Magura braking force

Old August 24th 05, 07:09 PM
Andrew Price

Default Magura braking force

I recently replaced my cantilever brakes with Magura hydraulic brakes.
The brakes apply well, i.e., they can be modulated more easily than
the old "v-brakes" they replaced, but I get the impression that more
effort needs to be applied to the brake levers to achieve the same
result.

Is this normal, or have I missed something in the set-up - the pads
seem to be parallel to the rims and applying evenly. Many thanks in
advance for any advice - or just the confirmation that this is
perfectly normal!
Old August 25th 05, 03:47 AM
S R Sharp

Andrew Price wrote:
I recently replaced my cantilever brakes with Magura hydraulic brakes.
The brakes apply well, i.e., they can be modulated more easily than
the old "v-brakes" they replaced, but I get the impression that more
effort needs to be applied to the brake levers to achieve the same
result.

Is this normal, or have I missed something in the set-up - the pads
seem to be parallel to the rims and applying evenly. Many thanks in
advance for any advice - or just the confirmation that this is
perfectly normal!

That has been my experience with them too, but I am undecided if that is
psychological or not. You get used to it, and the better modulation
outweighs any disadvantages. When your OEM pads wear out, buy the
salmon pads.

Old August 25th 05, 07:56 PM
Andrew Price

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:47:38 -0400, S R Sharp
wrote:

That has been my experience with them too, but I am undecided if that is
psychological or not. You get used to it, and the better modulation
outweighs any disadvantages.

Thanks.

When your OEM pads wear out, buy the
salmon pads.

Do they have better braking characteristics than the grey/black pads?
Old August 28th 05, 02:42 PM
S R Sharp

Andrew Price wrote:

When your OEM pads wear out, buy the
salmon pads.

Do they have better braking characteristics than the grey/black pads?

They seem to wear a lot better, but I didn't ride every day last winter
like I did the previous year with the black pads.