cycling and yoga

Old October 22nd 03, 05:01 AM
Mike Kruger

Default cycling and yoga

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
I was thinking of taking up yoga at the introductory level as my

off-season
strength and flexibility training. Does anyone have experience with yoga

and
cycling? Did yoga help your cycling?

Here's an article I found:

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/196.cfm

The blurb: "A yoga program can build a cyclist's strength and endurance

and
introduce flexibility to chronically tight muscles."

Here's a link to a 30 minute yoga program for cyclists:
http://www.hubbub.com/DailYoga/30MinuteYoga.htm
The owner of the HubBub bike shop posts regularly on the touring list and
seems like a nice person, for what that's worth.

I also have an intro book on yoga and cycling (somewhere) that my daughter
gave me.
I think this would be an interesting thing to try, but have never gotten
around to it. Let us know how it goes.

--
reply address: MikeKr at AOL dot COM

Old October 22nd 03, 07:25 AM
Sorni

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
I was thinking of taking up yoga at the introductory level as my

off-season
strength and flexibility training. Does anyone have experience with yoga

and
cycling? Did yoga help your cycling?

I've been doing yoga for almost two years now -- progressing from one fairly
mellow class a week to 2 or 3 lately (including a very rigorous one on
Saturdays when not out riding). While I can't swear that it actually HELPS
my cycling, it definitely stretches my leg and hip muscles and joints, as
well as back/shoulders/arms. While it can be quite intense at times, I find
yoga extremely enjoyable and relaxing (and the numerous young females in
Spandex don't hurt, either).

I used to take Pilates classes, by the way, and those DID help my cycling, I
think, my strengthening my "core" and increasing my sense of balance. (Note
to self: start going again!)

Bill "hasn't touched a weight at gym in a long time" S.

Old October 22nd 03, 02:53 PM
Bob M

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:25:54 GMT, Sorni wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I've also been interested in yoga for its balance and stretching.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old October 22nd 03, 05:53 PM

Kevan Smith wrote:
: I was thinking of taking up yoga at the introductory level as my off-season
: strength and flexibility training. Does anyone have experience with yoga and
: cycling? Did yoga help your cycling?

Maybe it can help you feel your body. There are many kinds of yoga
like there's many kinds of cycling.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old October 22nd 03, 06:47 PM
Mann

I think Yoga is a great way to stretch the legs.
I used to think I was stretching my quads when I did
the foot to butt stretch. Then I started doing seated Yoga
stretches for the quads, like Hero Posture, which is a seated
quad stretch - and I found out that my quads, knees and ankles
were very tight. After a few months they loosened up and I
could get into that posture. I feel that it has helped my chronic
knee pain a lot. Be careful not to overdo, or you can hurt yourself.
I used the book Power Yoga by Birch. It was written for runners
but I think it's good for cyclists, too.

Mann

Old October 25th 03, 12:23 AM
B.C. Cletta

I was thinking of taking up yoga at the introductory level as my
off-season strength and flexibility training. Does anyone have
experience with yoga and cycling? Did yoga help your cycling?

i've been doing the yoga thing for the last few years. i've lost
most for that slight aero arch across the upper back & shoulders from
riding the hoods & keeping my elbows in.
the main problem w/ yoga is that any hack can hang up a yoga
shingle and help you rip up a few ligaments.
what i've found is that the "Iyangar" school is the best for
beginners because the instructors do something i've not seen in other
schools. they'll ask at the start of a class if anyone is injured,
ailing, or menstruating and have the skills to modify the program for
you to minimize the risk of further damage and discomfort. they know
a lot of tricks to get you thru a class.
they learn this stuff in a very rigorous training program, a year
plus, none of this weekend nonsense w/ a Photoshop diploma.

"paschima namaskar, gomukhasana, supta virasana"
Old October 26th 03, 02:47 AM
Bianchi2

The Iyengar style of yoga also uses props and straps to help reach the proper
alignment in the asanas. I like the emphasis on proper form. I've found yoga
to be extemely useful...
Old March 22nd 05, 03:44 PM
tony tony is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kruger
[...]

Hey Mike and Kevan,

Was browsing the web ...saw your post. I've been an endurance cyclist in San Francisco, CA. for about 12 years. I went to a Yoga class to learn "how to stretch." And since then, I've become a Yoga teacher (laugh). Yoga will definitely help the control of the breath - mind, provide you with a greater range of motion, and shorten your recovery time. Keep it up! If you have any questions about Yoga, feel free to contact me ....check me out at: http://ynottony.com

Congratulations on your success ....tony eason
Old March 22nd 05, 03:51 PM
tony tony is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. Cletta
(B.C. Cletta) wrote in message om...
[...]

oh, yeah, i gave this book to a friend that was developing a nice
keyboard arch (from hunching over the keyboard all day). i think that
it's a good primer:
http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/Shop/Boo...Use_Yoga_L154/

(if the link busts, google "How to Use Yoga Mira Mehta")
Great statment!

As an endurance cyclist, I began yoga to learn "how to stretch correctly." And over the last 11 years, I have become an Iyengar Yoga Teacher. And, I would agree with you about our system of teaching. I have written a mini sequence geared for cyclist. Check it out at:http://ynottony.com/expo. And, if any of you cyclist have any yoga questions ...please feel free to send me an email ....I'm here to assist. Iyengar Yoga Teacher, tony eason.