Video commute.

Old May 23rd 11, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Video commute.

Here is a video commute taken with a pair of 12MP 720P video sunglasses.
Includes pavement parking down our lane, riding at 20mph past three schools,
only for a boy racer to hurtle past, then some good examples of on road
cycle lanes, which then morph into a bus lane which takes me into Hull city
centre.

Then after nearly hitting a white van, I then ride down a 20mph zone which
is policed by humps and easily catch up a car in the distance. Then it's
onto a 4 mile long off road ex-rail track and then I emerge onto the worst
surfaced road in the city caused by HGVs. Then on the final approach to
work, I max out at 34mph.

Should download in about 4 mins with 4MBs broadband.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/Commute.wmv

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 23rd 11, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 23 May 2011 12:33:09 +0100
"Simon Mason" wrote:

Here is a video commute taken with a pair of 12MP 720P video
sunglasses.

You need to get some foam on the microphone.
How does it look with lower res and higher frame rate?

Old May 23rd 11, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

And you need to learn your Highway Code.
165
You MUST NOT overtake

a.. if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a
solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 129)
b.. if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic,
if it is surrounded by a solid white line
c.. the nearest vehicle to a pedestrian crossing, especially when it
has stopped to let pedestrians cross
d.. if you would have to enter a lane reserved for buses, trams or
cycles during its hours of operation
e.. after a 'No Overtaking' sign and until you pass a sign
cancelling the restriction
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36, TSRGD regs 10, 22, 23 & 24, ZPPPCRGD reg 24]

Old May 23rd 11, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:02:12 +0100
"Ian" wrote:

And you need to learn your Highway Code.
165
You MUST NOT overtake

a.. if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with
a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 129)
b.. if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic,
if it is surrounded by a solid white line
c.. the nearest vehicle to a pedestrian crossing, especially when
it has stopped to let pedestrians cross
d.. if you would have to enter a lane reserved for buses, trams or
cycles during its hours of operation
e.. after a 'No Overtaking' sign and until you pass a sign
cancelling the restriction
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36, TSRGD regs 10, 22, 23 & 24, ZPPPCRGD reg 24]

Does the bit about cycle lanes not give you a clue that these are rules
for motor vehicles? And the fact that ASLs are specifically designed
to allow cyclists to overtake the front vehicle at light controlled
junctions, many of which include pedestrian crossings?

Old May 23rd 11, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote:

Here is a video commute taken with a pair of 12MP 720P video
sunglasses.

You need to get some foam on the microphone.

I was going to edit the sound out but figured viewers could just turn the
sound off

How does it look with lower res and higher frame rate?

I don't think you can adjust those settings. It's simply turn on and ride,
there are no user settings.

Old May 23rd 11, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Ian" wrote in message
om...

And you need to learn your Highway Code.
165

Any comments on the driver speeding past the schools at 20mph, or the van
driver not checking before pulling out?

Old May 23rd 11, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian

"Ian" wrote:

[...]

No.
The bit of the HC that says "ALL USERS" does, though.

And the fact that ASLs are specifically designed
to allow cyclists to overtake the front vehicle at light controlled
junctions, many of which include pedestrian crossings?

No. ASLs are not relevant at the point at which the law was being
flouted.

Old May 23rd 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

"Simon Mason" wrote:

Here is a video commute taken with a pair of 12MP 720P video
sunglasses.

You need to get some foam on the microphone.

I was going to edit the sound out but figured viewers could just turn
the sound off

I assumed there might be something worth listening to, which was why
you'd left the sound in.

How does it look with lower res and higher frame rate?

I don't think you can adjust those settings. It's simply turn on and
ride, there are no user settings.

No config app and mini-USB lead? I'm slightly surprised at that.

Old May 23rd 11, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Ian" wrote in message

No. ASLs are not relevant at the point at which the law was being flouted.

Any comments on the taxi driver jumping a red light at 5:47?

Old May 23rd 11, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

"Ian" wrote:

[...]

Oh look, here's the relevant legislation:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/24/made
//
Prohibition against vehicles overtaking at crossings

24.—(1) Whilst any motor vehicle (in this regulation called “the
approaching vehicle”) or any part of it is within the limits of a
controlled area and is proceeding towards the crossing, the driver of
the vehicle shall not cause it or any part of it—

(a)to pass ahead of the foremost part of any other motor vehicle
proceeding in the same direction; or

(b)to pass ahead of the foremost part of a vehicle which is stationary
for the purpose of complying with regulation 23, 25 or 26.
//
See the bit where it says MOTOR vehicles?