Finally got this question answered....

Old June 21st 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,ca.environment,sci.environment

Default Finally got this question answered....

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:32:39 GMT, "JP" wrote:

August 25, 1996
Canyonlands National Park
Attn: Dave Wood
2282 S. West Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532

Your River Management Plan

Gentlepersons:

A park is nothing, without wildlife (wildlife = all nonhuman,
non-domesticated species, plants as well as animals). Without
wildlife, a park is nothing but a pile of rocks, which can't hold our
attention for more than a few minutes. By far the most interesting
part of any park is its wildlife, followed by prehistoric wildlife,
prehistoric humans, early humans, native cultures and peoples, and
early remnants of our own culture.

Obviously - they listened!
From the website:
Most visits to Canyonlands involve hiking, biking, boating or four-wheel
driving in the park's backcountry. Overnight trips are common. For day
trips, the Island in the Sky is the most accessible district, offering
expansive views from many overlooks along the paved scenic drive, as well as
several short hiking trails.

Old June 22nd 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

pauly wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:10:37 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

"pauly" wrote in message
ink.net...

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:35:55 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

Back to the trail. It's an amazing piece of work. Now that I am involved in
local trail work, I see trails in a totally different way now. Some of the
stone work ( crib walls etc) are just amazing.

I was hiking out of Yosemite Valley a couple of years ago and came across a
trail crew rebuilding some of the granite trails. I'm in construction and no
stranger to hard physical labor but I couldn't help but be impressed by these
folks working at high altitude.

Where in Yosemite Valley is high altitude?

Shawn
Old June 23rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Shawn" sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote in message
. ..

"pauly" wrote in message
ink.net...

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:35:55 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

Back to the trail. It's an amazing piece of work. Now that I am involved

in
local trail work, I see trails in a totally different way now. Some of

the
stone work ( crib walls etc) are just amazing.

I was hiking out of Yosemite Valley a couple of years ago and came

across a
trail crew rebuilding some of the granite trails. I'm in construction

and no
stranger to hard physical labor but I couldn't help but be impressed by

these
folks working at high altitude.

Where in Yosemite Valley is high altitude?

I was thinking about that, too. But he did say "out of". Depends on how
far out of the Valley.

Greg

Old June 23rd 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:57:32 -0700, Shawn wrote
(in article ):

"pauly" wrote in message
k.net...

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:35:55 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

Where in Yosemite Valley is high altitude?

Shawn

It was on the way up Half Dome from the valley somewhere between 4000' and
8000'. Is that high altitude? It is for me. I guess I was reacting more to
the labor and skill it takes to do that kind of stone work especially in
such steep terrain. Talk about breaking rocks in the hot sun.

Paul

Old June 23rd 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

pauly wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:10:37 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

"pauly" wrote in message
hlink.net...

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:35:55 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

Where in Yosemite Valley is high altitude?

Shawn

It was on the way up Half Dome from the valley somewhere between 4000' and
8000'. Is that high altitude? It is for me. I guess I was reacting more to
the labor and skill it takes to do that kind of stone work especially in
such steep terrain. Talk about breaking rocks in the hot sun.

Yeah, sounds like hard work to me too. I live at 7200 feet, so a lot of
Yosemite Valley, is that nice, thick, low altitude air to me. :-)

Shawn
Old June 23rd 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:16:55 -0700, Shawn wrote
(in article ):

"pauly" wrote in message
k.net...

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:35:55 -0700, small change wrote
(in article ):

Where in Yosemite Valley is high altitude?

Shawn

It was on the way up Half Dome from the valley somewhere between 4000' and
8000'. Is that high altitude? It is for me. I guess I was reacting more
the labor and skill it takes to do that kind of stone work especially in
such steep terrain. Talk about breaking rocks in the hot sun.

Yeah, sounds like hard work to me too. I live at 7200 feet, so a lot of
Yosemite Valley, is that nice, thick, low altitude air to me. :-)

Shawn

In that case I 'll have to look up to you.

Paul -sea level