Graeme Obree

Old September 8th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Default Graeme Obree

Last week I went to see _The Flying Scotsman_, and I've just finished
reading Obree's autobiography. I thought the film was a little
simple-minded, particularly about his mental illness, but it was moving
and warm-hearted and painted a sympathetic portrait of a troubled man.

The book is not going to win the author any literary prizes, but it's
very honest and clearly Obree's own voice (rather than that of some
back-page tabloid ghost-writing hack). He has an odd trait of using a
distinctive word or phrase in successive sentences, as though he felt he
had not quite finished the job of wrestling it onto the page. It's not
unlike his own struggle with his achievements, and the feeling that
anything he attained remained elusive all the same.

He is frank and utterly unself-pitying, even when writing about the
bleakest times. I can't actually say I read the book with enjoyment,
which seems a too-frivolous word. But I warmed to him greatly, and his
openness and straightforwardness attest to the same courage that
accompanied him on his often desperate endeavours on the track and road.

The book ends in 2003, after a series of hospitalisations, and on a
quiet note of optimism. I hope he has managed to find the happiness and
balance which seems to have eluded him for much of his life, but anyone
who has to fight such a cruel illness is never going to attain that
easily.

It's his birthday on Tuesday; he'll be 43. Happy birthday.

Daniele
Old September 10th 07, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

D.M. Procida wrote:
Last week I went to see _The Flying Scotsman_, and I've just finished
reading Obree's autobiography. I thought the film was a little
simple-minded, particularly about his mental illness, but it was moving
and warm-hearted and painted a sympathetic portrait of a troubled man.

Saw the movie too, and have flagged the book on my "To Read" list.

I wondered if he might be better off riding HPVs. The current (IHPVA)
Hour record is set by a 49 year old so he's clearly not too past it at
43, and he wouldn't have the Luddites Of Lausanne trying to disqualify
him for being different at every turn.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 10th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sep 10, 5:03 pm, Peter Clinch wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
Last week I went to see _The Flying Scotsman_, and I've just finished
reading Obree's autobiography. I thought the film was a little
simple-minded, particularly about his mental illness, but it was moving
and warm-hearted and painted a sympathetic portrait of a troubled man.

Saw the movie too, and have flagged the book on my "To Read" list.

I wondered if he might be better off riding HPVs.

Yeah, but you wonder than about everyone :-)

James

Old October 15th 08, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

He was on the bicycle island recently and the buzz is that he is
going back into training.

Old October 16th 08, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Sandy Morton wrote:
He was on the bicycle island recently and the buzz is that he is
going back into training.

I was impressed that the Argentine chaps that won the Olympic Madison
were older than me, about the same age as GO, so being over 40 is not
necessarily a deal-breaker...

Pete.
Old October 16th 08, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BigRab

He passed me in a ten one night (GD10 Westferry) going so fast I
nearly got off cos I thought I'd stopped.

Obree Robert Chung Racing 16 February 26th 05 02:18 PM
Flying Scotsman - The Graeme Obree Story [email protected] Racing 1 February 21st 05 05:39 PM
Obree Martyn Bolt UK 3 February 2nd 05 11:07 PM
Heads Up - Graeme Obree BBC1 Andrew Moray UK 16 January 27th 05 10:33 PM
Cycling Weekly: Graeme Obree book excerpts part 2 Sue Rogers UK 16 September 27th 03 10:14 AM