Triple Crank

Old July 18th 03, 03:48 AM
James Hodson

Default Triple Crank

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:14:59 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

Plus, the real benefit of a triple occurs when you're tired. You might be
able to crank up a hill (I use a 39 front chainring and a pretty large rear
cog) in the beginning of your ride that you won't be able to get up at the
end.

Hi Bob

I haven't visited this NG for quite some time and I've just downloaded
some 10,000 messages. Naturally, reading all of them would take rather
a lot of thime. Nevertheless, this "Triple Crank" thread caught my
eye.

Last Saturday (12 July 2003) I had intended to cycle a short distance
from my home in Worthing on the South coast of England to Brighton -
only some 15 miles in each direction - to visit a local kiting
festival.

I had been reasonably ill for the previous few days but thought I'd
recovered enough to be able to trundle along the mainly flat roads.
Sadly, this was not the case. Having ridden only a handful of miles, I
coughed once or twice and then vomited all over the place. Not very
nice at all. No, sir. T'was rather like a cat doing its furball stuff.

As soon as I'd finished my wretched retching I turned around and
started to head back home.

Even though I'd been eating and drinking as well as I'd been able for
the previous few days I still felt absolutely exhausted. Fortunately I
had my granny ring and a big cog availble. Even though the roads
around here are flat I struggled to manage to maintain a speed above
walking pace. Eventually, I arrived back home and went straight to
bed.

So, Bob, IMO, three rings are definitely the way to go. You never know
when they'll come in handy. In addition to their post-vomiting use,
they're pretty handy for climbing the occasional far-too-lumpy bits
one comes now and again.

BTW, my cheapo road bike is the tripple ring version of the cycle seen
in my sig.

Regards
James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 18th 03, 07:28 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:48:59 +0100, James Hodson
wrote:
I haven't visited this NG for quite some time and I've just downloaded
some 10,000 messages. Naturally, reading all of them would take rather
a lot of thime. Nevertheless, this "Triple Crank" thread caught my
eye.

Similar situation here...I'm new to this NG, just started reading it a week
or two ago. I must have missed this thread, it's definately something I am
interested in.

So, Bob, IMO, three rings are definitely the way to go. You never know
when they'll come in handy. In addition to their post-vomiting use,
they're pretty handy for climbing the occasional far-too-lumpy bits
one comes now and again.

Additionally...

When I bought my Giant TCR2, last fall, I was strong from mountain biking
all year. Then we had a long, tough winter here in Rhode Island, and a
monsoon-style spring, and I was busy with work and school on the rare
occasion the weather was tolerable (or even when I considered riding in
opaque rain / lung-burning cold).

When I finally got a chance to start riding again, I wanted to enjoy my
pretty, new, barely ridden TCR2. Unfortunately, I got out-of-shape from all
of the above concerns, and now I am unable to make it far without hitting a
hill and walking the bike up it.

Now I really have to bust my balls to get in shape enough to _enjoy_ this
bike. I rescued an older Peugeot (the whole reason I came to this NG!) and
just took it on it's first ride (first with me, anyway) the other day --
and the triple-ring crank made it possible for me to ride an old [probably
steel] bike casually on the local roads where I can't ride my sub-20lb two-
chainring speed demon.

So, get the triple. Nothing to lose, and if you find yourself out of shape
from sickness, weather, work, whatever, you'll be able to ride when you
otherwise couldn't; and even strong and in good shape, you'll be able to
ride _any_ grade.

--
Rick Onanian