What do you call "faux tandem" for kids?

Old May 28th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default What do you call "faux tandem" for kids?

What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.
Old May 28th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

On May 28, 12:24 am, wrote:
What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

Adams trail a bike
http://www.trail-a-bike.com/
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/adams-trail-a-bike.html
Old May 28th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 28, 1:24 am, wrote:
What do you call the attachment for a single bike that allows kids to
ride -- kids too young to pedal?

I want to do some online research, but I don't know what to google
for. I visit a couple bicycle store web sites, to no avail.

By the way, if you have any experience with one, I'm all ears. I want
to know how they attach; how easy they are to connect and disconnect.

Trail-a-bike.

The hitch is semi-permanently attached to the seat post - you can get
them separately if you have more than one bike you want to use with
the TaB. There's a socket on the end of the trail-a-bike that slips
over that part, then a spring pin goes through to secure it. It's a
matter of seconds to connect it each time. I lost or had stolen
several of the pins over the years, but my bike shop gave me a
replacement one, and I was able to find them at a hardware store
later.

Two options that aren't talked about much are a mirror for the
parent's bike and fenders for both.
Old May 28th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_9_]

The hitch is semi-permanently attached to the seat post - you can get
them separately if you have more than one bike you want to use with
the TaB. There's a socket on the end of the trail-a-bike that slips
over that part, then a spring pin goes through to secure it. It's a
matter of seconds to connect it each time. I lost or had stolen
several of the pins over the years, but my bike shop gave me a
replacement one, and I was able to find them at a hardware store
later.

Two options that aren't talked about much are a mirror for the
parent's bike and fenders for both.

Is a 4 year old child too young for the Trail A Bike?

thanks.

Old May 29th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Pat" wrote in message

Is a 4 year old child too young for the Trail A Bike?

No - that generally should be fine. I think we started at about age 5. The
great advantage of these contraptions is that you can range much further
with a kid on a trail-a-bike than you can with a kid on his or her own
bike - and you don't have to invest in a tandem.

Here's a story from a while back about such a ride:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...4?dmode=source

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old May 29th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 28, 8:42 am, "Pat" wrote:

Is a 4 year old child too young for the Trail A Bike?

Mine was - we had a rear mounted seat that was rated for 50 pounds,
and he was under 45 until he was six. It was first used with a hybrid,
then later a touring bike with fairly narrow bars (not recommended.)