Why is Shimano so hated by some?

Old February 5th 04, 08:49 PM
BianchiJock

Default Why is Shimano so hated by some?

Perhaps the dichotomy resembles the culture wars that followed the
reformation.

One side feels that both athlete and equipment maker must prove worthy
of admittance to the cycling fellowship by showing proper respect for
its sacred traditions, its perfectionistic idealism or chivalry and its
mystical incorporation of art and elegance in all mechanical "vessels"
used in the ritual. Those who snub these aspects, seeking only results,
are seen as "heathens" who are ruining this most noble sport.

The other side feels that the bottom line and the great equalizer is
athletic prowess. The road is paved the same for everyone, and the first
one to the finish (within the rules and the bounds of good
sportsmanship) is indisputably the best. All ritualistic, artistic or
mystical considerations are just "silly" and those who worship these
aspects are seen as "snobs" and "elitists" hiding behind some arcane
gnosticism to hold down newcomers.

When we see Catholics and Protestants reunited, there may be hope for an
end to the Campy-Shimano wars.

Old February 9th 04, 10:22 PM
bear72

YOU HAVE LEARNED MUCH AND COME A LONG WAY GRASSHOPPER

-

Old February 9th 04, 10:22 PM
mikeo

QUOTE]Originally posted by BianchiJock Perhaps the dichotomy resembles
the culture wars that followed the reformation.

As a lapsed wannabe Daoist, I am glad to see the debate has switched
from racial mix to philosophy. I believe the dichotomy is encompassed in
the unity (which is the Dao) and thus will inherently achieve balance. I
pause to reflect that when Lao Tzu rode out the western gate to the
misty mountains on his blue buffalo circa 700 BCE, that he probably used
no componentry whatsoever.

However in moments when I lose grasp of the black pearl of wisdom I can
not help but agree with the venerable sage Bear72 QUOTE]FIRST THEY HAVE
THOSE UGLY WIRES STICKING OUT FROM THE BRAKE LEVERS. AND THEY INVENTED
AERO. BRAKE LEVERS 20 YEARS AGO. SECOND THE NEW TEN SPEED CRANK IS ABOUT
AS UGLY AS YOU CAN GET. CAMPY HAS ITALIAN STYLE..