How Could There Be So Many 'Bent Makers???

Old January 16th 06, 05:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default How Could There Be So Many 'Bent Makers???

Reminds me of the ol' Commodore Amiga (hello, Wogster; 'member that,
too?), and how there were like fifteen separate magazines devoted to
it, with another twenty that regularly covered it due to its
revolutionary promise at the time...within a year there was but three
left....

How could there be so many makers of 'bents, given that there seems to
be so small a market for it such that even NYC, Capital of the World,
hasn't got one damned 'bent dealer, with the closest one miles away and
available by special appointment during non-business hours only???

Then again, maybe us 'bent riders own two or three! I'm already
looking at the titanium Hase Pino tandem...how much is it?

Old January 16th 06, 09:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

NYC XYZ wrote:

How could there be so many makers of 'bents, given that there seems to
be so small a market for it

Same way there are lots of small custom building DF bike outfits...
They make quality niche products for a small clientele and charge large
amounts of money, which said clientele feel is worth paying.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old January 16th 06, 09:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

What got me wondering was Reynolds Weld Labs folding recently.

I hope no one else goes under.

We need all the brains we can get working hard on this market!

Old January 16th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

It seems to me that recumbent builders (at least in the US) survive
when they are "not too big, not to small". Clearly BikeE and Vision
became too big! That is they could not sell enough bikes to cover
their corporate overhead and make money. Similarly I am guessing that
a one man operation like George Reynolds probably couldn't make enough
money per bike to compensate him for the extensive custom labor he put
into each of his bikes. I think RANS, Bacchetta, and Volae are
probably the "right" size companies. Yet I wonder how RANS and
Bacchettta can offer so many models. Volae seems to have a good thing
going. First, Volae is a natural extension of a very successful retail
bike business (HostelShoppe). Next, they are not trying to build and
market a dealership network. Finally, they have essentially one frame
with mutiple options manufactured by a rock solid manufacturer,
Waterford Bikes.

Jim Reilly

Old January 16th 06, 01:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

NYC XYZ wrote:
Reminds me of the ol' Commodore Amiga (hello, Wogster; 'member that,
too?), and how there were like fifteen separate magazines devoted to
it, with another twenty that regularly covered it due to its
revolutionary promise at the time...within a year there was but three
left....

Commodore 64, remember that one?

How could there be so many makers of 'bents, given that there seems to
be so small a market for it such that even NYC, Capital of the World,
hasn't got one damned 'bent dealer, with the closest one miles away and
available by special appointment during non-business hours only???

Well the recumbent market, is very small, I read somewhere that it
represents only 1% of the total bicycle market. So bike shops know this
and IMO cater to the masses, which is why if you want a bent you just
might have to travel a bit further to get one.

Then again, maybe us 'bent riders own two or three! I'm already
looking at the titanium Hase Pino tandem...how much is it?

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old January 16th 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

NYC XYZ wrote:

How could there be so many makers of 'bents, given that there seems to
be so small a market for it such that even NYC, Capital of the World,
hasn't got one damned 'bent dealer, with the closest one miles away and
available by special appointment during non-business hours only???

My impression is that there are many more bent dealers per capita in the
Northwest than there are in the Northeast. For instance, Burley lists 4
bike shops within 20 miles of the Portland city center that sell their
recumbents. It lists 2 within 20 miles of downtown Seattle, 3 for Los
Angeles. And only 1 for NYC. I think it's a regional thing, and that
bents are more popular in some areas of the country than others. I don't
know what factors drive that difference in popularity, but it seems like
I see many more bents on the streets of Portland than cities of
comparable size in the Northeast.

---
John Knez
Old January 16th 06, 05:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

There are other small successful builders too, and so far Catrike and
Whizwheels have built up their businesses to make and sell large quantities
of three wheelers. Don't forget about J&Bs EZ line of bent 2 nad 3 wheelers
available to any bike shop that's a J&B customer.

Old January 16th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"John Knez" wrote in message
NYC XYZ wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind it's one thing to be "listed" as a bent dealer and quite
another to actually have product

(as I found out with Optima, Challenge and M5)

Old January 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Mark Leuck wrote:

Keep in mind it's one thing to be "listed" as a bent dealer and quite
another to actually have product

(as I found out with Optima, Challenge and M5)

Double-LOL!!

Hase Spezialraeder listed some unusual US dealers -- a sleep-away
obediance school for dogs in North Carolina and wheelchair dealer in
Rhode Island, among others -- some of whom don't seem to actually sell
any Hase bikes!!!!

Old January 17th 06, 09:03 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

oldslowbenter wrote:

There are other small successful builders too, and so far Catrike and
Whizwheels have built up their businesses to make and sell large quantities
of three wheelers. Don't forget about J&Bs EZ line of bent 2 nad 3 wheelers
available to any bike shop that's a J&B customer.

I understand that J&B is anything but small - rather they are a major
player in the Taiwanese bicycle and bicycle component manufacturing
cartel.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

'Bent Thefts and Robberies in The City? NYC XYZ Recumbent Biking 11 January 10th 06 07:22 PM
recumbents suck EVsolutions Recumbent Biking 30 September 10th 04 06:56 AM
Wheel and arm bent Roja Doja UK 40 August 13th 04 10:01 AM
Bicycle Mag -- Bent Stuff Joe Keenan Recumbent Biking 1 January 29th 04 03:44 PM