Blue railway signals?

Old December 16th 18, 10:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

Default Blue railway signals?

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 16/12/2018 19:49, Rod Speed wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:37:49 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 14/12/2018 18:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
People with colour blindness shouldn't drive trains (or cars for that
matter).

And it's not very many, in fact I know of only one person who's
colourblind.

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's about
8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it until
tested later in life.

I think you'd notice when you saw all the traffic light bulbs looking
identical. You're not safe to drive if you can't tell red from green.

Very few are that colorblind and those who are
just use the position of the light, not the color.
Dunno how they go with those colored arrows
that are now so common to indicate when you
can turn at the more complex intersections tho.

Cant find a proper photo of ours and too lazy to
go there and take a photo, but we have some
where there is a normal column of 3 lights and
one arrow off to the side which changes color
to indicate when you are free to turn there.

Ours doesn't change colour. We have the normal three lights and maybe an
arrow at one side (sometimes both sides). If the main green is lit, but
not the turn arrow, you can turn anyway, but must give-way to oncoming
traffic. If the arrow is lit, oncoming traffic will be facing a red. There
is no need for any other colour arrows.

Where the turn lane is separated from the straight on lanes, two full sets
of three lights side by side are used.

One of our complicated intersections has the arrow either green or red.
Its red when the cross traffic has been allowed to make the turn into
that vertical of the T and so a turn from the other top bar of the T
isnt allowed because that would mean you have to give way at times.
In other words the lights don't require you to ever give way, the
arrow only shows green when there is never any conflicting traffic.

Another complex intersection has a railway shunting line right
across it right at the lights. That one has an arrow that changes
color too and it stops or allows traffic to cut across the oncoming
traffic when turning. Its also a single arrow that changes color.

Old December 16th 18, 10:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 21:47:50 GMT, Johnny B Good, an especially demented,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

You can't detect

The ONLY thing he "can", is make you senile idiots suck him off, any time he
he wants to be sucked off by one of you senile idiots!
Old December 16th 18, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:36:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH most of the troll**** unread

Pathetic excuses for trolls should get a bullet in the back of the neck.

Yeah, you are overdue for it, senile Rot!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Old December 16th 18, 10:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:25:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

colour is not needed in driving ,
take the traffic light for example ,
the top is red the bottom green ,
you don't need to see the colour

You do with some of ours. We have that column of
3 lights with another off to the side of the bottom
one with an arrow that changes color to allow or
disallow a turn at that intersection.

Auto-contradicting senile Rot ALWAYS has to go one better! I mean, ALWAYS!

LMAO

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Old December 16th 18, 10:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:14:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Very few of the color blind are that color blind.

HOW few, Mr Know-it-all! You should have the exact numbers in your senile
all-knowing head, shouldn't you? BG

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Old December 16th 18, 10:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:42:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

One of our complicated intersections has the arrow either green or red.

How VERY interesting!

FLUSH the rest of your usual lengthy senile drivel unread again

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Old December 16th 18, 11:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 08:56:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH over 100 lines of the usual senile stinking troll**** unread again

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Old December 16th 18, 11:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

wrote:

On 14/12/2018 18:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
People with colour blindness shouldn't drive trains (or cars for that
matter).

And it's not very many, in fact I know of only one person who's
colourblind.

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's about 8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it until
tested later in life.

I think you'd notice when you saw all the traffic light bulbs looking
identical. You're not safe to drive if you can't tell red from green.

Very few are that colorblind

I've never heard of partial colourblindness, mind you I've not heard of many colourblind people.

and those who are
just use the position of the light, not the color.

Sounds bloody dangerous to me. I use my full field of vision while driving. I can see pedestrians and dogs moving in my peripheral vision. I can see a light turning red in my peripheral vision.

Dunno how they go with those colored arrows
that are now so common to indicate when you
can turn at the more complex intersections tho.

They're always on the side they're pointing to, and they can see the shape surely?

Cant find a proper photo of ours and too lazy to
go there and take a photo, but we have some
where there is a normal column of 3 lights and
one arrow off to the side which changes color
to indicate when you are free to turn there.
That often has the forward traffic stopped but
the turn allowed with a green arrow. And at
times the turn not allowed either with a red
arrow in the same place as the green one.

