Edinburgh cycle hire

Old June 30th 08, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default Edinburgh cycle hire

I have just booked a couple of days in Edinburgh.
I am thinking of hiring a bike for a day, where should I go, and will
they offer spd pedals or toe clips.

Martin.
Old June 30th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pob

"Martin" wrote in message

I have just booked a couple of days in Edinburgh.
I am thinking of hiring a bike for a day, where should I go, and will they
offer spd pedals or toe clips.

Martin.

Since I live here I rarely need to hire bikes, but when I did need to hire
one, Biketrax did me good service (http://www.biketrax.co.uk/) - I'm pretty
certain they fitted SPDs for me, but my memory ain't so good these days, I
may have taken my own along with me, so give them a ring.

The Tandem concerned was a Thorn, it was in good condition, the gears and
brakes all did what gears and brakes should do, and a good time was had by
all, except my stoker, who can't ride a solo bike since her sight
deteriorated, got a tad saddle sore because I took us a tad (about 20miles)
further than she had anticipated. A few glasses of wine, a good dinner, and
she forgave me.

pOB

Old June 30th 08, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robin Johnson

Martin wrote:

I have just booked a couple of days in Edinburgh.
I am thinking of hiring a bike for a day, where should I go, and will
they offer spd pedals or toe clips.

Last time a friend visited, we hired her a hybrid from Leith Cycle Co. -
cheaper than anywhere else we could find, friendly, and no problems.
http://www.leithcycleco.com/
I don't know whether they do SPDs or toe-clips, but I don't see why not.

The Forest Café on Bristo Place apparently loans out bikes for free, but
there's probably not much choice, and they're quite likely to have run
out.

My favourite nice local rides include: east along the Forth coast to
North Berwick (follow "John Muir Way"), north across the Forth Bridge
(the NCN1 gets you to the Bridge quite pleasantly, although there's a
narrow, walled mud-and-boulders bit next to an A-road you're not allowed
on), or west along the Union Canal towpath to the Falkirk Wheel (or on
to Glasgow, but I've never got round to doing that.)

You can take bikes on Scotrail trains without reservations, so there
shouldn't be any trouble getting back to Edinburgh that way.
--
Robin Johnson

You could try something different at www.laid-back-bikes.co.uk
Old July 1st 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

Martin wrote:

I have just booked a couple of days in Edinburgh.
I am thinking of hiring a bike for a day, where should I go, and will
they offer spd pedals or toe clips.

For where to go buy one or a few of the local cycle paths maps from
www.spokes.org.uk or pretty much any Edinburgh bike shop. Edinburgh
has an extensive network of cycle paths quite disconnected from the
road network. The runs alongside the Union Canal (from Fountainbridge
out westwards) or along the Water of Leith are particularly scenic.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old July 6th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Robin Johnson wrote:
Martin wrote:

I have just booked a couple of days in Edinburgh.
I am thinking of hiring a bike for a day, where should I go, and will
they offer spd pedals or toe clips.

Last time a friend visited, we hired her a hybrid from Leith Cycle Co. -
cheaper than anywhere else we could find, friendly, and no problems.
http://www.leithcycleco.com/
I don't know whether they do SPDs or toe-clips, but I don't see why not.

Thankyou for this (and other suggestions).
I hired one from Leith Cycle Co. for a day for a tenner, and bought a
spokes map.

The bike was very well set up, and a pleasure to ride. I can recommend
this place to anyone else wanting to hire a bike in Edinburgh.

I covered about 35miles, including crossing the Forth road bridge, and
going along some of the cycle tracks.
The traffic in Edinburgh is definitely a lot less manic than the traffic
in Bristol.

Seville Cycle Hire elyob UK 2 March 18th 08 07:18 PM
Cycle Hire in Stratford upon Avon [email protected] UK 23 December 7th 07 08:10 AM
Cycle hire in Lille, France Chrisso UK 1 July 22nd 07 12:05 PM
Edinburgh Cycle Shop Query Steve Hodgson UK 3 May 28th 06 01:31 AM
Enq! Edinburgh to St. Andrews charity cycle Centurian_Oooyabass UK 1 September 2nd 05 12:40 AM