old derailleur gallery

Old September 15th 03, 03:41 AM
ari

Default old derailleur gallery

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami...uret/huret.htm

Old September 15th 03, 04:26 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:41:59 +0000, ari wrote:

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami...uret/huret.htm

It's quite a trip down memory lane. Odd, though, that a Japanese site
devoted to old derailleurs has nothing made in Japan.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 15th 03, 05:48 AM
jim beam

wow, memory lane...

anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram
derailleur - like they all are now? i remember getting a suntour -
which was before campy recognised the value of this system - but anyone
recall the history on that?

jb

Old September 15th 03, 07:42 AM
Alan Walker

"ari" wrote in message ...
http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami...uret/huret.htm

Brings back memories.

I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt
that a lighter derailleur has ever been made - and it has ball
bearings in the jockey wheels!
Old September 15th 03, 12:20 PM
Alan Walker

jim beam wrote in message m...
wow, memory lane...

anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram
derailleur - like they all are now? i remember getting a suntour -
which was before campy recognised the value of this system - but anyone
recall the history on that?

jb

See a book called "The Dancing Chain", for example at

http://www.cyclepublishing.com/dc.htm

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...40607?v=glance

Raymond Henry also wrote a book called (in English translation) "The
Modern Derailleur Bicycle". If you can read and write French, an
enquiry on fr.rec.sport.cyclisme will probably track it down.

Cheers

AW
Old September 15th 03, 01:01 PM
Doug Milliken

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, jim beam wrote:

anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram
derailleur - like they all are now? i remember getting a suntour -

Believe that Suntour had a patent on slant parallelogram. As soon
as the patent was up, Shimano and others copied it. Check in
"The Dancing Chain", by Frank Berto for a more complete story??

Old September 15th 03, 04:24 PM
Garrison Hilliard

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm

Old September 15th 03, 09:55 PM
John Everett

On 14 Sep 2003 23:42:42 -0700, (Alan Walker)
wrote:

"ari" wrote in message ...
http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami...uret/huret.htm

Brings back memories.

I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt
that a lighter derailleur has ever been made - and it has ball
bearings in the jockey wheels!

Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball
bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess (but have no direct knowledge) that
you would also find them on old Campy kit.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old September 15th 03, 11:28 PM
Donald Gillies

wrote:

"ari" wrote in message ...
http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami...uret/huret.htm

Brings back memories.

I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt
that a lighter derailleur has ever been made - and it has ball
bearings in the jockey wheels!

Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball
bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess (but have no direct knowledge) that
you would also find them on old Campy kit.

negative. Most prestiges simply had the standard non ball-bearing
wheels (e.g. metal inner ring, 2 outer washers with gnurled lips,
which served as guides form the plastic wheel that rotates without
bearings against these 3 metals pieces.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3