Gear slipping

Old June 12th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bornfree

Default Gear slipping

Hi

I have had my current bike for 8 months, and the gears slip a little
bit on occasions.

If I put off getting this fixed, will the problem become more
expensive to fix later?
Old June 12th 08, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

POHB wrote:
"bornfree" wrote
Hi

I have had my current bike for 8 months, and the gears slip a little
bit on occasions.

If I put off getting this fixed, will the problem become more
expensive to fix later?

You probably just need to adjust the gear cable tension a bit. There
should be a knurled knob where the cable joins the der. Select one
of the middle gears and twist the cable tension knob and you'll see
the mech move in or out a bit. Try to get it to line up nicely on
the cog. Go for a little test ride and fiddle around with the
tension until it changes nicely and doesn't slip.

There may also be a gear cable adjuster at the front of the bike that can be
adjusted while riding along. Rear and front adjusters do the same thing.
One of the adjusters probably just needs a quarter to half a turn.

If the chain is reluctant to shift to the next largest sprocket, turn the
adjuster anti-clockwise to tighten the cable, and vice versa.

Alternatively, if you've done a lot of miles your chain might be worn
out. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

If the chain is very worn you'll have to change the chainrings and
cassette too, but it isn't a huge expense or difficult job.

You don't always have to change the chainrings too; they tend to last
longer. If the chain is worn out, first of all try just replacing the chain
and cassette.

~PB

Old June 12th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Señor Chris

bornfree wrote:
Hi

I have had my current bike for 8 months, and the gears slip a little
bit on occasions.

If I put off getting this fixed, will the problem become more
expensive to fix later?

Depends what you mean by 'slipping'. Have you tried adjusting them ?
Old June 12th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

bornfree wrote:
Hi

I have had my current bike for 8 months, and the gears slip a little
bit on occasions.

If I put off getting this fixed, will the problem become more
expensive to fix later?

On a dearailleur there are two principal
causes of slip.

1) chain not in gear - effectively running in the gap
between two sprockets.

2) worn chain and/or wrong sprockets

case 1) AFAIK won't get worse, cost of fix constant.

case 2) will get worse over time. If the problem
is (at the moment) SOLELY a worn chain, the cost will
increase, since a worn chain damages chain rings
and sprockets. If the cause is SOLELY a worn chain
the fix is a new chain, which is cheap.

If the cause is worn chain AND sprockets,
again the cost is already "maxed" since the cure
is replacement.

BugBear

Old June 12th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:53:27 -0700, bornfree wrote:

Hi

I have had my current bike for 8 months, and the gears slip a little
bit on occasions.

If I put off getting this fixed, will the problem become more
expensive to fix later?

As other have said they may just need adjusting which you can do by hand
with no tools, but there are loads of reasons why the gears are slipping.

If your bike has seen some filth (e.g. used in wet/muddy conditions) and
if you have small cogs they could also be full of crud. Running a
screwdriver between the bottom few cogs will scrape some of this out.

This assumes you have derailleur gears, if you have hub gears which are
slipping it could be something serious (but unlikely) or it could be
something simple like the wheel not being straight which is easy to fix.

On my bike there's an unusual problem where the chain sometimes skips and
the chain appears kinked as it goes around in certain gears. When I work
out what this is and how to fix I'll let you know!

peter
Old June 12th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

"naked_draughtsman" wrote
On my bike there's an unusual problem where the chain sometimes skips and
the chain appears kinked as it goes around in certain gears. When I work
out what this is and how to fix I'll let you know!

That'll be a stiff link. Never had one myself, but apparently you can sort
them out by flexing the chain sideways where the stiffness occurs. A bit of
oil at that point would probably help too.

Old June 12th 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

POHB wrote:
[...]

If a more thorough adjustment is needed look at the Park Tools' website

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Steve C
Old June 12th 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:11:28 +0100, POHB wrote:

"naked_draughtsman" wrote
On my bike there's an unusual problem where the chain sometimes skips and
the chain appears kinked as it goes around in certain gears. When I work
out what this is and how to fix I'll let you know!

That'll be a stiff link. Never had one myself, but apparently you can sort
them out by flexing the chain sideways where the stiffness occurs. A bit of
oil at that point would probably help too.

Cheers for the tip of - that was one of my suspicions. I have 2 powerlinks
in the chain (as i cut the chain a bit short first time!) and 1 is always
difficult to undo and clip together again so I think it needs replacing
and throwing out.

peter
Old June 14th 08, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article , POHB
wrote:
On my bike there's an unusual problem where the chain sometimes
skips and the chain appears kinked as it goes around in certain
gears. When I work out what this is and how to fix I'll let you
know!

That'll be a stiff link. Never had one myself, but apparently you
can sort them out by flexing the chain sideways where the stiffness
occurs. A bit of oil at that point would probably help too.

Easy check for a stiff link is to lift the back wheel off the ground
a turn the pedals backwards.

Chain slipping on smallest gear Peter Goddard UK 16 May 21st 06 05:12 PM
Rear cog set slipping. WilburHonk UK 3 April 26th 06 10:52 PM
Chain 'slipping' - cause? Peewiglet UK 14 November 27th 05 08:59 PM
hot to keep grips from slipping. Fleaman Mountain Biking 6 November 19th 04 01:57 PM
slipping Thomas Techniques 2 October 11th 04 04:39 AM