Ah, that sounds more complicated than ours. We just have red, amber, green in a column, then some have a green arrow stuck on the left (for left turns) and the right (for right turns) of the green circular light.

Mind you, our system can cause accidents. There was one near here where sometimes you could go forwards but not right. The green circular light came on, but not the green arrow. Many drivers assumed green circle, go anywhere, and turned right into oncoming traffic. They replaced the circular light with a forward arrow, which is much more sensible. Mind you, that junction was much more efficient with no lights and a roundabout.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:07:18 -0000, Brian Gaff
wrote:

Yes I think that is where the confusion came from actually. So many
people
have colour blindness that blue is normally avoided.

Brian

Old December 16th 18, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

wrote:

[...]

That would work well here, as a lot of drivers don't seem to understand that you have to give way on a green. For example there's a crossroads here I've shown befo
https://goo.gl/maps/8XGD49FnQPr
Drivers on the opposite side turning right have to give way to a car coming from this side going straight ahead, but they see the green light and just go. I drove straight towards one of those loonies the other week and blasted my horn. He swerved out of my way and ended up looking very embarrassed on the wrong side of the main road (about where the small silver car is in the photo, but facing the other way) right in front of the queue of traffic which shortly wanted to go forwards. He got stranded in the middle of the junction for some time while I stopped and laughed at his predicament.

Another complex intersection has a railway shunting line right
across it right at the lights. That one has an arrow that changes
color too and it stops or allows traffic to cut across the oncoming
traffic when turning. Its also a single arrow that changes color.

There's something wrong when we let trains have priority over cars. They need to get decent brakes.
Old December 16th 18, 11:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Christopher McVitie

On 2018-12-16 2:52 p.m., Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 21:47:50 -0000, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 16:06:30 +0000, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:

====snip====

I'm not colour blind, and I don't look directly at the traffic lights.
I see red or green out of the corner of my eye and act
accordingly. If
they suddenly became the same or very similar colours, I'd make
mistakes
regularly. Are you saying a colour blind person already knows to look
carefully at things? I can't think of where else colour and position
are that important.

You can't detect colour 'out of the corner of your eye' (nor very much
detail for that matter).

Wrong. I can immediately spot brake lights or red traffic lights 45
degrees from where I'm looking. I in fact once did an eyesight test to
see how far I could see in periphery. So as the tester knew I could
really see the object, I had to say what colour it was. Colour can be
seen in your full field of vision.

However, what peripheral vision is good for, is
detecting changes in luminance levels which can alert you to potential
danger or reward (depending on whether you're the 'prey' or the
'predator').

And you need to know it's red so you know it's danger, and not just a
white headlight, or a green traffic light.

Traffic lights don't rely solely upon colour for their function since
the position of the 'stop', 'prepare to stop' and 'proceed with
caution'
lamps has been standardised, not only with colour blindness in mind but
also to speed up response/interpretation times in general.

Only if you look straight at them, which I never do. If you're colour
blind and have to do so, you're impeding your driving abilities, as
you're no longer concentrating on the area you need to look at.

Distant railway signals can't benefit from the layout of the signalling
lamps, leaving colour as the only useful marker which makes good colour
vision a vital requirement in the qualification of any train driver.

colour is not needed in driving ,
take the traffic light for example ,
the top is red the bottom green ,
you don't need to see the colour

You do if you want to see more than one thing at a time, which is a
basic requirement of driving.

Let's say you're driving along, watching the car in front of you, or a
pedestrian ahead. A properly sighted driver will know if the lights
ahead are red or green without moving their eyes. A colour blind driver
will have to look at the lights, and take their concentration and
central vision off the important things in front of them. Colour blind
drivers are unsafe and should be banned from driving.

well they aren't and they won't be so you don't get your way

It would go a long way to explaining why I frequently see drivers doing absolutely stupid things.

Mind you, being colourblind won't matter soon, as cars are now using any ****ing colour they like for lights. I see BMWs with orange sidelights! Orange means indicator, end of story.

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 03:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 01:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM