ahead fork 1" - 1 1/8" ?

Old August 27th 05, 06:08 PM
geos

Default ahead fork 1" - 1 1/8" ?

Hi,

is it possible to use ahead type fork 1" with the frame for 1 1/8" forks
with the help of additional tubes or something like that? are such
additional tubes/devices, which serve to reduce fork tube diameter,
produced? if so, are they independant of headset type or not?

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion if this is doable and
for links where I could see how it looks like. I would like to use such
thing with Cane Creek IS-6 integrated headset (41mm) so any opinion
regarding this particular type of headset will be valuable as well.

thsnks,
geos
Old August 27th 05, 09:01 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:08:59 +0200, geos wrote:

is it possible to use ahead type fork 1" with the frame for 1 1/8" forks
with the help of additional tubes or something like that? are such
additional tubes/devices, which serve to reduce fork tube diameter,
produced? if so, are they independant of headset type or not?

There are some spacers around that you can put in the 1 1/8 headtube of
the frame that allow you to use a standard 1" headset, yes.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion if this is doable and
for links where I could see how it looks like. I would like to use such
thing with Cane Creek IS-6 integrated headset (41mm) so any opinion
regarding this particular type of headset will be valuable as well.

That could be a problem. Integrated headsets have special machined
surfaces on the headtube that they directly rest on, rather than the
standard pressfit. If you have a headtube designed for a Cane Creek
integrated headset, the spacers probably won't fit in it. Conversely,
since the spacers reduce the headtube to a standard 1" pressfit (Mind
whether ISO or JIS, though), you can't use a 1"integrated headset with
those spacers. I'm not entirely sure which scenario is what you're
intending, but either way it's a problem. If it's the latter scenario,
though, just buy a standard non-integrated aheadset instead of the Cane
Creek.

Jasper
Old August 27th 05, 11:17 PM
geos

Jasper Janssen wrote:
That could be a problem. Integrated headsets have special machined
surfaces on the headtube that they directly rest on, rather than the
standard pressfit. If you have a headtube designed for a Cane Creek
integrated headset, the spacers probably won't fit in it. Conversely,
since the spacers reduce the headtube to a standard 1" pressfit (Mind
whether ISO or JIS, though), you can't use a 1"integrated headset with
those spacers. I'm not entirely sure which scenario is what you're
intending, but either way it's a problem. If it's the latter scenario,
though, just buy a standard non-integrated aheadset instead of the Cane
Creek.

thanks Jasper. unfortunately, this seems to be a problem -- no other
headset than IS-6 (and similar in type) fits my frame.. I enclose the
link to IS-6. there is a sort of its section, might be useful for others
when giving some hints, if any

http://www.canecreek.com/52.html

thanks Jasper, cheers,
geos
Old August 27th 05, 11:48 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:17:00 +0200, geos wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:
[...]

If you've got a frame with a headtube machined for the IS standard, then I
don't think it'll be possible to mount a fork with an undersized steerer
in it, unless there are IS-specific converter spacers, which I doubt.

Integrated headsets step away from the accepted standards for very little
reason -- mainly some time and thus cost saving in the assembly of the
bike. The cost to the consumer will be a vastly shorter frame life even if
the headsets continue to be available new or NOS. There're too many
different non-standards for them, as well.

I'm not entirely sure what the "semi-integrated" or "internal" Zero-Stack
and King's Perdido standard bring to the table (besides looks), and I'm
completely baffled why King went to 44.5 instead of 44.0. The difference
is small enough that I can't really imagine a structural need for it.

Jasper