Injured

Old August 29th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Default Injured

Well, I can no longer say I've ridden for 20 years and never got hurt
despite lots of falls. On the weekend I tried to gap onto a steep
slope above a drop, lost control, and piled up below the drop tangled
in my uni. If I hadn't got tangled, it probably would have been OK.

But the result is a completely torn ACL, and a tear through the
posterior horn of the medial meniscus.

This sucks!

Kris

--
danger_uni
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Sounds really painful. I think. Hope you get better soon.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
NKahler

Whats an ACL? That sounds pretty bad

And you've never gotten hurt before, or just never gotten hurt really
bad?

--
NKahler

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

It's not actually that painful. More painful is the knowledge that
this requires surgery and quite a few months of rehab. =(

Kris

--
danger_uni
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
NKahler

danger_uni wrote:
It's not actually that painful. More painful is the knowledge that
this requires surgery and quite a few months of rehab. =(

Kris

Oh, that sucks...

--
NKahler

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

noooo! I thought you were invincible

as with all uni injury sufferers, I hope you recover fast and fully

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
amanda.gallacher

ouch. thats bad. i wish you a speedy recovery and hope it doesnt stop
your geology too much though it probably will. will you need surgery to
repair it? my mum said something about they use part of the hamstring
tendon to replace the ACL because they have the same properties. keep
us updated

edit: just saw your post saying it needs surgery. a family friend of
mine that plays hockey tore her ACl and she has been told she cannot
play competitively for a year.

--
amanda.gallacher

--sorry für mein beschissenes deutsch--
'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.uk.com)
'kris holm' (http://www.krisholm.com)

Smilymarco wrote:
its just too small

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

thejdw wrote:
noooo! I thought you were invincible

so did i... then he got hurt.
how long will you not be riding?

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

danger_uni wrote:
Well, I can no longer say I've ridden for 20 years and never got hurt
despite lots of falls. On the weekend I tried to gap onto a steep
slope above a drop, lost control, and piled up below the drop tangled
in my uni. If I hadn't got tangled, it probably would have been OK.

But the result is a completely torn ACL, and a tear through the
posterior horn of the medial meniscus.

This sucks!

Kris

Dang, that's a tough break. I suppose it was inevitable; your ability
to fall gracefully is legendary, but at some point the law of averages
(and the aging of joints) has to catch up to us. Was there a lot of
pain when it happened?

What kind of prognosis are they giving you? ACL and meniscus both take
a while; 3-6 months before resuming activity, 9-12 months before full
function, something like that?

I suppose that'll give you time to train for Ride the Lobster; big
wheel riding is probably one of the easier things to do with a blown
ACL.

I'll miss riding with you at CMW; hopefully you can be back on one
wheel in time for Moab next year.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 29th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

I'm sure I speak for all and say Get Well!

If it's all snowy on the North Shore when you get recovered you can
make plans to take a riding vacation in California to get your muni fix
back.

Did the accident happen on the North Shore trails? Were you able to
get back without calling rescue?

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com

Injured gagtape Unicycling 51 August 3rd 07 03:09 PM
who else is injured and out of unicycling right now? mcnuggets300 Unicycling 2 May 21st 07 01:56 AM
Injured while unicycling SNES350 Unicycling 5 May 11th 07 12:11 PM
injured in war [email protected] General 24 December 12th 06 08:37 PM