See, there are bad officials everywhere!!!

Old October 11th 04, 08:28 PM
chris

Default See, there are bad officials everywhere!!!

HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands
"LiveStrong" doesn't add up to "run fast," at least for one high
school official in Virginia.

More than two dozen high school track athletes were disqualified from
an Oct. 6 event in Virginia Beach, Va., after an administrator ruled
Lance Armstrong's popular "LiveStrong" wristbands amounted to jewelry,
banned under district rules.

Some 26 athletes were wearing the yellow plastic bans and were
subsequently disqualified from the track event, according to a report
in the The Virginia Pilot newspaper.

"It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard," said Lanny Doan, one of the
high school coaches. "We're talking about a rubber band. It's not
going to harm anyone."

Some 12 million of the wrist bands have been sold nationwide to raise
money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The wrist bands have become
a cultural phenomenon, with big-time sports stars and even
presidential candidates sporting the plastic bands.

The wrist bands, however, fell afoul with school officials in Virginia
who have banned all except religious or medical jewelry from high
school track events. The Virginia Pilot reported high officials
notified coaches by e-mailed prior to Wednesday's with reminders that
the rule would be enforced.

Several athletes won their heats but were later disqualified after
wearing the wrist bands. One of the school's girl's squad lost out on
the team competition because of the ruling.

"Basically, we lost because of a cancer-support bracelet," Ocean Lakes
coach Mike Nestor told the newspaper. "This is a friendly sport. I'd
rather be told kids had to take them off before they run than told
‘gotcha' afterward."
Old October 11th 04, 08:44 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

I was so f#ckin ahead of the times -- good thing they didn't try that
crap on me when I was in grad school:

http://www.jt10000.com/jtgal/fpns.htm

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 11th 04, 08:48 PM
Richard Adams

chris wrote:

HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands
"LiveStrong" doesn't add up to "run fast," at least for one high
school official in Virginia.

More than two dozen high school track athletes were disqualified from
an Oct. 6 event in Virginia Beach, Va., after an administrator ruled
Lance Armstrong's popular "LiveStrong" wristbands amounted to jewelry,
banned under district rules.

Some 26 athletes were wearing the yellow plastic bans and were
subsequently disqualified from the track event, according to a report
in the The Virginia Pilot newspaper.

translation [Some doddering 'officials' woke up from their hangovers and
wet dreams, made a decision and then passed out again.]

Old October 11th 04, 09:03 PM
Clovis Lark

chris wrote:
HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands
"LiveStrong" doesn't add up to "run fast," at least for one high
school official in Virginia.

More than two dozen high school track athletes were disqualified from
an Oct. 6 event in Virginia Beach, Va., after an administrator ruled
Lance Armstrong's popular "LiveStrong" wristbands amounted to jewelry,
banned under district rules.

Some 26 athletes were wearing the yellow plastic bans and were
subsequently disqualified from the track event, according to a report
in the The Virginia Pilot newspaper.

"It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard," said Lanny Doan, one of the
high school coaches. "We're talking about a rubber band. It's not
going to harm anyone."

And there you have it, friends. Lanny Doan, no doubt, is on the faculty
of a high school listed as a teacher, yet he doesn't know english!

Some 12 million of the wrist bands have been sold nationwide to raise
money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The wrist bands have become
a cultural phenomenon, with big-time sports stars and even
presidential candidates sporting the plastic bands.

The wrist bands, however, fell afoul with school officials in Virginia
who have banned all except religious or medical jewelry from high

AIn't Livestrong the epitome of medical jewelry?

school track events. The Virginia Pilot reported high officials
notified coaches by e-mailed prior to Wednesday's with reminders that
the rule would be enforced.

Several athletes won their heats but were later disqualified after
wearing the wrist bands. One of the school's girl's squad lost out on
the team competition because of the ruling.

"Basically, we lost because of a cancer-support bracelet," Ocean Lakes
coach Mike Nestor told the newspaper. "This is a friendly sport. I'd
rather be told kids had to take them off before they run than told
‘gotcha' afterward."

See, now this guy has his english straight...
Old October 11th 04, 10:09 PM
TritonRider

This bull**** goes along with the NFL fining and threatening to do more to Jake
Plummer for wearing his friend and ex-teamate Pat Tillman's number on his
helmet. It's OK when it's a league/whatever sponsored PR event, but when it's
from the heart by people involved and they don't get a cut, they get hammered.
I'd bet the opposing coach filed a protest of the Livestrong bracelets as
jewelery, in that case the officials are screwed, they have to go with the
closest rule, and in this case it wins. Billy Martin was famous for this ****,
the officials would have to try to outguess what the **** he was going to try
next and be ready to deal with it. A lot of his players were disgusted with him
and told the officials what he was going to try next so they could be ready.
Bill c
Old October 11th 04, 10:37 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:03:13 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
wrote:

chris wrote:

"It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard," said Lanny Doan, one of the
high school coaches. "We're talking about a rubber band. It's not
going to harm anyone."

And there you have it, friends. Lanny Doan, no doubt, is on the faculty
of a high school listed as a teacher, yet he doesn't know english!

I don't understand. What's wrong with what he said?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 12th 04, 07:29 AM
Robert Chung

TritonRider wrote:
I'd bet the opposing coach filed a
protest of the Livestrong bracelets as jewelery,

You're saying that Brian has taken up high-school coaching?

--
The VP debate: http://www.strike9.com/8FE325B14A/vpdebate.jpg

Old October 12th 04, 03:23 PM
Clovis Lark

wrote:

chris wrote:

"It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard," said Lanny Doan, one of the
high school coaches. "We're talking about a rubber band. It's not
going to harm anyone."

And there you have it, friends. Lanny Doan, no doubt, is on the faculty
of a high school listed as a teacher, yet he doesn't know english!

I don't understand. What's wrong with what he said?

"Stupidest" should be "most stupid". You can't find his word in any
dictionary I know of. He IS a teacher and should be held accountable.
SHould his proteges make it to the pros, his example will make them better
responders in postgame interviews. (Of course, though this is true, I'm
being sarcastic)

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Old October 12th 04, 03:35 PM
Robert Chung

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stupidest

--
Keeping America scared: http://home.earthlink.net/~houval/gopconstrm.mov

Old October 12th 04, 04:14 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:23:09 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
wrote:

"Stupidest" should be "most stupid". You can't find his word in any
dictionary I know of. He IS a teacher and should be held accountable.

I wonder if he would know enough to spell English with a capital. The
fact is that people often do not speak in complete sentences with the
most effective grammar and impeccable choices of words.

Frankly, I could care less.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...