KH moment '07 crank pedal inserts

Old June 20th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Dosestrallas12

Default KH moment '07 crank pedal inserts

my brother used to have problem with his koxx crank, with that steel
insert.

we just take it apart from the crank and put red loctite on. Then we
tighten it all in crank and leave it dry for 24 hours. It worked for
us, but maybe other techniq work.

--
Dosestrallas12
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UAC

Hey,

Indeed, the thread direction of the insert (which holds the pedal) is
the same as that of corresponding pedal for the obvious reason of
tightening while forward riding...however when I was about to remove to
inserts, my main question was: what's the thread direction of the
lock-nut...

I tended to believe it is the same as on the insert. My imaginary model
of the insert was similar to a cylinder with one thread on the outer
side (in contact with the crank) and one on the inner side (in contact
with the pedal), both threads having the same direction (as the pedal).
I addition to this I was told by a friend who works in a bike shop of a
similar thinking...but

Looking closer to the inserts and the lock-nuts one can see some small
indent marks left by the pin-wrench tool that was used in the factory
for tightening. So, I was able to guess (contrary to what I though
before...) the real direction of the _lock-nut_ thread - it
_is_reverse_threaded_compared_to_the_corresponding _pedal_...and yeah,
the insert has 2 thread tappings on its outer side (one for connection
to the crank arm and another, smaller and reverse, for the lock-nut!!!

You still have to fit the pin-tool carefully in the holes and prepare
to apply a good amount of force as the thing was tightened hard in the
factory and has some sort of red Loctite (?) too...

Get all parts out, clean everything very good (including the crank arm
mother thread), put lots of Loctite (I used 243, medium strength, as
don't have anything else...), re-install (tighten hard the inserts and
moderate the lock-nuts), leave overnight and then install pedals...

Note: To be able to verify easier if the inserts are steady now, I
drawn a line over the insert lock-nut and the crank arm (like a longer
diameter line, on the inner side of the crank arm). In this way you can
see if the insert is holding well or not. mine are perfect now!

Hope this helps,
Flaviu

--
UAC

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"
(Saint Augustine)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
manicpanicmuni

ya cheers everyone, this topic helped me too. i had problems with my k1
cranks.

--
manicpanicmuni
http://www.usenet.com