Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old January 29th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Centerstand?

On 1/28/2013 6:30 PM, datakoll wrote:
On Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:35:33 AM UTC-5, Phil W Lee wrote:
Sir Ridesalot considered Sun, 27 Jan 2013
03:56:22 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:
On Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:46:08 AM UTC-5, J. B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:38:20 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:01�pm, "
wrote:

I don't recall kickstands working too well. �The bike tends to tip over. �I make sure I lean the bike against a solid wall so it cannot tip over. �Or just lay it on the ground so it can't fallover. �Much better to be sure than take the risk of a bike falling over with a kickstand. �And for touring with loaded

panniers? �Kickstands definitely do not work for that.
�Might as well get of your bike and intentionally throw it
on the ground as hard as you can. �Same effect as using a
kickstand.

I agree about typical kickstands. There may be designs that works
well, but not the usual ones.
Blackburn used to sell a little stepped plastic block that one could
jam into a front brake lever to lock that brake. I use a variation on
that design on every bike I own, and have done so since long before
Blackburn started selling them. It makes the bike much more stable
when leaned against a wall, etc. - much more stable than a typical
kickstand.

A rubber band "parking brake" :-)

Or an old or new toe-strap. Or a short strap with velcro fastening at the ends.

My front brake lever has a button that you press to keep it engaged.

button ? comes with a suicide knob ? whom's responsoble for this atrocity ?

Tricycles need a parking brake, so their brake levers have a
'lock' mode.

Another specialty function:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/a3bxkp6

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 29th 13, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

IMPOSSIBLE FOR jUNIOR TO FLIP OVER OR BE EATIN BY THE VOGONS DUE TO MECHANICAL LOCKING DEVICE FAILURE ?

no class action suit by the Schwartzenegar crew ?
Old August 28th 13, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jfritz69

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

If you enjoy building bike as I do, I would suggest you look into a vintage GT hybrid frame. I bought a 1991 57 CM GT Arrette bike off Craigslist for $40. Took off every component. had the frame painted at an autobody shop for $100. Then built the bike with all new components. The frame is IMHO better than any Surly has to offer. It has loads of bosses for racks fenders, etc. However no downtube shifter braze-ons. GT was way ahead of their time and these bike frames make for a really nice touring build. the BB is quite low and the Wheel base and chain stays are really long. Just a option I would like to offer.
I used Tiagra shift/drive group and Velo orange components for the build...including a Brooks B17.
Good Luck
Old August 28th 13, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 8/28/2013 10:57 AM, Jfritz69 wrote:
If you enjoy building bike as I do, I would suggest you look into a
vintage GT hybrid frame. I bought a 1991 57 CM GT Arrette bike off
Craigslist for $40. Took off every component. had the frame painted
at an autobody shop for $100. Then built the bike with all new
components. The frame is IMHO better than any Surly has to offer. It
has loads of bosses for racks fenders, etc. However no downtube
shifter braze-ons. GT was way ahead of their time and these bike
frames make for a really nice touring build. the BB is quite low and
the Wheel base and chain stays are really long. Just a option I would
like to offer. I used Tiagra shift/drive group and Velo orange
components for the build...including a Brooks B17. Good Luck

If you want to use DT shifters, look on eBay/craigslist for some old
Shimano DT shifters. I did something very similar to you but started
with an 80's Trek touring frame bought on Craigslist. It came with
Shimano 6-speed DT shifters with a strap around the downtube; the bosses
on there are standard and the 9-speed Shimano DT shifters that I bought
for it bolted right up with no mods.

nate
Old August 29th 13, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

loosescrews sells new friction lever shifters.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...ucker+for+sale
Old August 29th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:47:06 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for a Surly Long Haul

Trucker frame.

*BUT*

The Surly website says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*

on the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not

designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a

chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/

seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for

$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime

limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited

warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring

frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel

BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short

warranty period from Surly for the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped

a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period

will be immensely appreciated by me.

Cheers from Peter

Ah, I see this thread has been resurrected too.

I passed on the Surly LHT product and had True North Bicycles in Guelph (Ontario, Canada) braze on cantilever brake bosses, rear rack bosses, low rider bosses and a third bottle mount bossess under the downtube. The bike is at least as good as the Surly Long Haul Trucker and it fits me perfectly and has the non-compact frame that I prefer. Smetimes it's a lot simpler and less money just to upgrade a good quality steel frame tan it is to buy a new frame and build it up.

I got my work done jusy in time because now True north is so busy with his own custom builds that he doesn't do outside work any more.

Cheers
Old August 29th 13, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:07:04 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I got my work done just in time because now True North is so busy with his own custom bike/framebuilds that he doesn't do outside work any more.

Cheers

ADDENDUMN

I built up the bicycle with old school Shimano 600 EX brake levers* with a Original Style Mirrcycle mirror on each one. I also used the 9-speed Dura Ace bar end shifters I had an extra set of. Lots of touring done since the rebuild and I really enjoy the handling and the comfort of this bicycle.

Cheers

* External brake cable routing = non-aero
Old September 3rd 13, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

whaddya paint the tube ID with after brazing nblistered the coating in nthere ?
Old April 6th 16, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Surly is the most Arrogant bicycle dealer out there, don't like the color, they don't give a ****, email them for info, you might get a reply or a smartass answer. It does seem that the LHT is the favorite touring bike but I just can't deal with the Arrogance.
Old April 6th 16, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/6/2016 9:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

So, I note that this thread originated in 2011, so I'm sure that the OP
now has other things to think about. But from time to time someone
unearths one of these zombie threads.

What causes threads like this to be resurrected? Did "mrbill67z" come
across it in some other "aggregator" forum? Does he have a newsreader
that can't sort by date? Could he be scouring the internet for a chance
to denigrate Surly?

Just curious, really.

--
- Frank Krygowski