Need big loop tour ideas, west central Mich

Old June 27th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Need big loop tour ideas, west central Mich

So the plan is: on Friday pedal out my door in Grand Rapids. And return
sometime on July 4.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'll be light camping on my ATB. Maybe 40 mpd,
maybe more. Last time I did this I lived on PB and banana, with a
purchased cup of coffee and dinner.

Thinking about Saugatuck and lakeshore stuff towards the south and
west, but don't want to just ride the Shoreline route up and down. Some
inland would be good. I haven't yet done the Kal-Haven trail. Orchards
in season? A great small town fireworks display?

My fondest memory of my two-week 1000-mile trip (1979) was meeting
people who'd insist that I share their campsite or pitch my tent in
their backyard. Great conversations, and made it real fun to send out
the holiday cards that year.

TIA

--Karen D.

Old June 27th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I can't speak to a complete loop, but I happened to be visiting family in
the Mattawan-Paw Paw area last weekend, and ran a 15K road race in
Muskegon. As I drove up M-40, from Paw Paw to Holland, I was thinking
it'd make a pretty nice bike tour route. Decent road, wide shoulder, and
scenic as it winds through farm country. As a bonus, when you get down
into Van Buren County, you'll find lots and lots of fresh fruit stands
and a handful of wineries in Paw Paw. Of course, M-40 also crosses the
Kal Haven trail up by Gobles, so you could loop into Kalamazoo or out to
South Haven.

"Veloise" wrote in news:1151378021.146457.315670
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

Old June 28th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Veloise" wrote in message
oups.com...
So the plan is: on Friday pedal out my door in Grand Rapids. And return
sometime on July 4.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'll be light camping on my ATB. Maybe 40 mpd,
maybe more. Last time I did this I lived on PB and banana, with a
purchased cup of coffee and dinner.

Thinking about Saugatuck and lakeshore stuff towards the south and
west, but don't want to just ride the Shoreline route up and down. Some
inland would be good. I haven't yet done the Kal-Haven trail. Orchards
in season? A great small town fireworks display?

How about riding on all the trails which have been (or were proposed to have
been) named for Fred Meier?

You could also stop at as many Meier stores as possible while doing this.
There's a store locator he
http://www.meijer.com/storelocator/default.aspx

Mike "not really suggesting this" Kruger

Old June 28th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Mike Kruger wrote:
You could also stop at as many Meier [sic] stores as possible while doing this.
There's a store locator he
http://www.meijer.com/storelocator/default.aspx

Can't afford it.

There's a reason the places are known as the "Shifty Takers": you dash
in for a roll of film or a can of motor oil, and stagger out, dazed, 45
minutes later and $50 poorer. The carts have self-guidance systems that
track down *every* aisle in the store, and magic magnetic doo-dads (a
technical term) that causes stuff to fall off the shelves into them.

And did I mention that this is a bike trip and that the four-wheeler
will be left at home? Dang Fred and his big box product.

Besides, I hit one or another Meijer's several times a week. This is a
vacation, dammit!

HTH

--Karen D.
picking up a remaindered copy of a west Mich bike ride route book later
today

Tour du Central Belt David Martin UK 2 August 3rd 04 03:54 PM
South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'... Howard UK 363 July 20th 04 11:42 PM
Lament............. Davey Crockett Racing 4 April 10th 04 01:56 PM