Mountain Biker Paralyzed from the Neck Down!

Old November 11th 04, 06:54 AM
Westie

Default Mountain Biker Paralyzed from the Neck Down!

Mike Vandeman wrote:
So this is what we are advocating for out kids to get fit???!

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/vi...aspx?id=151737

Neck injury ends Cameron’s dream

Yeah, yeah. And bad **** happens to hikers too.

http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/ne...utate-arm.html
Old November 11th 04, 09:36 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

Mike Vandeman Wrote:
So this is what we are advocating for out kids to get fit???!
But now Cameron, who lives near Cockermouth, faces an even bigger
challenge *

Cockermouth? That's the funniest name ever. Is that your home town
Vandy?

But seriously, someone could be paralyzed falling down on flat ground
(it's possible i'm sure). The only time I ever broke a bone was
playing baseball. We risk our lives every day crossing the street,
might as well enjoy it by riding a MTB.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old November 11th 04, 02:30 PM
Pih Stof

"Mr_Kingkillaha"
wrote in message

Mike Vandeman Wrote:
So this is what we are advocating for out kids to get fit???!
But now Cameron, who lives near Cockermouth, faces an even bigger
challenge *

Cockermouth? That's the funniest name ever. Is that your home town
Vandy?

Godddamn, that brought tears to my eyes.

"...Cameron, who lives near Cockermouth, faces an even bigger challenge..."

I can't help but wonder if this is even a real news story, or if a real
editor works there.

Old November 14th 04, 05:54 AM
Westie

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:54:50 +1300, Westie wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote:
. So this is what we are advocating for out kids to get fit???!
.
.
. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/vi...aspx?id=151737
.
. Neck injury ends Cameron’s dream
.
.
.Yeah, yeah. And bad **** happens to hikers too.
.
.http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/ne...utate-arm.html

That is EXTREMELY rare. I have been hiking for over 50 years, with no serious
injury.

Just because you personally haven't sustained injury in the last 50
years doesn't mean that your sport is statisically without injury.
After-all, you personally haven't had to cut your arm off recently. Nor
have I had a spinal column injury.

Anyway, why am I bothering? Surprise me and add something constructive
to this conversation.
--
Westie
Old November 14th 04, 08:25 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

wrote:
..Mike Vandeman wrote:
.. So this is what we are advocating for out kids to get fit???!
.. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/vi...aspx?id=151737
.. Neck injury ends Cameron’s dream
..Yeah, yeah. And bad **** happens to hikers too.
..http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/ne...utate-arm.html
That is EXTREMELY rare. I have been hiking for over 50 years, with no
serious
injury.
===
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Hey Grandpa, maybe it's time to retire from the internet. Your
senility is getting "old" (thats a joke). Leave us young
whipersnappers to discuss biking, while you go watch Matlock.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old November 14th 04, 01:58 PM
Stephen Baker

Mr. Killinghaha says:

Hey Grandpa, maybe it's time to retire from the internet. Your
senility is getting "old" (thats a joke). Leave us young
whipersnappers to discuss biking, while you go watch Matlock.

Whilst I agree that Mikey-baby needs to be verbally chastised from time to
time, I would just like to remind you that there is a distinct "more mature"
element here already (back me up here, Sorni...) that will happily kick your
butts if the "senior" jokes continue after MV has gone back to sleep.

Steve "WTF is Matlock?..."

Old November 14th 04, 02:11 PM
Marty

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Mr. Killinghaha says:

Hey Grandpa, maybe it's time to retire from the internet. Your
senility is getting "old" (thats a joke). Leave us young
whipersnappers to discuss biking, while you go watch Matlock.

Whilst I agree that Mikey-baby needs to be verbally chastised from time to
time, I would just like to remind you that there is a distinct "more
mature"
element here already (back me up here, Sorni...) that will happily kick
your
butts if the "senior" jokes continue after MV has gone back to sleep.

Steve "WTF is Matlock?..."

Count me in................

Old November 14th 04, 02:38 PM
Ezookiel

Steve "WTF is Matlock?..."

Well here in Australia, it was one of the first "The Bill" style of TV
series'
i.e. really bad acting playing cops on the beat, and dates back to probably
the 60's or 70's

Alas, I can't tell you much more about it because even I'm not old enough to
have anything but the most hazy childhood memories of the opening sequence
of the show, and don't think I ever saw anything more than that, so it must
have been on about my bedtime as a whipper-Snapper.

Ezookiel

Old November 15th 04, 07:30 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

Stephen Baker Wrote:
Mr. Killinghaha says:

Hey Grandpa, maybe it's time to retire from the internet. Your
senility is getting "old" (thats a joke). Leave us young
whipersnappers to discuss biking, while you go watch Matlock.

Whilst I agree that Mikey-baby needs to be verbally chastised from time
time, I would just like to remind you that there is a distinct "more
mature"
element here already (back me up here, Sorni...) that will happily kick
your
butts if the "senior" jokes continue after MV has gone back to sleep.
Steve "WTF is Matlock?..."

There is a difference between old guys here and Mike. You guys are
human. You have more biking experience than me, and I enjoy learning
from your experience. Mike is just a grumpy old man that likes to
complain. Think about it, if you are a biker you don't really fit the
old man stereotype. Mike does fit that sereotype. Sorry if anyone's
offended (other than mike), but I will eventually be old too.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old November 15th 04, 12:05 PM
Stephen Baker

Mr. Killinghaha says:

snip some stuff

Sorry if anyone's
offended (other than mike), but I will eventually be old too.

Mr. K - you're only young once, but can be immature forever.

i.e. you don't ever have to _behave_ old... ;-)

Steve