Euro BB is a euro BB is a euro BB--or is it?

Old July 21st 05, 07:34 AM
A Muzi

Default Euro BB is a euro BB is a euro BB--or is it?

wrote:

Bike: Thorn Raven Tour with eccentric BB shell.
Problem: Drive-side bottom bracket race will not thread into eccentric
shell.

I thought that all Euro BB threads are the same and that I could use
any brand on the market. I'm thinking not since I've tried two
different bottom brackets ( an IRD sealed cartridge and Primo Powerbite
euro ) without good results.
I stopped by the local bike shop today to see what they thought. They
pulled a Shimano sealed cartridge BB off the shelf and it threaded in
without difficulty? Now I'm confused. Is the Thorn eccentric
eccentric BB only capable of using a Shimano sealed cartridges?

Do you have your cartridge positioned the right way around (
reverse thread on chain side)? and do you work with threaded
assemblies regularly? A mechanic starts a thread with a
smooth facile motion. You might not have the cartridge just
exactly on the axis of the thread. Ask their mechanic to
start it or just install it for you.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Matthew Brinkley KNOWS Euro Pro Racing crit PRO Racing 3 January 25th 05 05:45 AM
Euro Cross Camp II--race #1 CrossSportif Racing 3 December 25th 04 08:27 PM
Beautiful Bike ride In Euro Red Cloud General 11 September 10th 04 03:40 PM
Prize Jim & Meg Techniques 14 July 29th 04 06:24 PM
euro jersey sizing (tall & skinny) Benjamin Lewis General 4 June 12th 04 09:33 AM