrote:

I recently got tested to find out what my VO2 Max is.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the results. I figured I
would be in the 50-70 range, but as you can see by the results, I
just barely cracked 50.

Which is significantly better than average, if I recall correctly.
Seems to me that the average VO2 max is about 43 ml/kg/min.

Age: 38
Height: 73"
Weight: 163
Resting HR: 55
Max HR: 170 (according the the VO2 Max test, I've measured 174 on
rides)
VO2 Max: 50.1
Anaerobic Threshold: 42.5
AT %VO2 Max: 84.8%
AT HR: 152 bpm
Max Watts during test: 350
Max Watts/Kg: 4.7
Test Duration: 14 min

snip

Assuming that this IS my true VO2 max, and being that my AT is already
at 85%, (I've been told that there is diminishing marginal returns
going up from here)is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away?

Under what circumstances- flats, hills, sprints, false flats? You
need to determine your strengths and limiters. For example, you may
sprint well, TT well or climb well, but the odds are good you don't do
all three equally well. Each takes a different kind of training.
From your numbers, I'd bet you'd climb better than me but I might be
able to outride you on the flats. I'd estimate you'd beat me the
majority of the time in a sprint, especially if it's uphill.

One way to increase VO2 max is to lose body fat, but at your height
and weight you're not carrying around a lot of flab. You may not be
carrying around much muscle mass either. I think you can improve your
top end- not necessarily VO2 max but strength-endurance in particular.

You might find Joe Friel's book _The Cyclist's Training Bible_ very
helpful, if you're interested in a very detailed multi-year plan to
shore up your weaknesses and hone your strengths.
Old September 23rd 03, 10:10 AM
Donald Munro

BianchiDude wrote:

I recently got tested to find out what my VO2 Max is. Unfortunately, I
was disappointed with the results. I figured I would be in the 50-70
range, but as you can see by the results, I just barely cracked 50.
Assuming that this IS my true VO2 max, and being that my AT is already
at 85%, (I've been told that there is diminishing marginal returns
going up from here)is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away?

VO2 max is no longer seen as a universal panacea for predicting athletic
performance compared to 10 or 20 years ago - see:
www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts/VO2max.doc

Old September 23rd 03, 03:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dk- is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away? BRBR

I guess you are assuming you are as fit as you are going to ever get. If yer
riding buddies are riding away from you, I think perhaps they are more fit, not
a better genetic example.

Like Eddy said-'ride lots'..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 23rd 03, 04:53 PM
Mike S.

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
news
BianchiDude wrote:

I recently got tested to find out what my VO2 Max is. Unfortunately, I
was disappointed with the results. I figured I would be in the 50-70
range, but as you can see by the results, I just barely cracked 50.
Assuming that this IS my true VO2 max, and being that my AT is already
at 85%, (I've been told that there is diminishing marginal returns
going up from here)is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away?

VO2 max is no longer seen as a universal panacea for predicting athletic
performance compared to 10 or 20 years ago - see:
www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts/VO2max.doc

Wasn't there some dude in the midwest that was cursed with average talent,
but managed to win lots and lots of races 'cause he was willing to push over
and above to do it? I remember reading about either here or r.b.racing.

The race doesn't always go to the guy blessed with natural talent. Lots of
times it goes to the guy that wants it the worst.

Indurain you're not (neither am I for that matter!), but you can still have
fun riding and racing. You just may never end up a Pro/1/2. (or you may,
it all depends on how badly you want it!)

Mike

Old September 23rd 03, 04:54 PM
Mike S.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
dk- is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away? BRBR

I guess you are assuming you are as fit as you are going to ever get. If

yer
riding buddies are riding away from you, I think perhaps they are more

fit, not
a better genetic example.

Like Eddy said-'ride lots'..

My favorite quote from Eddy Merckx went something like: go ride for 8 hours,
and in the last hour, go as hard as you can. Seemed to work for him...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old September 23rd 03, 05:44 PM
Donald Gillies

Donald Munro writes:

BianchiDude wrote:

I recently got tested to find out what my VO2 Max is. Unfortunately, I
was disappointed with the results. I figured I would be in the 50-70
range, but as you can see by the results, I just barely cracked 50.
Assuming that this IS my true VO2 max, and being that my AT is already
at 85%, (I've been told that there is diminishing marginal returns
going up from here)is there anything else I can do to increase
performance or am I doomed to watch my club buddies ride away?

VO2 max is no longer seen as a universal panacea for predicting athletic
performance compared to 10 or 20 years ago - see:
www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts/VO2max.doc

I think you should consider adding some weight training to your
aerobic training. it won't affect your VO2 max initially, but at
least you will be able to pursue your buddies longer in the breakaways
before they toast your ass.

seriously, though, i think you can still attain a higher level of
aerobic fitness by doing some strength training at the same time. i
found that it seemed to help me a lot in my 20's, after my varsity
swimming days were over.

Another idea is to find someone 3-5% better than you as a training
partner, and go on lots of rides with them, and do intervals. to hit
your aerobic ceiling, you need someone just a tiny bit better as a
training partner, and a very consistent routine. you can probably
still increase your VO2 by a surprising amount (10% or more) in this
way.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old September 26th 03, 10:00 PM
bianchi dude

"Michael Dart" wrote in message ...
"BianchiDude" wrote in message
om...
BTW, my sprint potential is looking good. I pulled a peak max of 1,100
watts on the 30 sec WinGate test, with a mean output of 710 watts.
This puts me at 14.0 peak watts/Kg.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I suggest you take up downhill mountain biking.

Mike - but I would if you had Lance's VO2 Max ;^)

Nice shot! I would, but I still have to huff it up the hills!

:-)