Ideas for mounting mp3 speakers?

Old August 23rd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
NY Rides

Default Ideas for mounting mp3 speakers?

This is a two-part question:

First, what are the best bike-mountable mini speakers you've come up with?
By "best," I mean best-sounding and most compact for bicycle use.

Second, how did you mount them? Are they easily removable?

--
Low Impact Rides In The New York/Long Island/Westchester Area & Beyond
www.geocities.com/NYRides

Old August 23rd 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thehick

NY Rides wrote:
This is a two-part question:

First, what are the best bike-mountable mini speakers you've come up with?
By "best," I mean best-sounding and most compact for bicycle use.

Second, how did you mount them? Are they easily removable?

please. don't do it. the only people that put speakers
on thier bikes are homeless or weird. nobody else.
and when i ding my bell and you don't hear it, you look
dumb.

Old August 23rd 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

NY Rides wrote:
This is a two-part question:

First, what are the best bike-mountable mini speakers you've come up
with? By "best," I mean best-sounding and most compact for bicycle
use.

Earbuds, bud. Don't inflict your sounds on those around you.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

NY Rides anon. wrote:
This is a two-part question:

First, what are the best bike-mountable mini speakers you've come up with?
By "best," I mean best-sounding and most compact for bicycle use.

Second, how did you mount them? Are they easily removable?

Hey NY!
Here's a link to one solution:

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/06/diy_bike_stereo.html

Search makezine.com and you may find a few more.

All the best,
Larry

Old August 23rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
NY Rides

Tee hee. Two very funny answers. I should note that:
1. I'm 43 years old and often "host" rides with people who are not totally
comfortable on bikes. The music helps to loosen everybody up. I'm not
blasting gangsta rap or the American Idol CD. This is purely summertime fun
music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s to now. The few people who pass within 10
feet of me don't seem to mind the music at all. In fact, it's just the
opposite. I've made lots of people smile with my existing speaker setup and
have provoked more friendly conversations than ever before in my riding
history.
2. I can't use ear buds for two reasons: They consistently cause infections
in my inner ears after just one or two sweaty rides; and I just don't like
being oblivious to the road conditions around me. Let the roller bladers
stuff their ears and ignore everybody else.

Presently, I use a San Disk m260 4GB mp3 player (teeny tiny thing) plugged
into a battery-powered Radio Shack mini speaker. Well, OK, I have TWO
battery-powered mini speakers - one mounted very neatly on my handle bars,
the other mounted on my rear rack to face the other riders - so I guess I am
sort of a geek. Anyway, it sounds good, but it's louder than it is clear.
I switched the speakers out on one trip with two larger computer speakers
and there was a great improvement in the sound; however, it wasn't worth the
additional weight.

So, all judgements aside, who's got a really serious mp3 rig they're willing
to share?

Old August 23rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:11:38 -0400, "NY Rides"
wrote:

Tee hee. Two very funny answers. I should note that:
1. I'm 43 years old and often "host" rides with people who are not totally
comfortable on bikes. The music helps to loosen everybody up.

One would think that the distraction of the noise would make the
needed attention span worse for the begining rider.

I'm not
blasting gangsta rap or the American Idol CD. This is purely summertime fun
music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s to now. The few people who pass within 10
feet of me don't seem to mind the music at all. In fact, it's just the
opposite. I've made lots of people smile with my existing speaker setup and
have provoked more friendly conversations than ever before in my riding
history.

Do you have any idea how annoying this situation would be to riders
that you share your space with? In most riding environments, imo, you
would be shot at dawn, no blindfold and no cigarette.

snip
Old August 23rd 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
NY Rides

One would think that the distraction of the noise would make the needed
attention span worse for the beginning rider.

They're not beginners, just people who are hesitant to ride with me because
they know I'm much more experienced than they are. Trust me...it works
(Continued below)

Do you have any idea how annoying this situation would be to riders

that you share your space with? In most riding environments, imo, you
would be shot at dawn, no blindfold and no cigarette.

Again...trust me. I know the kind of annoying rider you're talking about.
My system, even once I improve it, will not broadcast beyond about ten feet.
And where I ride, there usually aren't that many other cyclists around
anyway. The way I figure it, if a bike passes me at 10-15 miles an hour,
the most "noise" they will be subjected to is about two seconds. Also, when
I ride into a group of other riders, I have the sense to turn the volume
down or off. I'm not looking to make a spectacle or to **** anybody off.
I'm just trying to keep the fun in riding the same old routes and trails
every day.

So....without turning this thread into a debate about whether I'm a selfish
jerk or not, can anybody comment on my original question?

snip
news

Old August 23rd 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , NY Rides
wrote:

This is a two-part question:

First, what are the best bike-mountable mini speakers you've come up with?
By "best," I mean best-sounding and most compact for bicycle use.

Second, how did you mount them? Are they easily removable?

Pimp your ride! You might consider this: a) burn a CD of a couple
hundred of your favourite mp3s; b) get yourself a cheap (battery
operated) boombox that features anti-shock and plays mp3 discs ; c)
strap the boom box to your rack.

Luke