Bicyclists In The News. Again

Old March 28th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bicyclists In The News. Again

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA9I1CMJHI.DTL
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 29th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA9I1CMJHI.DTL

That wasn't what I was expecting...

--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
-Mark Twain
Old March 29th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 28, 3:33*pm, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3/28/BA9I1CMJH....
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The finally got Jim Beam?
Old March 29th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA9I1CMJHI.DTL

That wasn't what I was expecting...

The hatchet was an interesting twist.

Mark J.
Old March 29th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 28, 3:33*pm, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3/28/BA9I1CMJH....
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Dear Andrew,

Speaking of insane bicyclists in the news . . .

SHOT BY AN OFFICER.

A Philadelphian Killed While Attempting to Burglarize a Cycle Store.

Two hours after being shot by Officer Boileau on Thursday morning of
last week, William H. Brooks, of 1523 Montrose street, the burglar who
was detected while in the act of breaking a window in Hart's bicycle
store, 811 Arch street, this city, died from the effects of his wound,
without ever regaining consciousness.

Everything that Jefferson Hospital's skilled surgeons could do to ward
off the fatal termination was done without avail. The bullet had
penetrated the skull and shattered the
delicate nerve fibres near the base of the brain.

THE OFFICER'S VERSION.

At the station house the officer gave this version of the shooting. He
said: "About 1 o'clock the private watchman on the street noticed a
man pick up two bricks and lay them on a box near Hart's store. I
quietly watched the man and a minute later saw him take up one of the
bricks and deliberately throw it through the plate glass window."

"I ran to the spot, and as I came up the man turned and attempted to
throw the other brick at my head. I drew my revolver and pointed it at
him and commanded him to halt. Hardly was the weapon raised when the
pistol exploded. I did not intend to fire and the shooting was wholly
accidental."

The weapon used was a 32-calibre Smith & Wesson revolver, of the self-
cocking pattern.

Officer Boileau has one of the best records of any officer in this
city. He has been on the
force for over 14 years.

A SAD CASE

William Brooks, the aged father of young Brooks, lives a 918 Wood
street. He is a confirmed invalid, having never fully recovered from a
stroke of paralysis that he suffered over a year ago. He said last
night that his unfortunate son was not responsible for his acts, he
having never been sound, mentally, since he was attacked with
paralysis of the eye. Young Brooks, when able to do so, contributed to
his father's support. Mr. Brooks said that he was old and poor, and
could do nothing but let matters take their own course.

INSANE ON BICYCLES

To this story the brother added: "As to his actions last night, they
were simply those of an insane man. Some time ago he began putting
money into one of the get-rich-quick societies,
intending to buy a bicycle. The society went under and the loss preyed
upon his mind. I do not think the officer was justified in shooting
him, for he was perfectly harmless. He was insane on bicycles."

On the other hand, the police claim that Brooks was an old offender
and that he was arrested for till tapping on February 6, and when
searched brushes were found on him that had been stolen from the
Clinton Brush Company. Brooks at the time was tried and convicted, but
was allowed to go free under a suspension of sentence.

THE CORONER'S VERDICT.

Exonerated Boileau, the evidence given showing that he shot Brooks
accidentally after having drawn his revolver for the purpose of self-
defence he having been threatened by Boileau with the brick. It is an
unfortunate case, but the officer cannot be blamed.

Hart's store had been robbed about two weeks before, and the watchman
and police were keeping a sharp lookout.

--Sporting Life, March 19, 1892
http://la84foundation.org/SportsLibr.../SL1825008.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel