Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

Old April 4th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

Per Steve Sr.:
So here I am sitting by the computer with my knee wrapped in an ice
pack.

Go easy. Back off. Your body will become less insult-tolerant with every year
and there's no sense insulting it any more than you have to.

You'll hear about of people who keep on pushing and pushing with apparent
invulnerability - but the reason you hear about them is that they're still in
the game. The ones who inflicted unrecoverable injuries on themselves just
quietly fade out as they are forced to seek other activities.

I don't have any idea what the percentages are either way, but it doesn't really
matter: if something's bothering your particular bod, that's all that matters.
If you can find a specific cause/solution, go for it... but don't figure on
gutting it out.

Also, if an orthopod suggests a surgical "fix", I'd do some homework on long
term outcomes. I know too many people who had, for instance, an offending
meniscus removed; went back to running; and wound up *really* messed up five
years later.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 6th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:23:31 -0700, jonisaacs wrote:

Disclaimer: I think cycling should be fun and enjoyable at every
moment. Never let training ruin a good ride...

Amen.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
_`\(,_ | should on no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams
(_)/ (_) |

Old April 7th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:23:31 -0700, jonisaacs wrote:

Disclaimer: I think cycling should be fun and enjoyable at every
moment. Never let training ruin a good ride...

Amen.

I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
?????
Is it just me?
Bill
Old April 7th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Bill Baka wrote:
David L. Johnson wrote:
[...]

Over use injuries usually take some to get to that overuse status. If
you've been cycling for a while and thus in cycling condition a few
hard sprints don't constitute overuse.

I do wonder about your trying to replicate a serious problem. Why would
you want to have knee pain?

Old April 7th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On 7 Apr 2006 09:13:46 -0700, "gds" wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:

[...]

Because it's little bill, and he is most likely leaving something out.
Remember, he isn't on a road bike, so who knows what his top gear
really is. Maybe a 42-12?

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old April 7th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

gds wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

[...]

The straight answer is that I shattered my right femur into the knee
joint when I was 21 and was curious to see if there were things that
should be avoided. I haven't been cycling that much over the winter
season due to California's rainy weather. There was also the thought
that I might find out something to help the OP, but it might just be a
personal knee problem and not one I have (yet).
Bill