New to biking - HELP

Old November 7th 03, 03:37 AM
wwest

Default New to biking - HELP

I'm a regular newsgroup reader in another field (professional musicians and
music educators), so I thought I'd drop in for some advice here - thanks in
advance for any help you can steer my way. I'm relatively new to biking,
but I enjoy it and am wanting to incorporate biking into a daily exercise
regimen. Lots of greenways and bike paths in my area, which is the majority
of biking I see myself doing. Although there are also a lot of trails, I
don't see a lot of that type of riding in the near future, but possibly in a
few months. I want to spend no more than $600 on a good all-around hybrid
comfort bike, which is what I think I need. Having visited a few bike
shops, I've looked at the Giant Sedona Series (I like the LX model), the
Specialized Expedition, the Trek Navigator Series, and the Raleigh SC40. Of
these choices (I want to buy locally), which is the best choice? I'm 42,
overweight but losing steadily, and have an hour or so a day to ride. If I
sound inexperienced, it's because I am! Thanks again for your valued
opinions.

Old November 7th 03, 05:28 AM
Dan Daniel

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:37:13 GMT, "wwest" wrote:

[...]

Hopefully others will have comments on the specific models that you
mention. A couple of sites that might help-

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

Sometimes it can be helpful to look at reviews of specific components
on bikes, not just the whole bike.

Rather than shopping for specific models, think about shopping for a
bike shop. Up to a certain point, most $xxx bikes will be pretty
similar. But most bike shops are not. Find the shop that listens,
helps you refine your choice, and seems willing to work with you over
the next year or more as you get into biking, maybe change parts,
upgrade, etc. Will you be comfortable walking back in after you have
bought a bike at a particular shop? Do you want to talk to them ever
again?

This article might help- it's geared to road bikes, but the general
issues and attitude are the same for hybrids, etc.

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com...etestrides.htm

Oh, if you have no plans for serious dirt riding, make certain to get
tires with smooth or minimal treads. Those mountain bike knobbed tires
are energy sinkholes on smooth surfaces.

Two other useful websites:

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/#articles

Old November 7th 03, 12:22 PM
wwest

Thanks, Dan. The info you provided was of great interest and the bike shop
advice certainly helps in making a decision! Thanks for taking time to
answer.

Old November 7th 03, 12:39 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

All the bikes you listed are good bikes from respected, stable
manufacturers, so just pick the one you like best, which fits best,
and which fits your budget.

You will likely find little difference in "quality" measured by any
objective standard, so use the subjective standards: which LBS treats
you the best, and which bike fits you best.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old November 7th 03, 03:06 PM
Pbwalther

You will likely find little difference in "quality" measured by any
objective standard, so use the subjective standards: which LBS treats
you the best, and which bike fits you best.

Dave Kerber

There is a reason for Dave saying this. People think that bicycle makers make
everything. But what they make is the frame. Nearly all of them buy the major
components from Shimano and at the same price points, they all pretty much have
the same kind of Shimano stuff (shimano makes a bunch of stuff in varying
grades). I don't think Shimano makes handlebars or rims but the same principle
applies - they get those from a manufacturer and there are not that many
manufacturers for most things.
Old November 8th 03, 03:23 AM
Craig Holl

wwest wrote:
[...]

I just got into biking a couple years ago. I bought a Trek Navigator 300, ($400)
and have put 1500 miles on it in two seasons. I haven't regretted buying that
bike once. I love the smooth tires with the knobs on the outside. Gives little
rolling resistance on road, but on gravel/limestone trails, it is very steady. I
like the upright riding position. I ride mainly on streets, but there are a
couple recreation trails around here. I try to do 1-1.5 hour rides a couple
evenings a week, and a 2-3 hour ride on the weekend. I occasionally bike 6 miles
to work. I've also done a 50 mile ride on the Elroy-Sparta Trail, and 36 miles up
Logan Pass in Glacier NP. (my great cycling achievement to date) The bike is
very versatile and rugged, and comfortable.

Others have given good advice on finding a good LBS and buying the bike that fits
you right. (Make sure you test ride!) I agree with all that, but I had to give
my Trek a thumbs up. Plus they're based in Wisconsin, so you can't go wrong.

It seems as though you're getting into biking at least partially to lose
weight/get fit. It has worked well for me. I dropped about 10 pounds my first
summer, and it has allowed me to eat poorly this summer and still maintain my
weight. The thing I like about biking as exercise is that it isn't boring. I
also love exploring, which you can do well on a bike. I'm working on a goal to
ride on every road in 37 sq. mile New Berlin.

Happy shopping, and enjoy the sport!

Craig Holl - New Berlin, WI
http://www.midwestroads.com/craigholl/bike/index.html

Old November 8th 03, 02:58 PM
wwest

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to post your information -
newsgroups have again proven to be a great resource brimming with positive,
friendly and helpful feedback from the experienced.

Old November 10th 03, 02:54 AM
Frank & Joni Knox

"wwest" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Unfortunately bicycles too frequently end up like home exercise machines.
At least some of the machines are useful to hang wet laundry on after a year
or more of non-use.
My point is that if you are not having fun you won't keep cycling. If your
bike isn't comfortable during your longest rides you won't want to do long
rides often.

What may seem like a good bike as a beginner may not seem so when you have
more experience. I hope you find something you will still look forward to
riding in a year or two.

Here are a couple of links to sites with useful articles:
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

Old November 10th 03, 06:41 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:54:17 GMT, "Frank & Joni Knox"
wrote:
Unfortunately bicycles too frequently end up like home exercise machines.
At least some of the machines are useful to hang wet laundry on after a year
or more of non-use.

Actually, the Gazelle is useful for hanging wet laundry much sooner.
After arguing over how to pronounce it (hard or soft "g"), and me
pointing out that it's yet another silly "As-Seen-On-tv" item that
will never get used, she bought it anyway.

It's really fast at drying clothes, even more so than a drying rack.
--
Rick Onanian