29ers

Old September 27th 03, 03:45 PM
Mike DeMicco

Default 29ers

Is this all marketing hype, or will 29" wheels actually make you faster?
I'm interested in A-B comparisions over a timed course.

Old September 27th 03, 04:54 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Mike DeMicco wrote:

Is this all marketing hype, or will 29" wheels actually make you faster?
I'm interested in A-B comparisions over a timed course.

Well, they're heavier and weaker, but they roll over obstacles better.
The answer? Depends on the course.

Sorry,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old September 27th 03, 05:36 PM
Scott G

Is this all marketing hype, or will 29" wheels actually make you faster?
I'm interested in A-B comparisions over a timed course.

My brother bought a 29er a few months ago. he loves it. he also 'seems'
faster....he can certainly make rooty climbs better that i can (back wheel
stays planted better). parts, tubes, etc are hard to come by, however. i'm
going to wait to see if it outlives the hype.

Old September 27th 03, 07:54 PM
ClydesdaleMTB

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Mike DeMicco wrote:

Is this all marketing hype, or will 29" wheels actually make you faster?
I'm interested in A-B comparisions over a timed course.

Well, they're heavier

Really?

and weaker,

And what independent data do you base this presumption upon?

--
John G.
http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

Old September 27th 03, 09:04 PM
Dave W

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:54:01 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB
wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Mike DeMicco wrote:

Is this all marketing hype, or will 29" wheels actually make you faster?
I'm interested in A-B comparisions over a timed course.

Well, they're heavier

Really?

and weaker,

And what independent data do you base this presumption upon?

Sorry to interject here, John. But how the hell are ya?
Old September 28th 03, 10:57 PM
ClydedaleMTB_in_TN

Dave W wrote:
Sorry to interject here, John. But how the hell are ya?

Great!
Just got back to TN from 4 days in NH, rode lots of sweet singletrack.
Now it's back to bustin' the bad guys.

Old September 28th 03, 11:34 PM
Dave W

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:57:25 -0500, ClydedaleMTB_in_TN
wrote:

Dave W wrote:
Sorry to interject here, John. But how the hell are ya?

Great!
Just got back to TN from 4 days in NH, rode lots of sweet singletrack.
Now it's back to bustin' the bad guys.

Good job Clyde. i would think the beautiful singletrack is a great
coping device. Glad you had a chance to get some of the goods then.
Nice to hear from ya'

Dave (that's cope-ing)
Old September 27th 03, 09:35 PM
Pete

"ClydesdaleMTB" wrote

Well, they're heavier

Really?

Larger + same materials = more weight

and weaker,

And what independent data do you base this presumption upon?

Larger + same materials and construction = less strong.

The actual measured diff might not be much, but extrapolate it up and down.
Would a 50" wheel be heavier, and taco easier than a 10"?

Pete

Old September 28th 03, 04:52 AM
Anthony Sloan

Pete wrote:
"ClydesdaleMTB" wrote

Well, they're heavier

Really?

Larger + same materials = more weight

and weaker,

And what independent data do you base this presumption upon?

Larger + same materials and construction = less strong.

The actual measured diff might not be much, but extrapolate it up and down.
Would a 50" wheel be heavier, and taco easier than a 10"?

Pete

This is why wheels should be built to purpose.

I have a set of 29" whells built up for fully rigid singlespeeding. I
have every confidence in them.

Now if they were machine laced OEM crap, then yup. I'd be skeered to
ride em.

Old October 4th 03, 12:32 AM
supabonbon

Anthony Sloan wrote in message ...
Pete wrote:
"ClydesdaleMTB" wrote

Well, they're heavier

Really?

Larger + same materials = more weight

and weaker,

And what independent data do you base this presumption upon?

Larger + same materials and construction = less strong.

The actual measured diff might not be much, but extrapolate it up and down.
Would a 50" wheel be heavier, and taco easier than a 10"?

Pete

This is why wheels should be built to purpose.

I have a set of 29" whells built up for fully rigid singlespeeding. I
have every confidence in them.

Now if they were machine laced OEM crap, then yup. I'd be skeered to
ride em.

What might that build be, buddy?

/s