Reputable e-trike supplier around Sydney?

Old October 19th 18, 01:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
news18

Default Reputable e-trike supplier around Sydney?

Ddoes any one know of any?

After a bit of webn searching, it seems there might be one in Sydney and
the next is in Canberra.

Just about all the trikes are cheap chinese made and no one actually has
any in stock, plus none of them are electrice. So atm it looks like
purchasea a trike unseen($1K-2K) and pruchase an electric conversion
($1.5K-$2.5K) and take a chance that they are compatible.

Old October 19th 18, 11:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:02:31 -0000 (UTC)
news18 wrote:
Ddoes any one know of any?

After a bit of webn searching, it seems there might be one in Sydney and
the next is in Canberra.

Just about all the trikes are cheap chinese made and no one actually has
any in stock, plus none of them are electrice. So atm it looks like
purchasea a trike unseen($1K-2K) and pruchase an electric conversion
($1.5K-$2.5K) and take a chance that they are compatible.

I bought a Greenspeed over the phone more or less from Greenspeed in
Melbourne.

I took it to Sydney Electric bikes for a conversion kit. Just after I
bought the kit the manufacturer Bionx went bust but so far the thing
is performing wonderfully.

It has a torque sensor so it reacts to my pedalling unlike the cheaper
ones which just provide power no matter how hard or gently you want to
go. SEB may still have some in stock who knows...

I bought the Greenspeed because I'd ridden several trikes but GS were
the only ones who made one small enough for me, the others would all
have had to be modified. The GT20 is also very adjustable. (Plus
fast and well handling and folds).

The guy at St Ives (who is I guess the one in Sydney) does do
conversions so he'll know what fits what.

There's a lot of trike variety so think about what you want. Folding?
Suspension? 26" rear wheel? Mesh seat? Hard seat with padding?

Where are you located? If in or nearish to any capital other than
Darwin or Adelide then there are people in the recumbents forum on
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/ who can probably help with test rides
of different trikes so you can get a feel. GS may do a try before you
buy deal, ring them and ask.

You can also ask on there about different trike types, you'll get
plenty of opinions about seats and suspension and wheel size.

If you mean upright trikes rather than recumbent ones, then you can spend
a few hundred on a Goumier which is a perfectly good trike and then get a
front hub kit for it. I have one in my garage (it belongs to my mother)
and it's fine. Simple job to fit it or you can get one already done
from Sydney Electric Bikes or pretty well any electric kit retailer like
Solar in Freo. If you want fancier then talk to Glow Worm in Sydney
who can sell you one of the Ezee ones. MOre expensive cos the bike's
better quality and the battery is fancier. The Ezee upright trike is
built as an item not as a bike + kit. (Others sell it but I know Glow
Worm and trust their customer service)

Depending on why you want a trike maybe a 3 wheeled cargo bike like
https://cargocycles.com.au/product/b...ic-cargo-bike/

Zebee
Old October 22nd 18, 03:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
news18

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 22:17:39 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Thank you for all the info.
At this point, for a first choice, I'll probably go the E-gomier choice
for a minimal first dip and once the purse string loosen look at
recumbents.

Depending on why you want a trike maybe a 3 wheeled cargo bike like
https://cargocycles.com.au/product/b...ic-cargo-bike/

I've always droolled from looking at that stuff. The commercial choices
are so many and varied now.

OTOH, there is always this;http://www.xyzcargo.com/

There are also downloadable plans for the their tadpole trike.
I've worked out how the steering for the cargo bike functions, now i'm
just trying to workout howe the tapole steers. Should examine those plans.

Old October 22nd 18, 11:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 22 Oct 2018 02:53:28 -0000 (UTC)
news18 wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 22:17:39 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Thank you for all the info.
At this point, for a first choice, I'll probably go the E-gomier choice
for a minimal first dip and once the purse string loosen look at
recumbents.

THings I found about the Gomier

Mum wanted a coaster brake like the one she had as a kid. Also her
hands aren't that strong so hand brakes not as good. However this
means that gearing is not very adjustable and her trike is geared very
low. Good for hills and someone who isn't in to going fast but ensure
the gearing on your trike matches your needs.

The pedal sensor on the generic front hub is just on/off. So you
pedal and it pushes, very hard to modulate speed. I learned how to
manage it fairly quickly (I rode it home) but she found it too hard
and I disconnected it.

The handling of an upright trike on Sydney's roads and paths can be a
bit interesting. You really notice the road camber and any ramps you
have to cross at an angle.

It is also a real pain in those tight S bend road crossing things they
have on the Cook's River path. Because the wheels are behind you it
takes a lot of practice to get cleanly through those 90 deg turns.

If you want speed and distance, then bite the bullet and get a 'bent.
There is really no comparison between the recumbent and the upright as
regards getting from place to place if they are more than a couple of
km apart. If you are just wanting something for a km or two in the
local area at gentle pace while easily carrying things then the Gomier
works well.

You can take the Gomier longer than that, I rode it from Dulwich Hill
light rail to Campsie and lived to tell the tale but it was a bit
scary on some of the downhills, really liked to follow the camber into
the curb and was hard to steer away from that. The low gearing
meant getting it to the 25kmh cutoff was quite hard work on the flat.

If you want to try one before buying and you are able to get to
Campsie I can give you a ride on hers. My email address is valid.

Zebee

Old October 25th 18, 04:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
news18

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:54:32 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

The handling of an upright trike on Sydney's roads and paths can be a
bit interesting. You really notice the road camber and any ramps you
have to cross at an angle.

It is any road. Camber is my overwhelming memory of a previous ride on an
upright trike about four decades ago. That and the continual question of
how to drag tail down a deeply rutted track.

It is also a real pain in those tight S bend road crossing things they
have on the Cook's River path. Because the wheels are behind you it
takes a lot of practice to get cleanly through those 90 deg turns.

We have a few here and when I drag the Jack-London/bobish trailer behind,
it is always a lift up the trailer as you walk the bicycle through them.

If you want speed and distance, then bite the bullet and get a 'bent.
There is really no comparison between the recumbent and the upright as
regards getting from place to place if they are more than a couple of km
apart. If you are just wanting something for a km or two in the local
area at gentle pace while easily carrying things then the Gomier works
well.

Initial plan is to get a basic trike to keep active and look at either
using my sloppy welding skills to build a basic bent, or when the
"overdraft" comes down again, buy one.

Looking through all the weird and wonderful contributions to youtube as
people show off their home constructions gives you some very good ideas
on the various frame ideas and options to add the fancy bits. It will be
the same as when I was trailer building, build one. Hmm, how to improve
in model2, then 3, etc.

The only "catch" is according to some views there, all those spare stuff
I've acculmulated over the decades is apparently now junk, er out of
date. You just have to love modern marketing.

Old October 25th 18, 05:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 25 Oct 2018 03:28:38 -0000 (UTC)
news18 wrote:

Initial plan is to get a basic trike to keep active and look at either
using my sloppy welding skills to build a basic bent, or when the
"overdraft" comes down again, buy one.

Keep an eye on https://www.ozhpv.org.au/forsale/forsale.html
sometimes trikes appear.

They do on ebay too but hard to find actual transport rather than
exercise bikes.

https://mrrecumbenttrikes.com/ have been known to sell old frames.

Zebee

Old October 25th 18, 11:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:54:32 +0000 (UTC)
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

If you want to try one before buying and you are able to get to
Campsie I can give you a ride on hers. My email address is valid.

I could not reply to your mail - your email provider doesn't like gmail.

Zebee

Anyone used Kinetics as a supplier? Duncan Smith UK 10 February 18th 08 06:41 PM
JaJa The Supplier B. Lafferty Racing 10 June 21st 06 02:08 AM
Reputable website for a new uni? (does seat post really matter?) zambonijones Unicycling 7 September 13th 04 01:24 AM
New Bike, Reputable LBS, So what is the Problem? Glm General 36 August 17th 04 03:18 AM
reputable online NON-USA source for BRIKO sunglasses??? w.a. manning General 1 May 17th 04 09:45 PM