Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old November 29th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Centerstand? (was: Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?)

On Nov 28, 11:32 am, Chalo wrote:
T∅m Sherm∀n wrote:

Wonder why touring bicycles do not come equipped with centerstands?

I can appreciate the convenience of a good kickstand, especially for a
utility bike. For long hauls, though, I consider it sort of
extraneous.

Because there are more people likely to be turned off by the added
cost, weight, or mere presence of a stand than there are who consider
it to be a worthy feature?

This is America, T∅m. Automatic transmissions, "warm white" (non-
white) CFLs, and department store HAUTL* bikes prevail in the
marketplace, regardless of virtue or lack thereof. Many of us are
able to develop, for lack of a better word, "refined" tastes without
any corresponding improvement in overall judgment. Thus we have bike
enthusiasts who reflexively avoid useful items like kickstands,
fenders, reflectors and spoke protectors that could save them a passel
of hassle.

I totally appreciate full fenders. Relfectors, too - though
sparingly.

I don't run a pie plate, but practically never use the inner sprocket,
either.

* Hideous Abomination Unto The Lord. Acronym to be used freely with
or without attribution.

(At least those almost always come with kickstands.)
Old December 1st 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Nov 28, 9:14Â*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:32 am, Chalo wrote:

T∅m Sherm∀n wrote:

Wonder why touring bicycles do not come equipped with centerstands?

I can appreciate the convenience of a good kickstand, especially for a
utility bike. Â*For long hauls, though, I consider it sort of
extraneous.

Because there are more people likely to be turned off by the added
cost, weight, or mere presence of a stand than there are who consider
it to be a worthy feature?

This is America, T∅m. Â*Automatic transmissions, "warm white" (non-
white) CFLs, and department store HAUTL* bikes prevail in the
marketplace, regardless of virtue or lack thereof. Â*Many of us are
able to develop, for lack of a better word, "refined" tastes without
any corresponding improvement in overall judgment. Â*Thus we have bike
enthusiasts who reflexively avoid useful items like kickstands,
fenders, reflectors and spoke protectors that could save them a passel
of hassle.

I totally appreciate full fenders. Â*Relfectors, too - though
sparingly.

I don't run a pie plate, but practically never use the inner sprocket,
either.

* Hideous Abomination Unto The Lord. Â*Acronym to be used freely with
or without attribution.

(At least those almost always come with kickstands.)

YEAH YEAH YEAH. My trekker Monodog has a pie plate and Dejavu chain
thumb at the CR's. Like why not ? who needs a deranhged deray 27
miles outta Fleecers Ridge ? BUTBUTBUT When buying at the upscale
roadmiesters store adjacent MicroWorld, I noticed a distinct lip curl
on the sales rep when asking for one.
Old December 1st 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 30, 4:23 pm, kolldata wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:14 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Nov 28, 11:32 am, Chalo wrote:

T∅m Sherm∀n wrote:

[...]

I have had to replace nine outside spokes due to chain damage (I got
the wheel already like that), so I am a pie plate proponent (why
not). But I forgot to re-install mine one time, don't need it since I
never shift up there anyway. (I don't like to think I'm particularly
vain or proud, but somehow the wheel *does* look decidedly more
businesslike without it - sorry.)

Old December 1st 11, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m Sherm@n

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame? ... no kickstand???

On 11/19/2011 10:03 AM, kolldata wrote:
KNOW the ski poles used by some hikers ? picture one either side of
the seat post, on pivots. then telescopes down at two angles either
side, supporting load from the top not bottom.

This bicycle has a two-legged stand:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html.

"Gr...Gr...Granville, fetch my cloth."

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 24th 13, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

i broke, at the bb, a long hault turcker, and becasue i had put some stickers on the bike and had spray painted about a two inch section, surly denied my warranty request!!! i had extensive correspondence with steve falgg that i would be happy to forward to anyone...

in short surly doesnt give a damn about you. period. the sell huge volume. they dont care about ****ing anyone off. there bikes are ok; and some break. but they dont care.

i have since ourchased a soma saga and it is a better bike in the same price range; and by FAR the better bike in the same price range is the Velo Orange Campeur.

best,
mike

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:47:06 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for a Surly Long Haul

Trucker frame.

*BUT*

The Surly website says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*

on the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not

designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a

chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/

seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for

$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime

limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited

warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring

frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel

BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short

warranty period from Surly for the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped

a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period

will be immensely appreciated by me.

Cheers from Peter

Old January 25th 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

sue ! see NOLO online. Surly does sell enough to warranty.

the Velo is like the soon 30 year ol Raliegh I ride. worthless on a dirt road. get a cyclocrosser. The Velo has bar end shifters. ??? with Ballburn mirrors no doubtoe ? great touring. grate.

I should call Rollo.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...lete-bike.html

the LHT is ewebickwitous across the west. Every **** stop a LHT would show up asking for a photo op. completely nutto. one I spoke with stallled in the early sporing snow Montana. I assume some are ridden into hell.
Old January 25th 13, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:45:49 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
sue ! see NOLO online. Surly does sell enough to warranty.

the Velo is like the soon 30 year ol Raliegh I ride. worthless on a dirt road. get a cyclocrosser. The Velo has bar end shifters. ??? with Ballburn mirrors no doubtoe ? great touring. grate.

I should call Rollo.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...lete-bike.html

the LHT is ewebickwitous across the west. Every **** stop a LHT would show up asking for a photo op. completely nutto. one I spoke with stallled in the early sporing snow Montana. I assume some are ridden into hell.

I passed on the Surly.

For less than $70.00 I had a good custom bike builder put brazeons onto a vintage Miele frame that has touring geometry. The brazeons were a pair of cantlever bosses on the rear seatstays, a cantilever cable stop bridge and a pair of rear rack mounts on the seatstays. He also added a pair of bottle mounts under the downtube. I spent another $50.00 for a new front fork with cantilever mounts and low rider rack mounts. This bike now does all that I need a touring bike to do and the rear chainsyay/seatstay mounted kickstand is worth its weight in gold.

Cheers
Old January 25th 13, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:03:09 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

ooooo

and what of the blistered paint on the ID ?