Comfy performance bikes

Old July 8th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zen Cohen

Default Comfy performance bikes

I like to ride fast but now that I'm in my 40's my body doesn't withstand
the road shocks as well. Are bikes like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot and
Cannondale Synapse really that more comfortable than road bikes with racing
configs? I rode a Roubaix around the LBS parking lot and it felt pretty good
but the only way to really know is on a longer road ride.

Comments appreciated.

Old July 8th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 8, 3:48 am, "Zen Cohen" wrote:
I like to ride fast but now that I'm in my 40's my body doesn't withstand
the road shocks as well. Are bikes like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot and
Cannondale Synapse really that more comfortable than road bikes with racing
configs? I rode a Roubaix around the LBS parking lot and it felt pretty good
but the only way to really know is on a longer road ride.

Comments appreciated.

Tires will make a bigger difference than any frame.

Joseph

Old July 8th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bernmart

Tires will make a bigger difference than any frame.

Joseph

Perhaps true, but frame geometry and design do matter. I test-rode
the Synapse and the Roubaix, and they both felt great compared to more
race-oriented bikes with similar tires. Bought the Roubaix, and my 68-
yr old bones have been happy ever since.

Old July 8th 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Grand Poobah

"Zen Cohen" wrote in message
I like to ride fast but now that I'm in my 40's my body doesn't withstand
the road shocks as well. Are bikes like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot and
Cannondale Synapse really that more comfortable than road bikes with racing
configs? I rode a Roubaix around the LBS parking lot and it felt pretty
good but the only way to really know is on a longer road ride.

Comments appreciated.

As Joseph has korrectly opined...think tires, not frame. I B 53 years since
birth, an' I B ridin' ~ 20 miles daily in nise weather. Ich weiss nicht,
what a ride around D LBS parking lot will tell U a/b comfort. I guess U
would want 2 run lower tire pressure, N also think saddle. Ich denke, D mos'
comfortable saddle B Brooks, but sUm riders kan't get used 2 a premium
leather saddle.

I'll keep thinkin' bekaus dat B watt I like 2 du!

....oder auf Deutsch:

Ich werde behalten, daran zu denken. Weil das ist, was ich machen mag!

Jay D Kraut (Bike Friday serious Bike Commuter in da beg citi witch B
Chicago, TRU!)

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/brooks.jpg

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bike1.jpg

Old July 8th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

Zen Cohen wrote:
I like to ride fast but now that I'm in my 40's my body doesn't withstand
the road shocks as well. Are bikes like Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot and
Cannondale Synapse really that more comfortable than road bikes with racing
configs? I rode a Roubaix around the LBS parking lot and it felt pretty good
but the only way to really know is on a longer road ride.

Comments appreciated.

RANS Zenetic:
http://www.ransbikes.com/07ZPRO.htm#

-no padded shorts required,
-hand pressure is much lower,
-neck strain is much lower.

Comfort? Yea, we've heard of it.....
~
Old July 8th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 04:38:27 -0500, DougC wrote:

http://www.ransbikes.com/07ZPRO.htm#

-no padded shorts required,

I don't wear padded shorts on my bike; I took it out for a fifty-odd mile
jaunt a bit ago and my lungs and legs hurt more than my perineum.

The main benefit of cycling shorts, I find, is the decreased chafing (from
repeated pedal strokes). The padding is an added bonus, but not strictly
*necessary* if your bike is nicely set-up: good saddle, good position,
and so forth.

For what it's worth, I ride an upright touring bike with drop bars; my
hands are mostly just behind the brake hoods.

-hand pressure is much lower,
-neck strain is much lower.

Comfort? Yea, we've heard of it.....
~

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 8th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
I don't wear padded shorts on my bike; I took it out for a fifty-odd mile
jaunt a bit ago and my lungs and legs hurt more than my perineum.

There's always people that say this....

The main benefit of cycling shorts, I find, is the decreased chafing (from
repeated pedal strokes). The padding is an added bonus, but not strictly
*necessary* if your bike is nicely set-up: good saddle, good position,
and so forth.

....in spite of the fact that most "cycling specific" shorts have the
padding. ....And most well-stocked bike shops (in the US anyway) will
sell them (as well as 20 or 30 different saddles).

-------

Saddle comfort is a major issue that a lot of riders have, and most bike
shops can't seem to solve it. If they could they'd only need to sell ONE
saddle, and they wouldn't bother sticking any padded shorts, because
nobody would ever want to buy them.

(synthetic shorts are still a good idea for the moisture-wicking benefit)
~

Old July 8th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:40:10 -0500, DougC wrote:

Saddle comfort is a major issue that a lot of riders have, and most bike
shops can't seem to solve it. If they could they'd only need to sell ONE
saddle, and they wouldn't bother sticking any padded shorts, because
nobody would ever want to buy them.

My ass isn't exactly the same as yours; why should my saddle be?

Or, less churlishly:

Human beings come in a number of shapes and sizes, from the tiny (my
babybro on his new bike) to the immense (the redoubtable Chalo Collina,
rec.bicycles.* regular). Surely you're not suggesting that the same
saddle fits *all* of these people?

Why, if what you're saying is true, I've been wasting my time all these
years buying shoes that fit my feet, gloves that fit my hands, hats that
fit my head...I should just be using all your stuff instead!

Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience. Sadly,
patience is the one thing that is in increasingly short supply in this day
and age.

-Luigi

Old July 9th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: Saddle comfort is a major issue and can be solved with patience.

You seem to have left out the part about $$$.

Performance Bikes catzz66 General 30 June 30th 07 05:20 AM
Performance Recumbent bikes [email protected] Techniques 0 March 1st 07 12:57 AM
Performance Recumbent Bikes are available now. [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 February 19th 07 01:08 AM
New Comfort Performance Bikes [email protected] Techniques 12 February 27th 05 02:03 PM
Do good value for performance bikes have to be American? Jo Stoller UK 23 June 15th 04 08:31 PM