Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old April 21st 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Don Piven

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Sez :
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:01:56 -0500, Don Piven
wrote:

Sez :
You do not set national policy for 60,000,000 people or
300,000,000 people based on the aberrant acts of one or two or 10 or
100 lunatics.

Better tell that to our Fearless Leader. He's been doing exactly that
since 9/11/01.

Wrong, moron. If you think 9/11 was 'just a small group of
lunatics', YOU are one of the lunatics.

It took nineteen people to change national policy on 9/11. That's still
way under your arbitrary pulled-out-of-your-ass limit there, even if you
count their support organization, who were all sitting on their
collective asses when the attacks occurred. These 19 people eventually
resulted in the US invading two countries and the US administration
wiping their collective ass with the freedoms of its own citizens.

Compared to the group of lunatics currently implementing national
policy, yeah, al Qaeda is "just a small group".
Old April 21st 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John Kane

You're not American by any chance?
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old April 21st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Plonk, you ****ing moron.

Compared to the group of lunatics currently implementing national
policy, yeah, al Qaeda is "just a small group".

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Old April 21st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
John Kane

Default we are #1in gun violence

On Apr 19, 7:45 pm, Larry Bud wrote:
"The U.S. is not the only country in which random acts of gun violence
have erupted in seemingly everyday circumstances to destroy lives,
families and communities," said Britain's Guardian newspaper. "But the
U.S. is one of the few countries that seems collectively unwilling and
politically incapable of doing anything serious to stop such things
happening again."The slayings Monday at Virginia Tech reinforced a
perception that in the U.S., it is "as easy to buy weapons as a loaf
of bread," in the words of one Russian woman on a Moscow street. "Any
madman can get hold of a gun," said Natalya Ivanova, a 22-year-old
secretary.

The murder rate outside of the inner cities in the US is very close to
the murder rate in Britain, and the inner cities are usually the areas
with the most constrictive gun laws.

And? The England and Wales stats include everyone just as the US
stats do. That suggests that even in the UK equivalent of an American
inner city one is much safer.

Oh and when did the customs searchs start at the borders to the inner
cities.

Old April 21st 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Apr 19, 11:28 pm, wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 18:51:46 -0700, John Kane wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:45 pm, Larry Bud wrote:
"The U.S. is not the only country in which random acts of gun violence
have erupted in seemingly everyday circumstances to destroy lives,
families and communities," said Britain's Guardian newspaper. "But the
U.S. is one of the few countries that seems collectively unwilling and
politically incapable of doing anything serious to stop such things
happening again."The slayings Monday at Virginia Tech reinforced a
perception that in the U.S., it is "as easy to buy weapons as a loaf
of bread," in the words of one Russian woman on a Moscow street. "Any
madman can get hold of a gun," said Natalya Ivanova, a 22-year-old
secretary.

The murder rate outside of the inner cities in the US is very close to
the murder rate in Britain, and the inner cities are usually the areas
with the most constrictive gun laws.

^ restrictive ?

Good. Quarantine the inner cities , have custom checks and body
searches on everyone entering or leaving the inner cities and get back
to us. The arguement is idiotic. If I can buy a gun in Virginia or
Maryland and take the Metro back to DC. then the law is useless.

Predictably, you miss the point.

No, you do. Your argument was that inner cities have the most
stringent gun law and that that should have deceased crime.

The problem with that argument is that there is no control on the
import of illegal guns. If you have criminal or otherwise law-abiding
citizen who wants a gun there is nothing to stop him from getting one
elsewhere and bringing it home. Until you have decent customs control
over D.C then expect illegal guns to be imported with impunity.

The point is, the vast majority of law-abiding people in this
country should not have their rights taken away in some vain attempt
to control the behavior of the monkeys in our ghettos.

Of course, I am not American and don't see any real rights being
violated.

I must say, though, I am impressed with your level of vitriol. I

By definition, only the criminals in DC have guns. Where /
how they got them is not the issue. The issue is that law-abiding
peole have been defacto unilaterally disarmed. Thus, the little
gang-bangers and other deviants have free reign, knowing that no
law-abiding person has the ability to shoot back, which makes them
safer targets.

Well that is one way to look at it. An alternative viewpoint is that
your country has managed to **** up your social system so badly that
violence is the only survival mechanism left to a lot of desperate
people and the 'haves' are left desparately trying to defend the
status quo with armed might.

Old April 21st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Apr 20, 2:13 pm, "Pork Torpedo" wrote:
"John Kane" wrote in message

oups.com...

Certainly would have been. On the other hand do you really want a
bunch of 19 year old students, whooping it up in the local univ bars
and carrying all sorts of heavy weaponry when the males get into a
strutting contest? Hell, you'd probably lose more people on a normal
Saturday night.

We're talking about LEGALLY posessed firearms. In order to buy a handgun
you have to be at least 21. Also being in possesion of a firearm while
intoxicated is against the law where I live and probably is everywhere else
as well.

Sorry, age of majority is 19 not 21 here and do you reallly expect a
19 or 21 year old to say 'Oops I cannot have drink "I'm in possesion
of a firearm"'? If you do, please explain drunk drivers.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old April 21st 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
John Kane

On Apr 20, 5:05 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
In article .com, John Kane wrote:
Certainly would have been. On the other hand do you really want a
bunch of 19 year old students, whooping it up in the local univ bars
and carrying all sorts of heavy weaponry when the males get into a
strutting contest? Hell, you'd probably lose more people on a normal
Saturday night.

Even 15 year olds with guns in their HS lockers worked fine for many
decades until people became children of the government.

I think you are talking about 2 different things. Taking a gun to
school because you're going hunting after school is not the same as
taking a gun to school just in case you need to shoot someone.

I remember taking a.22 rifle to school for a play when I was 15 or
16 . No problem,; we used it as prop in a reading of "The shooting of
dangerous Dan McGrew". (blancs) I was not carrying it for some
dubious idea of self-protection.

Nowadays given the mad paranoia about guns the only ones on school
property are likely to be there with no such good excuse.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old April 21st 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
John Kane

On Apr 20, 12:27 pm, wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:59 am, "Thumper" wrote:

You guys are rude, inconsiderate and a danger to motorists.

Thumper

Hilarious! Talk about the bottom of the bell curve... :-)

- Frank Krygowski

Err, Frank I think you're being too kind in assuming that the poster
knows what a 'Bell Curve" is.

Old April 21st 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Larry Bud

On Apr 19, 9:51 pm, John Kane wrote:
[...]

Why isn't the murder rate higher where the gun can be purchased rather
than in the area that has the most restrictive gun laws?

If you're a bad guy, you're going to get a gun no matter what the
laws. The difference is that you're going to commit the most crimes
where there's less of a chance of the good guy protecting himself.

Old April 21st 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Larry Bud

[...]

Let me just say this as well. I wasn't making any argument, I was
stating fact. If you fail to realize that the inner city culture is
the cause of the crime and not the availability to guns, then you'll
never even start to solve the plague that destroys the families that
live there.

Should Cyclists Pack Guns? donquijote1954 General 465 May 7th 07 03:25 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 01:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 10th 04 11:56 PM