Noise from Sidi Dominator shoes?

Old July 21st 05, 03:48 AM
B. B. Kosicki

Default Noise from Sidi Dominator shoes?

Last year I bought a pair of Sidi Dominators that I use with SPD pedals
on a road bike.

All was well until this spring, when I noticed noise from my shoes. I
tightened the cleats again (pretty tight now), and the noise has
changed. Now, the shoes creak when the pressure on the pedals is high,
such as going uphill hard. Its pretty annoying.

I tried putting silicone spray on the pedals, but no significant change.
The noise happens on both my bikes (so pedal wear probably isn't the
problem).

The noise really starts only after about 10 miles or so of quick riding,
and as I said, seems to be worst when putting a lot of pressure on the
pedals. Retightening the straps at this point doesn't seem to make much
change.

Has anyone else had a noise problem with Sidi Dominators? The dealer
was surprised when I mentioned this to him, as if he had never heard of
it before. Am I the only one who has had this problem?

If you've had this problem, have you found a fix? The manufacturer
doesn't seem to recommend any oil or treatment for the shoes (which are
made of synthetic material, not leather). I've tried cleaning with
saddle soap (allowed by Sidi), but no change.

Bernie Kosicki
Old July 21st 05, 03:52 AM
Neil Brooks

"B. B. Kosicki" wrote:

Last year I bought a pair of Sidi Dominators that I use with SPD pedals
on a road bike.

All was well until this spring, when I noticed noise from my shoes. I
tightened the cleats again (pretty tight now), and the noise has
changed. Now, the shoes creak when the pressure on the pedals is high,
such as going uphill hard. Its pretty annoying.

I tried putting silicone spray on the pedals, but no significant change.
The noise happens on both my bikes (so pedal wear probably isn't the
problem).

The noise really starts only after about 10 miles or so of quick riding,
and as I said, seems to be worst when putting a lot of pressure on the
pedals. Retightening the straps at this point doesn't seem to make much
change.

Are you just absolutely sure that your shoes are the problem?

Here's a great link to help diagnose creaks and clicks:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...queaking.shtml

I know you say it's happening on two bikes. It /could/ be something
as simple as your cleat bolts needing to be removed, cleaned, greased,
and retorqued.

For that matter, though, the same might be what's required for your
pedals, crank bolts, chainring bolts, or bottom bracket cups.

Good luck. These can be annoying little issues....
Old July 21st 05, 05:27 AM
Ken

"B. B. Kosicki" wrote in :
All was well until this spring, when I noticed noise from my shoes. I
tightened the cleats again (pretty tight now), and the noise has
changed. Now, the shoes creak when the pressure on the pedals is high,
such as going uphill hard. Its pretty annoying.

Is the noise coming from the shoes or from the cleats rubbing against the
pedals? If the latter, maybe you need to align your cleats better.
Old July 21st 05, 06:51 AM
Dan

"B. B. Kosicki" wrote in message
[...]

Bernie-

I have a pair of Sidi Dominator (mega) shoes that sometimes squeak and
creak. Although the pedals and SPD cleat make some noise at times, I have
found that the shoe uppers can be noisy. A liberal application of boot
grease to the tongue where it overlaps the top of the shoe seems to help.
They make less noise as they get older. They now have about 8000 miles on
them and are usually quiet. I like the shoes and they fit like a glove but
the creaking was really annoying.

Noise from the wheel? ChangingLINKS.com Unicycling 10 March 13th 05 03:56 AM
strange noise Paul Nevai Techniques 4 June 10th 04 02:31 PM
Ticking noise from wheels Keith Boone Techniques 7 September 16th 03 02:02 AM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM