so you want to be a pro?

Old May 14th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Default so you want to be a pro?

I'm always amazed by the folks who plug away their entire 20's,
chasing that elusive pro contract, thinking that if they just get that
one opportunity they'll make it big. All they need is someone to
notice them and it's on like donkey kong. The sad thing is, most of
those in this situation must be delusional, as it's not a case of not
being noticed, it's probably a case of just not having the talent (are
you reading this, Mike?).

Here's a case of what happens when you actually have the goods:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-clercq_172960

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Old May 14th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 13, 7:33*pm, Scott wrote:

I'm always amazed by the folks who plug away their entire 20's,
chasing that elusive pro contract, thinking that if they just get that
one opportunity they'll make it big. *All they need is someone to
notice them and it's on like donkey kong. *The sad thing is, most of
those in this situation must be delusional, as it's not a case of not
being noticed, it's probably a case of just not having the talent (are
you reading this, Mike?).

Here's a case of what happens when you actually have the goods:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-stage-winner-...

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Scarponi came so close at the end. Miss-timed it by nanoseconds.
Excellent win for the young guy and his background makes it even
better.

BTW, I don't think it is necessary for you to point out that Mikey
Schitsman was a doping douchebag. That's pretty much a given.

Old May 14th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm always amazed by the folks who plug away their entire 20's,
chasing that elusive pro contract, thinking that if they just get that
one opportunity they'll make it big. All they need is someone to
notice them and it's on like donkey kong. The sad thing is, most of
those in this situation must be delusional, as it's not a case of not
being noticed, it's probably a case of just not having the talent (are
you reading this, Mike?).

Here's a case of what happens when you actually have the goods:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-clercq_172960

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Ah yes, living the $12k dream. :-)

I was actually discussing this last night with my (18 year old) son. Joking
that there's still time; if he wanted to dedicate his life to it, he could
become a successful bike racer (his epilepsy being just a minor thing
standing in the way). And I brought up the $12k dream, making sure he
understood the difference between the local pros and what he sees in the
TdF. I'll see if he wants to read Kimmage's book, "Rough Ride."

Too many Mikes around here! This one never doped when racing. :-)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old May 14th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

All low performing cyclists are a result of having picked the wrong
parents.

Parents that pass on low V02 coupled with the deathnail of "morality
and ethics" ensure a cyclists demise
Old May 14th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 14, 10:08*am, Anton Berlin wrote:

All low performing cyclists are a result of having picked the wrong
parents.

Parents that pass on low V02 coupled with the deathnail of "morality
and ethics" ensure a cyclists demise

Do you mean the deathnail of "morality and ethics" that is only
discovered after someone committed the offense?
"I'm sorry, your Honor, it was a bad time for me and I made some bad
choices, and I'm really, really sorry. I'll have to live with it all
my life." Sniff, sob.

Whingemaster Flash is playing all high and mighty after the fact, yet
he was just another doping douchebag. He knew what he was doing.
It's not like someone held a gun to his head. And he doesn't regret
any of it. **** him.

Old May 14th 11, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 14, 4:05*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article*Mike wrote:

You guys that watch on the sidelines and then judge the people that
tried to make it and failed - I think that is really sad.
But Scott, maybe you were doing something really fun in your 20's, I
don't know, drummer in a crappy band, I hope so.

We do not judge you for doping, or not being as talented as the
good ones, or trying and failing. We judge you for spewing your
bitterness on those around you. We have all had those experiences,
even if they were not bicycle racing experiences.

Please forward this to Landis. Thanks.

Old May 15th 11, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

Do it yourself: https://twitter.com/GreyManrod
Old May 17th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Scott wrote:
I'm always amazed by the folks who plug away their entire 20's,
chasing that elusive pro contract, thinking that if they just get that
one opportunity they'll make it big. All they need is someone to
notice them and it's on like donkey kong. The sad thing is, most of
those in this situation must be delusional, as it's not a case of not
being noticed, it's probably a case of just not having the talent (are
you reading this, Mike?).

Here's a case of what happens when you actually have the goods:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...-clercq_172960

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Great line: "Riders should attack a little bit more, they sometimes look
too much to each other. If you feel good, you always need to try to
attack."

I don't know that it's actually good advice. One could argue - pretty
convincingly, IMHO - that the reason he stayed away is because no one
thought a no-name-newbie was capable of staying away for that long. The
interesting thing to watch is whether he wins more or is a one-trick
wonder who had beginner's - and unknown rider's - luck.

Of course, I apologize for actually discussing the race. I know
on-topic posting aren't allowed and we're supposed to **** and moan
about doping, old riders in old races, and our own never-realized
dreams. Again, my apologies -- I'll try not to let it happen again.

-S-

Old May 17th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Steve Freides" wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]