Steel & Aluminium

Old March 11th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

Default Steel & Aluminium

Remind me again, how does one get a bolt out of the rear drop when it's been
seized for a number of years?

Thanks

Old March 11th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article , elyob
wrote:
Remind me again, how does one get a bolt out of the rear drop when
it's been seized for a number of years?

Thanks

PlusGas

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !
Old March 11th 07, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom

elyob wrote:
Remind me again, how does one get a bolt out of the rear drop when
it's been seized for a number of years?

Thanks

If it's a steel bolt in an aluminium frame, try a kettle full of boiling
water poured over the dropout.

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg

Old March 11th 07, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , elyob
') wrote:

Remind me again, how does one get a bolt out of the rear drop when it's
been seized for a number of years?

First off, penetrating fluid. Second, if that fails, ammonia dissolves
aluminium oxide, which may help.

:: Wisdom is better than weapons of war ::
:: Ecclesiastes 9:18 ::
Old March 11th 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

mb wrote:

I very much doubt whether a hair dryer or boiling water will help.
What you need is a blow torch and Plus Gas.

Maybe, but might as well try the gentler methods first to minimise damage.
It's surprising how hot you can get metal with a hair dyer if you hold it
close for a while.

~PB

Old March 11th 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton

In message
Simon Brooke wrote:

in message , elyob
') wrote:

Remind me again, how does one get a bolt out of the rear drop when it's
been seized for a number of years?

First off, penetrating fluid. Second, if that fails, ammonia dissolves
aluminium oxide, which may help.

Actually it doesn't - not sufficiently alkaline ! Zinc oxide yes but Al2O3
No.

Tried it in a test tube to confirm but this is a standard test for Al.

Regards Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames
Old March 31st 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al

Hi all
Old March 31st 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"al" wrote in message
Hi all

Hi al

Aluminium frames Brendo Australia 5 February 16th 07 01:47 PM
steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes wafflycat UK 16 September 27th 05 06:33 PM
steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes POHB UK 0 September 26th 05 09:19 AM
steel vs aluminium budget touring bikes Simon Brooke UK 0 September 25th 05 04:32 PM
New Aluminium frame! monociclos Unicycling 5 February 26th 05 07:08 PM