Training

Old July 16th 03, 11:07 AM

Default Training

Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:
: On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:58:45 -0700, "Sonarrat" from
: http://www.snowleopard.org/ wrote:

:I found all of this very encouraging, and I'd like to keep up training... but
:where should I start?

: Ride faster.

No, ride slower. You need the fitness base in the basic aerobic zone.

You can read the basics in training books for cyclists, get at
least one.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old July 16th 03, 07:29 PM
archer

In article ,
says...
"archer" wrote in message

In article ,

says...

I'm a light, agile and slender American, 6'1" and 130 lb, 20 years of age.
Euskaltel Euskadi would go out of their way for someone of my build...

grin
...that is, if I were in shape... and if I learned Basque and changed my

name to
Edurne Etxebarria. Anyway, I have fairly strong legs from inline racing,

and I
know how to handle a road bike... I got back on my dad's after a long time
without hardly any exercise, and I managed 22 miles at 12 mph. It seems I

have
a hummingbird heartbeat too, resting rate is about 80 bpm, maximum is around

200
and during that nearly 2-hour ride, I averaged 165 bpm in 95-degree F

weather
with no ill effects.

I found all of this very encouraging, and I'd like to keep up training...

but
where should I start?

It's simple: start riding a lot. Mix some longer, slower rides with
shorter harder ones, and throw in a few intervals just for fun.

That sounds good. I would appreciate a definition of "intervals," though. Is
it the same as in inline racing - several back-to-back sprints?

Yep; same as in running, too. AFAIK, the term "intervals" means
essentially the same thing in most sports, though often implies slightly
longer distances than the term 'wind sprints'. When I was running track,
"intervals" were usually 200m to 800m, while "wind sprints" were usually
40 to 100m. When I think of intervals on a bike, I am usually referring
to timed intervals from 30 sec to 5 min.

--
David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good

Old July 17th 03, 06:34 AM
Sonarrat

"archer" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"archer" wrote in message

It's simple: start riding a lot. Mix some longer, slower rides with
shorter harder ones, and throw in a few intervals just for fun.

That sounds good. I would appreciate a definition of "intervals," though.

Is
it the same as in inline racing - several back-to-back sprints?

Yep; same as in running, too. AFAIK, the term "intervals" means
essentially the same thing in most sports, though often implies slightly
longer distances than the term 'wind sprints'. When I was running track,
"intervals" were usually 200m to 800m, while "wind sprints" were usually
40 to 100m. When I think of intervals on a bike, I am usually referring
to timed intervals from 30 sec to 5 min.

Well, I took to the hills... there's a 2-mile loop around my home which is full
of them. I went around it twice and into a mountain-bike trail which shoots off
for several more miles, about an hour and a half of hilly roads, and there were
many points when my legs just couldn't turn any longer and I had to rest...
after all that, I took your advice and topped off with some interval training,
scaling a 20% grade four times in a row. I can already feel a difference.
Yesterday, I couldn't even get up that hill without taking a breather... and
that was when I was fresh. Today, I did it six times, four of them after I was
already really hurting. I was expecting to not see results for a long while,
but that is not proving to be the case.

To compensate for my lack of endurance in the hills, I plan on going out several
times over the course of the day - before and after each meal, around the same
hilly course. Once I'm strong enough to do this confidently, I'll start
venturing further away from home where the topology is more varied.

Thank you for helping me on my way.

-Sonarrat.

Old July 17th 03, 01:34 PM
Bob M

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:57:01 -0500, Kevan Smith /\/\
wrote:

On 16 Jul 2003 10:07:26 GMT,
from

:
http://www.snowleopard.org/ wrote:

:I found all of this very encouraging, and I'd like to keep up
training... but
:where should I start?

: Ride faster.

No, ride slower.

Slower than 12 mph over 22 miles? No way. You don't even start getting
aerobic
benefits until 13 mph, so riding slower than 12 won't do diddly to build
an
aerobic base.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
Can you MAIL a BEAN CAKE?

I'm currently riding about 12 miles in about 50 minutes., and 15 miles in
about 1 hour 10 minute, and my HR averages about 80-83% of my maximum HR,
and I get (and stay for two hills) within 5% of my maximum HR multiple
times during my ride. My ride is mainly hills. Perhaps you mean on flat
ground you don't get aerobic benefits until 13 mph?

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old July 17th 03, 01:51 PM
archer

In article ,
says...
"archer" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
"archer" wrote in message

[...]

I too found that the initial gains came quickly, perhaps due to
improvements in technique more than conditioning, but then leveled off
for a while until I increased my training.

To compensate for my lack of endurance in the hills, I plan on going out several
times over the course of the day - before and after each meal, around the same
hilly course. Once I'm strong enough to do this confidently, I'll start
venturing further away from home where the topology is more varied.

Thank you for helping me on my way.

You're welcome! Best of luck, and I hope to see you in the TdF in a few
years!