Rear Hub width

Old November 12th 16, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Rear Hub width

I am in the process of making a couple of wheel truing stands. I
believe that all front hubs are the same width and that rear hubs vary
with 135mm the widest that I am aware of. I believe that the 10 and 11
speed road hubs are the normal road bike rear hub width of 130mm.

Are there any common hub widths wider than 135mm? And what is the
outside diameter of a 29" wheel rim?
Old November 12th 16, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/12/2016 7:05 AM, John B Slocomb wrote:

I am in the process of making a couple of wheel truing stands. I
believe that all front hubs are the same width and that rear hubs vary
with 135mm the widest that I am aware of. I believe that the 10 and 11
speed road hubs are the normal road bike rear hub width of 130mm.

Are there any common hub widths wider than 135mm? And what is the
outside diameter of a 29" wheel rim?

'29' is the new term for 700Cxfat tire. Rim OD about 634mm
but significantly larger with a 700x54 tire on it!

You're right about the most popular formats. Classic British
steel front hubs are 95mm, tandem rears 140mm & 160mm. There
are more now and if you want to plan for the future all bets
are off.

We own some nicely made very old fixtures for which we
bought offset and taller extenders:
http://www.parktool.com/product/upri...tors-ts-2ext-2

Cheap too-we could not fabricate them for the asking price.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 12th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 7:05:35 AM UTC-6, John B Slocomb wrote:
I am in the process of making a couple of wheel truing stands. I
believe that all front hubs are the same width and that rear hubs vary
with 135mm the widest that I am aware of. I believe that the 10 and 11
speed road hubs are the normal road bike rear hub width of 130mm.

Are there any common hub widths wider than 135mm? And what is the
outside diameter of a 29" wheel rim?

Fat tire rear hubs are 170mm.
https://fat-bike.com/2013/03/fat-bike-101-frame-types/

Large bikes have 36 in wheels.
https://dirtysixer.com/

Folding bicycles go down to 12 inches. Children bikes might be smaller.
Old November 12th 16, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 1:27:26 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

'29' is the new term for 700Cxfat tire. Rim OD about 634mm
but significantly larger with a 700x54 tire on it!

With a 622x60, a pretty common tyre these days, on an optimum-width rim (40% of tyre width), the outside diameter of the mounted tyre is 742mm (calculated) or 745mm (stated by one manufacturer), both of which is over 29 inches, or over 29in (measured as 29 inches and some small but noticeable fraction like perhaps an eighth of an inch or even 3/16in). Best tool is a dressmaker's hemming measure.

Rims and tyres for 36in diameter bicycle wheels are also available.

Andre Jute
No spurious precision here
Old November 13th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

UREKA

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-9940-S-S...19%2F32+wrench

Old November 13th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?

36.....I am prepared...
Old November 13th 16, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 2:10:16 AM UTC, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?

Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer instead of to learn.

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for rude idiots

Old November 13th 16, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dennis Davis[_2_]

In article ,
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 2:10:16 AM UTC, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?

Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of
something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer
instead of to learn.

Judging by the garbled responses, "DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" is more
likely to be a failed undergraduate artificial intelligence project
that has been left running by mistake. Needless to say, it's in my
killfile.
--
Dennis Davis
Old November 13th 16, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Adiios ....

I searched 36 inch tires n tried Universal Cycles at downtown Rumpville n saw none...over at the NBA ?

Cipperman ?
Old November 13th 16, 11:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:28:08 +0000 (UTC), Dennis Davis
wrote:

In article ,
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 2:10:16 AM UTC, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
where 36 inch tires....tiring yourself into a corner ?

Another mindless clown whose first response when he hears of
something not seen before on his street corner is to sneer and jeer
instead of to learn.

Judging by the garbled responses, "DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" is more
likely to be a failed undergraduate artificial intelligence project
that has been left running by mistake. Needless to say, it's in my
killfile.

As I wrote some time ago, I've had Jute kill filed for some time and
have yet to miss him :-)